inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Finally, Archie will pick either Betty or Veronica!

Written By: anabel on 05/20/09 at 8:03 pm

Comics’ perpetual teen will propose in an upcoming issue — but to whom?

By Mike Celizic
TODAY books
updated 11:54 a.m. ET, Wed., May 20, 2009
The worldwide financial collapse was a Sunday school picnic compared to this. Come August, civilization as we know it is coming to an end: Archie Andrews is getting married.

You read that right. After 68 years of keeping not one, but two high school hotties on a string, comics’ most successful player is getting hitched (even the supposedly invulnerable Superman succumbed to Cupid’s arrow and let Lois Lane drag him up the aisle back in 1996). Is nothing sacred?

The news leaked out Wednesday on the Internet and in the official source of all things relating to celebrity gossip, the New York Post, which ran the shocking story under the headline: “BETTY OR VERONICA? ASK ARCH”

Archie Comics’ official blog confirmed the epochal news, digging into its cache of exclamation marks to declare: “ARCHIE ANDREWS IS GETTING MARRIED!”

The blog continues: “The eternal love triangle is the cornerstone of Archie Comics for over 65 years — and the bane of Archie Andrews' existence! In fact, over the years it has not only defined the Betty/Archie/Veronica relationship, but has even threatened to dismantle it a time or 20.”

According to the blog, the six-part story of Archie’s long-delayed passage into adulthood will begin in Issue 600 of his eponymous comic book “Archie.” It will ship on Aug. 12 and be available in comics shops on Sept. 8.

In the story, Archie has finally graduated from Riverdale High School; in fact, he’s five years older and a college graduate. (We told you this was the apocalypse.) He may even have an actual job when he gets engaged.

But to whom? Will it be the elegant Veronica Lodge, daughter of wealth and privilege? Or will it be girl-next-door Betty Cooper?

Subject: Re: Finally, Archie will pick either Betty or Veronica!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/20/09 at 8:32 pm

WHAT? That's impossible!  It'll rip a hole in the fabric of the universe!

I knda figured after high school, Veronica would end up with Reggie who would become the asshole junior partner at Mr. Lodge's firm.  Jughead would get hitched to Betty, have a gaggle of kids and take over the malt shop when Pop retired.  Archie would become the perpetual skirt-chaser until he's collecting social security, and Moose would tie the knot with Dilton Doiley in Provincetown!
:P

Written By: snozberries on 05/20/09 at 8:35 pm

It better be Betty.  >:(

Written By: whistledog on 05/20/09 at 8:52 pm

It better be Betty.  >:(

I hope so too.

I know it's only a comic, but Archie Andrews is the biggest dumbass in the world.  He's too blind to see that Betty is head over heels in love with him, would do anything for him, and would be the happiest girl in the world if she could be the one he wants to spend the rest of his life with. 

Does Veronica like Archie?  Sure, but she mostly uses him and would drop him for another guy in a heartbeat.  Is Archie aware of this?  Sometimes yes and sometimes no, and still he continues to lust after her.  This is dumbassery at it's best!

Written By: snozberries on 05/20/09 at 9:05 pm

I hope so too.

I know it's only a comic, but Archie Andrews is the biggest dumbass in the world.  He's too blind to see that Betty is head over heels in love with him, would do anything for him, and would be the happiest girl in the world if she could be the one he wants to spend the rest of his life with. 

Does Veronica like Archie?  Sure, but she mostly uses him and would drop him for another guy in a heartbeat.  Is Archie aware of this?  Sometimes yes and sometimes no, and still he continues to lust after her.  This is dumbassery at it's best!

Exactly the argument I would have made had anyone asked me why B over V... O0

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/20/09 at 9:06 pm

Betty can do better.  Archie has had a fear of commitment for 65 years, it's a little late for him to change his ways now.  lol

Written By: snozberries on 05/20/09 at 11:22 pm

Betty can do better.  Archie has had a fear of commitment for 65 years, it's a little late for him to change his ways now.  lol

Very good point..... same thing can be said for big ethel and Jughead  :D

Written By: Frank on 05/21/09 at 12:10 am

Veronice is so hot, sooo hot.

Written By: woops on 05/21/09 at 1:24 pm

I never knew the comic was still around. Though I know  there was a cartoon and a fictional band in the '60's, but nothing more like superhero comics have appeared on many movies, cartoons, merchandises, etc. over the years.

Though there's comic strips that lasted long without or very little exposure outside of the newspapers.

Written By: Capt Quirk on 05/21/09 at 6:29 pm

He gonna go Mormon and marry them both, finally getting that Menage a Trois he's always dreamed of... until the day Betty and Veronica discover it was each other they always loved, and leave Archie a drunken shell of a man.

I hate it when that happens.

Written By: anabel on 05/21/09 at 6:40 pm

He gonna go Mormon and marry them both, finally getting that Menage a Trois he's always dreamed of... until the day Betty and Veronica discover it was each other they always loved, and leave Archie a drunken shell of a man.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Michael C. on 05/21/09 at 6:51 pm

Hmm......good point..............
I hope so too.

Written By: whistledog on 05/21/09 at 8:11 pm

You never know though.  Maybe he'll dump both Betty and Veronica and choose Cheryl Blossom.

Or or or or maybe he'll bump off Moose and steal Midge, or maybe it'll be like a Mrs. Robinson thing and he'll end up with Ms. Grundy :D

"Why Ms. Grundy, are you trying to seduce me?"

Written By: snozberries on 05/21/09 at 8:54 pm

I never knew the comic was still around. Though I know  there was a cartoon and a fictional band in the '60's, but nothing more like superhero comics have appeared on many movies, cartoons, merchandises, etc. over the years.

Though there's comic strips that lasted long without or very little exposure outside of the newspapers.

there was a TV movie done about a Decade or so ago it was called return to Riverdale...the Adult, live action, Riverdale gang returns for a reunion... If I recall it correctly Archie did marry B but was still drooling over V... its been awhile so I could be wrong about this.

BTW.... this story was a Hot Topic issue on the View today  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 05/21/09 at 8:55 pm

I thought about that myself....today while watching the view.....

Both... ideas actually... glad I wasn't the only one....

;D

Written By: robby76 on 05/21/09 at 8:59 pm

Or or or or maybe he'll bump off Moose and steal Midge, or maybe it'll be like a Mrs. Robinson thing and he'll end up with Ms. Grundy :D

Or he may bump off Big Ethel for some bromance with Jug!

Okay I went too far there. Archie should remain good and wholesome! I still have MANY comics / digests in my room. I went into a stage of buying them again a few years back. They're still everywhere in bookstores which is nice to see.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/21/09 at 10:08 pm

Veronice is so hot, sooo hot.

There's a reason why the official Archie website quashed fan fiction.  You've got a couple of nubile teenage girls and a very horny young dude...and yet nothin' going on!  There wasn't an Archie reader in the world (especially me) who didn't think, "Saaaaay...I wonder what really goes on in Riverdale."  So, if fans get to write their own storyboards the temptation is too great...

Riverdale was actually based on Haverhill (pronounced "Hay-vrill"), Mass., which is just a jog up the highway from where I went to school, North Andover.  Princiipal Archie creator Bob Montana went to high school in Haverhill back in the the '30s. 

Written By: Capt Quirk on 05/22/09 at 2:22 pm

Or he may bump off Big Ethel for some bromance with Jug!

You somehow picture Jughead as the Butch?

Written By: Capt Quirk on 05/22/09 at 2:26 pm

I thought about that myself....today while watching the view.....

Both... ideas actually... glad I wasn't the only one....

;D

You've had that happen too? Bummer.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/22/09 at 2:38 pm

WHAT? That's impossible!  It'll rip a hole in the fabric of the universe!

I knda figured after high school, Veronica would end up with Reggie who would become the asshole junior partner at Mr. Lodge's firm.  Jughead would get hitched to Betty, have a gaggle of kids and take over the malt shop when Pop retired.  Archie would become the perpetual skirt-chaser until he's collecting social security, and Moose would tie the knot with Dilton Doiley in Provincetown!

I always thought that Veronica would end up with Reggie, too.

Who knows, maybe Archie might end up with Reggie. After all, gay-marriage is allowed in 5 states now.  :D ;D ;D

Ok, serious, he HAS to pick Betty because if he picks Veronica, they will end up in a divorce sometime down the road because he doesn't make enough $$$$$$ to keep her-can you say "High Maintenance?"

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 05/22/09 at 4:03 pm

Who knows, maybe Archie might end up with Reggie. After all, gay-marriage is allowed in 5 states now.  :D ;D ;D

Nah, those opposites don't attract.  I think Archie would prefer Jughead.  After all, with that pointed nose he has, Jughead could pleasure Archie without ever having to pull his pants down :D

Yeah, I know .. that was wrong lol

Written By: snozberries on 05/22/09 at 4:17 pm

Nah, those opposites don't attract.  I think Archie would prefer Jughead.  After all, with that pointed nose he has, Jughead could pleasure Archie without ever having to pull his pants down :D

:o

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/23/09 at 12:31 am

Karma!

Dude, you naaasty!  (I like it!)
;)

Written By: Frank on 05/23/09 at 12:34 am

I'll say this again, Veronica is so, so hot.
Hottest comic book character ever.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/23/09 at 12:38 am

I always thought that Veronica would end up with Reggie, too.

Ok, serious, he HAS to pick Betty because if he picks Veronica, they will end up in a divorce sometime down the road because he doesn't make enough $$$$$$ to keep her-can you say "High Maintenance?"

Maybe Archie would get married to Ronnie and she'd finance his political career, like another guy we know from Massachusetts....
8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/23/09 at 12:39 am

I'll say this again, Veronica is so, so hot.
Hottest comic book character ever.

Hey Jughead, put your Hot Dog away!

Written By: snozberries on 05/23/09 at 1:42 am

Jughead's dog is Hot Dog... ew that gives new meaning to him loving Hot Dog

Written By: Michael C. on 05/23/09 at 9:08 am

Damnnnnnnnnn...... :o

:D  ;D

Written By: anabel on 05/23/09 at 9:14 am

What have you all done to my thread?  All this sleazy talk about Archie and Jughead and threesomes and bro-mances?  It's just disgusting!!  8-P

Good job!  ;D

Written By: anabel on 05/23/09 at 9:19 am

Speaking of hot cartoon characters...for some reason I find Kevin from Ben 10 Alien Force strangely attractive. Black hair and brown eyes, he has this dark, tough guy, moody personality, but he's still a good guy.

Written By: Frank on 05/23/09 at 11:49 am

It wasn't me, twas the woman who made me do it (Biblical reference to the garden of eden)
Doesn't anyone else find Veronica hot? Isn't anyone else here attracted to a 2 dimentional cartoon character?  :D

Written By: woops on 05/23/09 at 2:20 pm

I pretty much prefer Josie & The Pussycats, which were from the comics... though not sure in same universe since I don't read them and aware that they're far different than the 70's cartoon  :D

Written By: snozberries on 05/23/09 at 6:44 pm

What have you all done to my thread?   All this sleazy talk about Archie and Jughead and threesomes and bro-mances?  It's just disgusting!!  8-P

Good job!   ;D

we have a gift... you should have seen what we did in the thread when that Deep Throat watergate informant guy died.....  ;D

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=35340.0

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/24/09 at 1:25 am

It wasn't me, twas the woman who made me do it (Biblical reference to the garden of eden)
Doesn't anyone else find Veronica hot? Isn't anyone else here attracted to a 2 dimentional cartoon character?  :D

YES! Of course!  I was gonna order the X-Ray Specs so I could see what Betty and Veronica looked like without their clothes on, but I thought the investment was too risky!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

Written By: Frank on 05/24/09 at 1:30 am

YES! Of course!  I was gonna order the X-Ray Specs so I could see what Betty and Veronica looked like without their clothes on, but I thought the investment was too risky!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

Hope I'll see on on youtube someday. Veronica...uncovered. Or videos of Archie and Veronica on the wedding night. He won't be dissapointed.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/24/09 at 1:41 am

Hope I'll see on on youtube someday. Veronica...uncovered. Or videos of Archie and Veronica on the wedding night. He won't be dissapointed.

Last panel: You're good Archiekins...but Daddy is still the best!"
:-X

Written By: Frank on 05/24/09 at 1:44 am

Can you imagine Edith Bunker saying that?

Written By: snozberries on 05/24/09 at 1:57 am

8-P

Written By: Michael C. on 05/25/09 at 12:10 am

;D      :D

we have a gift... you should have seen what we did in the thread when that Deep Throat watergate informant guy died.....  ;D

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=35340.0

Written By: Jessica on 05/28/09 at 11:10 am

They announced which one today.  For some reason, it was all over the news. :P

Written By: Frank on 05/28/09 at 12:12 pm

Veronica is the chosen one! (She's so hot)

This won't work. Veronica will find someone else fast, when Archie's dull life will bore her to death. Betty doesn't seem like one to have an affair afterward (she isn't the fatal attraction type, nor is she the type to do coke now and OD).
Should have chosen Betty, then the affair with Veronica, then the ensuing cat fight between Betty and Veronica...and then Ned Flanders marries Betty, Archie becomes a priest. Veronica joins a biker gang and Reggie goes on American Idol and becomes USA's version of Susan Boyle.  :D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/28/09 at 1:59 pm

Veronica is the chosen one! (She's so hot)

This won't work. Veronica will find someone else fast, when Archie's dull life will bore her to death. Betty doesn't seem like one to have an affair afterward (she isn't the fatal attraction type, nor is she the type to do coke now and OD).
Should have chosen Betty, then the affair with Veronica, then the ensuing cat fight between Betty and Veronica...and then Ned Flanders marries Betty, Archie becomes a priest. Veronica joins a biker gang and Reggie goes on American Idol and becomes USA's version of Susan Boyle.  :D

You've thought about this alot, haven't you?  ??? :D

They announced which one today.  For some reason, it was all over the news. :P

Slow news day.  Susan Boyle hasn't gotten her eyebrows plucked recently, so they have to print about something.

Archie married for the money.  It's perhaps a smart thing to do in these tough economic times.  I wonder where Veronica is registered.  :D

Written By: Frank on 05/28/09 at 2:29 pm

You've thought about this alot, haven't you?   ??? :D

Slow news day.  Susan Boyle hasn't gotten her eyebrows plucked recently, so they have to print about something.

Archie married for the money.  It's perhaps a smart thing to do in these tough economic times.   I wonder where Veronica is registered.   :D

Will Susan Boyle sing at their wedding?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/28/09 at 2:45 pm

Will Susan Boyle sing at their wedding?

Maybe! 

Josie and the Pussycats can be the live band at the reception.

I wonder if Betty will be a bridesmaid, as she is first runner-up.  If, for some reason, Veronica can't complete her term, then Betty will be made Mrs. Archie Andrews

Written By: anabel on 05/28/09 at 4:20 pm

Awwwwww, you guys beat me to it!  I just got home from work and saw the news....I think he'll be sorry!
Betty was obviously the right choice, but this will make for years and years more comic books....My vision is this:
Veronica resents being a stay at home Mom to their 4 little Archie-kins, she cheats on Archie with Reggie, then Jughead, then she gets bored with them and decides to become a stripper while Archie is working as the Maintenance Man at their high school..  Then she'll become a complete cokehead, Archie will wonder why they never have sex anymore, then he'll call Betty, who will  have become a world known, jet setting designer like Veronica DIDN'T because she married Archie, and then.........Betty won't give him the time of day!!!  The last issue will be Archie driving off the Golden Gate Bridge in his Yugo, thus ending it all.

Written By: Frank on 05/28/09 at 5:13 pm

Awwwwww, you guys beat me to it!  I just got home from work and saw the news....I think he'll be sorry!
Betty was obviously the right choice, but this will make for years and years more comic books....My vision is this:
Veronica resents being a stay at home Mom to their 4 little Archie-kins, she cheats on Archie with Reggie, then Jughead, then she gets bored with them and decides to become a stripper while Archie is working as the Maintenance Man at their high school..  Then she'll become a complete cokehead, Archie will wonder why they never have sex anymore, then he'll call Betty, who will  have become a world known, jet setting designer like Veronica DIDN'T because she married Archie, and then.........Betty won't give him the time of day!!!  The last issue will be Archie driving off the Golden Gate Bridge in his Yugo, thus ending it all.

Sounds better than my story ( a few posts above)    If Veronica becoms a stripper, I am SO THERE!
But you turned my off when she's cheating with Jughead. Somehow in all of this, Brian from "Family guy" must get in the picture somewhere.
I think they really screwed up having Archie not marry Betty. They will regret. Then again, they could do like the TV show "Dallas" and one day Betty wakes up and gos to the shower and sees Bobby Ewng Archie (her husband) there, and it was all a bad dream (Except for Veronica being a cokehead stripper, of course. Brain (from family guy) could be her pimp)

And Waylon Smithers murders them all in an act of jealousy towards Archie-poo

Written By: Michael C. on 05/28/09 at 7:25 pm

;D    :D   

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/29/09 at 6:01 pm

Jug's to decent of a guy to diddle around with Ronnie, she's not his type anyway.  I see Reggie boasting about his bad intentions to Jughead, and Jug slyly letting Moose in on it, and Moose goes over and flattens Reggie like a bug. 

Anyway, I think this is bullcrap.  Archie was destined for Betty.  The way the classic Archie was played, he was a sort of All-American Boy-Next-Door.  So, Betty is his counterpart.  It seemed doubtful to me in the first place that Veronica would attend public high school -- and certainly not in Haverhill (the town on which Riverdale is based).  More likely she'd be in a nearby prep school.  She's not that bright, so she probably wouldn't be at Andover or Groton unless, Mr. Lodge had some pull.  She'd probably be at one of the second-tier joints, like Brooks or Governor's. 

Mr. Lodge was always portrayed as disliking Archie, but tolerating Ronnie slumming it in high school.  College would be another story.  Archie would study engineering at UMass while Ronnie would major in English at Amherst.  Maybe they'd fool around a bit, but after Ronnie's junior year in Paris, Mr. Lodge would say, "Alright, dear, now no more shenanigans, no more tomfoolery, no more ballyhoo!"  In her senior year, she'd get engaged to Hubert Von Throckmorton III.  Betty would have gone to Smith on scholarship and she and Archie would go from there.
8)

Written By: whistledog on 05/29/09 at 7:56 pm

Wanna know why Archie chose Veronica?  See, it's all a very simple scheme concocted between both Archie and Betty.

They both know what Veronica is like.  She'd drop Archie in a second if a better man came along, so on the day before Archie and Veronica will consumate their marriage, he and Betty lure a good looking guy (whom they have paid off) secretly into the arms of Veronica.  Then in comes Archie with a new video camera he has purchased so they can take pictures of the sights while on their Honeymoon in the Bahamas, and BANG!  Caught on tape:  Veronica with another man .. ADULTERY!!!  Can you say Divorce Settlement?

Archie may be a clumsy dolt, but he ain't no fool!  When he saw the movie 'Heartbreakers', he was taking notes. 

Betty has just lost Veronica as her best friend, but does she care?  Not really!  With Veronica out of the equation, she has Archie all to herself, and with all of that money, she can just buy herself new friends!  MWHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!

Now the BIG question remains:  Will Archie and Betty tie the knot? 

Written By: Frank on 05/29/09 at 11:23 pm

More importantly, after that happens, will Veronica become a cokehead stripper.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/09 at 12:50 am

More importantly, after that happens, will Veronica become a cokehead stripper.

Ronnie gets caught up with the radical chic on campus and ends up brainwashed by the Symbionese Liberation Army, later videotaped robbing the Riverdale Savings Bank!
8)

Written By: Animation Nutt on 04/16/10 at 10:56 pm

So, Archie decides go with Val from the Pussycats instead...  ;)

http://www.img.archiecomics.com/blog/a608_0.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...