inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone Remember the Jeepers Creepers Ad?

Written By: ahabsfan on 05/12/09 at 7:32 pm

I seem to remember a commercial on TV that used the song Jeepers creepers where'd you get those peepers, jeepers creepers where'd you get those eyes. Does anybody remember what that ad was for? I beilieve it was glasses or sunglasses but I can't seem to find any info out there on it. I believe it was in the 70's. Thanks for any assistance.

Subject: Re: Anyone Remember the Jeepers Creepers Ad?

Written By: Frank on 05/13/09 at 12:53 am

I seem to remember a commercial on TV that used the song Jeepers creepers where'd you get those peepers, jeepers creepers where'd you get those eyes. Does anybody remember what that ad was for? I beilieve it was glasses or sunglasses but I can't seem to find any info out there on it. I believe it was in the 70's. Thanks for any assistance.

I remember this commercial & the line "Jeepers creepers where'd you get those peepers" in that commercial, but don't remember the year nor the product, sigh...

Written By: Gaylon on 05/13/09 at 8:26 am

I think it was an ad for Maybelline eye make up.

Written By: snozberries on 05/13/09 at 4:59 pm

I was going to say bosh and laum (sp?) for contacts. I can hear the ad very clearly in my head but I cannot see it.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/13/09 at 7:15 pm

I vaguely remember the ad.  It may well have been Maybelline - they advertised a lot - or perhaps another makeup line that advertised.

Hmmm, I don't think it was for contact lens solution...you just didn't see ads like that for contact lens stuff in the early 70's  :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 05/13/09 at 8:42 pm

I vaguely remember the ad.  It may well have been Maybelline - they advertised a lot - or perhaps another makeup line that advertised.

Hmmm, I don't think it was for contact lens solution...you just didn't see ads like that for contact lens stuff in the early 70's   :-\\

Honestly I thought the ad might be from the 80s

Written By: anabel on 05/13/09 at 9:49 pm

Was it for Foster Grants sunglasses?

Written By: snozberries on 05/13/09 at 9:51 pm

that would make sense since they were always asking in the commercials where they got their foster grants

Written By: karen on 05/13/09 at 9:56 pm

I thought it was a sunglasses advert. 

I did try searching but only found a reference to a recent UK advert for the Ford Focus

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/16/09 at 12:21 pm

That's what I was going to say.

Cat

Written By: Bill on 07/11/10 at 1:19 pm

Hi everybody,

I clearly remember the JEEPERS CREEPERS, WHERE'D YOU GET THOSE PEEPERS? ad, from the 1970s/80s.

While the song played, the camera panned on a little boy, circling around his head from the back to the front, until it settled on his face, which had the appearance of having two black eyes.

The ad was a public service message from the Hemophiliacs Society, not an ad for sunglasses.

Hope that helps!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/12/10 at 2:39 am

I certainly remember singing the jingle.  I didn't know it was to sell a certain product.

:-\\

Written By: Danny on 07/27/10 at 12:49 pm

Hi everybody,

I clearly remember the JEEPERS CREEPERS, WHERE'D YOU GET THOSE PEEPERS? ad, from the 1970s/80s.

While the song played, the camera panned on a little boy, circling around his head from the back to the front, until it settled on his face, which had the appearance of having two black eyes.

The ad was a public service message from the Hemophiliacs Society, not an ad for sunglasses.

Hope that helps!                                                                                                                                                                                So thats what it was about?! I remember hearing that old song on the tv from time to time when I was a kid in the early/mid '70's but didn't pay much attention to  the message it was for.  Danny

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/27/10 at 3:30 pm

Hi everybody,

Hope that helps!

No, I don't think it was anything like this, at least not the original ad (maybe the song was used later for a public service ad).  I vaguely remember the original ad -  it was almost certainly makeup.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/27/10 at 9:48 pm

Siouxsie and the Banshees use the same rhyme in their song "Peep Show."
8)

Written By: KMunday on 02/09/11 at 4:18 am

I have just stumbled upon this topic, as a friend and myself were thinking about this add the other day and for the life of me can not find this flippin advert anywhere, but I do remember it from the early 80s.
although I thought it was for kids shoes/trainers?
Think I am going to have to keep going for now, but if ANYONE can find this please post the link.
Many thanks

Written By: deb on 04/08/11 at 8:10 pm

I remember a commercial with jeepers creepers song ~ it was about hemmophelia (a blood disorder commonly suffered by boys) awareness ~ it featured a little boy with big eyes

hope this helps

Written By: Deb on 02/10/12 at 8:22 pm

Jeepers Creepers is a popular 1938 song and jazz standard. The music was written by Harry Warren and the lyrics by Johnny Mercer, for the 1938 Warner Brothers movie Going Places. It was premiered by Louis Armstrong and has since been covered by many other artists.

OverviewThis song was featured in the 1938 film Going Places starring Dick Powell, Anita Louise and Ronald Reagan. Louis Armstrong appears in the part of Gabriel, the trainer of a race horse named Jeepers Creepers. Jeepers Creepers is a very wild horse and can only be soothed enough to let someone ride him when Gabriel plays the song "Jeepers Creepers" on his trumpet or sings it to him. Louis Armstrong's character, Gabriel, had written the song specifically for the horse, Jeepers Creepers.

Although the song was written as a romance, it has garnered a reputation for being creepy for its use in the horror film Jeepers Creepers, in which one of the main characters is shown with their eyes taken out while the song is playing.

The famous lyrics of the song are:
"Jeepers Creepers, where'd ya get those peepers?
Jeepers Creepers, where'd ya get those eyes?"

Popular cultureThis song is featured in the 1939 Warner Bros. cartoon by the same name. In this cartoon, Porky Pig investigates a haunted house inhabited by a mischievous ghost that sings this song.
In the 1941 cartoon Notes to You, a cat sings this song which annoys Porky Pig.
In the 1942 film, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Jeepers Creepers is sung by a group of kids who pass by the house of George M. Cohan (played by James Cagney).
An excerpt of the song was played in one early scene of the 1955 film The McConnell Story.
In the 60s, the melody was used for a group of singer-songwriters in Catalonia, self-called "Els Setze Jutges" (The Sixteen Judges) at the beginning of their shows. They replaced the words "Jeepers Creepers" with "Setze Jutges". The song appears at the end of an album called "Homenatge musical als Setze Jutges" (Concèntric, 1965; reiussed Enderrock Discos, 2010) in an instrumental form, played by Francesc Burrull.
In an episode of "F Troop" entitled, "How to be F Troop Without Really Trying", Lt. Mark Harrison (Les Brown, Jr.) quotes a line from the song to Wrangler Jane (Melody Patterson) even though "F Troop" is set roughly seventy years before the song is even written.
Episode of the popular Scooby Doo cartoon series entitled, "Jeepers Creepers, It's the Ceeper."
In the 1975 movie The Day of the Locust, the character Faye Greener (Karen Black) sings the song whenever she wants to disturb her father.
In 1985, the song was used in a campaign for Jell-O pudding for its pudding pies magazine recipe and TV commercial tie-in.
In an episode of the anime series Robotech, he song was sung by the idol singer Minmei.
In 1988,"Peek-a-Boo", the first single from Siouxsie and the Banshees's ninth studio album Peepshow, was found to be too similar to the lyrics of "Jeepers Creepers". To remedy the situation and to avoid legal action, Siouxsie and the Banshees gave co-songwriting credit on "Peek-a-Boo" to Warren and Mercer.
The 1993 film Sleepless in Seattle featured an instrumental version of the song, to which Meg Ryan and Bill Pullman's characters danced. Pullman's character sings the words "Dim sum" to the tune of the chorus.
In 1996, The HBO sketch comedy series Mr. Show produced a song of the same title with Jack Black as lead, during the second episode of the second season.
In an episode of "X-Files" entitled "Triangle", the song is played at a ball on a luxury passenger liner, Queen Anne.
In an episode of "Friends", a widow is seen performing the song, entertaining guests at her husband's wake.
The song and title was featured prominently in the 2001 horror movie Jeepers Creepers when The Creeper is nearby (it is released by United Artists, which at one point held the rights to Going Places).
A recording of the song was made by The Puppini Sisters on their 2006 debut album Betcha Bottom Dollar.
In the August, 15th, 2003 edition of the webcomic Penny Arcade, a prison inmate convicted of killing someone after cutting out his eyes and playing with them sings this song, pulling up a freshly plucked pair of eyes at the climax. The strip is entitled "From Another Human Being." http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/8/15/
A few seconds of the song are heard in a 2010 episode of Family Guy entitled "Welcome Back Carter".
An instrumental version of this

Written By: Nick on 10/02/12 at 9:06 pm

I seem to remember it being on ad for Jeepers Creepers realting to sneakers "Jeepers Creepers where did you get those sneakers?" I've had that little jingle spinning in my grey matter for over 30 years...

Written By: christiena on 04/06/13 at 10:46 am

It was for Down syndrome...it was a commercial in the 80's.  I just had this conversation with my son.  Growing up seeing this commercial we saw the kids that had Down syndrome & the communication was different then today.  I didn't want my kids to grow up not knowing about every culture and different ailments that people suffer from and didn't want my kids not respecting individuals just because of what is wrong with them.

Written By: LJ on 04/26/13 at 3:51 pm

Yes, there was a commercial for Foster Grants in the late 60's and early 70's that used the jeepers creepers where'd ya get those peepers, jeepers creepers, where'd ya get those eyes!

The lyrics have been used in many different productions.  Those Foster Grant commercials were one of my favorites.

Check for new replies or respond here...