inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1979 TV Short Film about Middle East Madman - Nostradamus Prediction

Written By: Robertfranklin on 04/09/09 at 1:35 pm

Does anyone know the name of the short movie made for TV based on the following information:
Around 1979 there was a short movie made for TV about a dictator in the Middle East who built a deep underground military base in which he was going to start World War III.
The short film was based on a Nostradamus prediction.
I thought the film was produced by a company called Orion Productions or maybe the company was called Omega Productions, but have not been able to find it under that name.
:D

Subject: Re: 1970s TV Short Film about Middle East Nostradamus Prediction

Written By: Mushroom on 04/11/09 at 2:50 am

I think you are talking about The Man Who Saw Tomorrow.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081109/

It was produced in 1981 by Warner Brothers, and narrated by Orson Wells.  It appears every year or so on Hostory Chanel, often with some updated sequences.  I remember seeing it in the early 1980's, and off and on again over the years since then.

Between 1975-1983 there were a lot of things like this produced.  The Lincoln Conspiracy, The Late Great Planet Earth, Future Shock, there were a slew of "pseudo-documentaries" made.  Even TV got on the bandwagon with "In Search Of...".

Written By: Robertfranklin on 04/11/09 at 12:00 pm

The made for TV short film I am referring to was aired on TV between 1977 - 1978.
The film was indirectly implicating an Iranian or Iraqi dictator/madman as a person who was going to start World War III.
This madman had a deep underground bunker from which he was conducting his dirty deeds.
It was a very well produced film.
The film group who produced the film may have had ties with Jewish roots.
Maybe the purpose of the film was to drum-up support to bomb Middle East nuclear reactors.
It was a very convincing, very scary film.

:-X  :-X  :-X

Written By: Mushroom on 04/12/09 at 11:19 am

The made for TV short film I am referring to was aired on TV between 1977 - 1978.
The film was indirectly implicating an Iranian or Iraqi dictator/madman as a person who was going to start World War III.
This madman had a deep underground bunker from which he was conducting his dirty deeds.
It was a very well produced film.
The film group who produced the film may have had ties with Jewish roots.
Maybe the purpose of the film was to drum-up support to bomb Middle East nuclear reactors.
It was a very convincing, very scary film.

Well, I have to admit, I question the time frame you are giving.

Saddam did not even come to power until July 1979.  That is the same year that construction started on the Al Tuwaitha Nuclear Center.

Such a movie would have been made both before Saddam took power, and construction on the nuclear plant that Israel would destroy in 1981.  And at that time Iran was in the hands of the Shah, which makes no sense.  At the time, Iran was the most pro-western and pro-Israel country in the region.

You might want to check your dates.

Written By: Robertfranklin on 04/12/09 at 1:25 pm

Saddam did not even come to power until July 1979.  That is the same year that construction started on the Al Tuwaitha Nuclear Center.

Such a movie would have been made both before Saddam took power, and construction on the nuclear plant that Israel would destroy in 1981.  And at that time Iran was in the hands of the Shah, which makes no sense.  At the time, Iran was the most pro-western and pro-Israel country in the region.

Mushroom:

You are correct that my dates are off, but the TV movie I remember seeing was not aired in the 1980s.
It may have been aired in late 1979.
At the time I was living with a girlfriend in Van Nuys, CA in a small guest house.
From there I moved into an apartment complex called Oakwood Garden Apartments in Van Nuys somewhere in the beginning of 1980 or the late months of 1979.
The TV short movie I saw I do not remember as being a documentary. It could be possible that part of the Orson Wells movie was released ahead of time under a different title with some real-life acting added to the movie for political purposes.

:-[

Written By: Capt Quirk on 04/13/09 at 1:20 pm

Um... isn't that around the same time Iran took all those hostages? Not very "Pro Western" if you ask me.

Written By: Mushroom on 04/15/09 at 3:57 pm

You are correct that my dates are off, but the TV movie I remember seeing was not aired in the 1980s.
It may have been aired in late 1979.
At the time I was living with a girlfriend in Van Nuys, CA in a small guest house.
From there I moved into an apartment complex called Oakwood Garden Apartments in Van Nuys somewhere in the beginning of 1980 or the late months of 1979.

Small world.  I was in Van Nuys also, Kester & Victory to be precise.  And I still can't remember the movie you are talking about.  Hopefully somebody else will think of it.

The closest that I can seem to find do not sound right, or have almost no information.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071923/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0270585/

Um... isn't that around the same time Iran took all those hostages? Not very "Pro Western" if you ask me.

But that happened in November 1979.  Not enough time to make a movie based on it.

Check for new replies or respond here...