inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lighthouse (Band)

Written By: whistledog on 04/11/09 at 10:39 pm

I was going through my albums and realized I hadn't done a proper thread on this group.  I was gonna do this as a poll, but they didn't have enough success Stateside for anyone to recognize a whole handful of their hits. 

Lighthouse was a Canadian rock band comprised of 13 members (quite possibly one of the largest ensembles of a group who had regular chart success).  They had many hits in their homeland, but success in the States was quite limited.  If you liked 'Sunny Days and 'One Fine Morning', I urge you to investigate further.  My favourite is still 'Pretty Lady'.  It's quite fun to sing along to ...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b142/brainpoopie/Lighthouse.jpg

1969 - Feels So Good
1970 - The Chant
1971 - Hats Off (to the Stranger)
1971 - One Fine Morning
1972 - Take it Slow (Out in the Country)
1972 - I Just Wanna Be Your Friend
1972 - Sunny Days
1973 - You Girl
1973 - Broken Guitar Blues
1973 - Pretty Lady
1974 - Can You Feel It
1974 - Good Day

Subject: Re: Lighthouse (Band)

Written By: Henk on 04/12/09 at 1:23 am

Can't say that I remember the band and/or the songs, although they did have some minor success in Holland. I probably was too young back then.

Both "One Fine Morning" and "Little Kind Words" got stuck in bubbling under section.

Written By: whistledog on 04/12/09 at 1:38 am

Can't say that I remember the band and/or the songs, although they did have some minor success in Holland. I probably was too young back then.

Both "One Fine Morning" and "Little Kind Words" got stuck in bubbling under section.

An additional song :o  Always nice to see success abroad.  They did absolutely zip in the UK, but it's nice to see they did atleast chart outside of North America :)

Written By: gibbo on 04/12/09 at 2:24 am

Just listened to One Fine Morning  and Pretty Lady on youtube. Hadn't heard those songs before..... quite enjoyed them both. One Fine Morning reminded me of Chicago with the intro.....

Written By: DonnaV on 04/12/09 at 4:38 pm

I discovered the Lighthouse Family Band about 9 years ago while on Napster. I thought it was a British band. Anyway, Ocean Drive is a great song by them.
I discovered several bands that I would never have been aware of because they were primarily British. The best example is probably Topsider. Their remix of "Dancin' In The Moonlight" just makes you want to dance and shout 'Thank You, Jesus"!

Written By: Frank on 04/12/09 at 5:08 pm

I was going through my albums and realized I hadn't done a proper thread on this group.  I was gonna do this as a poll, but they didn't have enough success Stateside for anyone to recognize a whole handful of their hits. 

Lighthouse was a Canadian rock band comprised of 13 members (quite possibly one of the largest ensembles of a group who had regular chart success).  They had many hits in their homeland, but success in the States was quite limited.  If you liked 'Sunny Days and 'One Fine Morning', I urge you to investigate further.  My favourite is still 'Pretty Lady'.  It's quite fun to sing along to ...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b142/brainpoopie/Lighthouse.jpg
Certainly I remember this band. Great band.

Pretty lady, Sunny days and take it slow are 3 great songs. And yes, "One fine morning" intro can remind one of a Chicago type song. I almost saw them in concert once but had other plans.

Notice the Toronto skyline in the background of your pic, which must have been taken before 1972 as the Commerce Court wasn't even in the picture yet. That black building is the TD bank.

1969 - Feels So Good
1970 - The Chant
1971 - Hats Off (to the Stranger)
1971 - One Fine Morning
1972 - Take it Slow (Out in the Country)
1972 - I Just Wanna Be Your Friend
1972 - Sunny Days
1973 - You Girl
1973 - Broken Guitar Blues
1973 - Pretty Lady
1974 - Can You Feel It
1974 - Good Day

Written By: whistledog on 04/12/09 at 6:30 pm

I discovered the Lighthouse Family Band about 9 years ago while on Napster. I thought it was a British band. Anyway, Ocean Drive is a great song by them.
I discovered several bands that I would never have been aware of because they were primarily British. The best example is probably Topsider. Their remix of "Dancin' In The Moonlight" just makes you want to dance and shout 'Thank You, Jesus"!

The Lighthouse Family are indeed a British Group, which is a different group from this one in this thread ;D

Written By: Henk on 04/13/09 at 1:39 am

The Lighthouse Family are indeed a British Group, which is a different group from this one in this thread ;D

In Donna's defence: Lighthouse Family are (by far) the more popular of the two, internationally, so it's an easy mistake to make. Even I was thinking "Lighthouse Family" when I read the topic title. ;)

BTW: welcome to the boards, DonnaV. :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/13/09 at 9:29 pm

Lighthouse - cool!  I know three of their songs:

One Fine Morning
Sunny Days
Pretty Lady

I like all three of these diverse but worthwhile tunes, each for different reasons  :)  BTW all three been featured on my favorite 70's radio show, Super Groovy 70's

Check for new replies or respond here...