inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Obscure bands of the 70's

Written By: punk_emo_tx on 06/21/09 at 7:49 pm

I've never searched the web for 70's bands before and can't find any lists etc. of the more obscure 70's bands.  Can anyone direct me to such a site?  This site will be helpful in my soul music search.  What little I've found (just 3 or 4 sites so far) is list after list of the same 30 or 40 bands...boring...IMHO.  On the other hand it is very helpful to noobies of 70's rock.  I just want to search for those bands I missed back in the day.

Thanks for any help. 

Subject: Re: Obscure bands of the 70's

Written By: whistledog on 06/21/09 at 10:29 pm

I doubt if there would ever be a site to list them all as it would almost be an endless list.  Plus, there are a few things to consider:

♦ What is considered obscure?
♦ What was obscure in one country might not have been in another
♦ Different countries had their own obscure bands

Here's a small sample of some obscure bands/songs that we had in Canada during the 70s.  I could post way more, but it would take alot of time (which I may do later) LOL

Basic Black and Pearl - There'll Come A Time, There'll Come A Day
Octavian - Good Feeling (to Know)
Myles and Lenny - Hold on Lovers

Written By: zcrito on 06/22/09 at 5:01 pm

I've never searched the web for 70's bands before and can't find any lists etc. of the more obscure 70's bands.  Can anyone direct me to such a site?   This site will be helpful in my soul music search.   What little I've found (just 3 or 4 sites so far) is list after list of the same 30 or 40 bands...boring...IMHO.   On the other hand it is very helpful to noobies of 70's rock.  I just want to search for those bands I missed back in the day.

Thanks for any help.  

What little I've found (just 3 or 4 sites so far) is list after list of the same 30 or 40 bands...boring...IMHO

What do you have so far? You know, so we don't waste time giving you what you already have.

Written By: Claybricks on 06/22/09 at 7:38 pm

A good place to start is with a professional music reference book by Joel Whitburn.

This book covers every song that hit the Billboard Top 100 from 1955 - 2005

https://www.recordresearch.com/pop/billboard_hot100_annual_1955_2005.php

This book 'Top Pop Singles' includes 'Bubbling Under Hits' (under the top 100)

http://www.recordresearch.com/pop/top_pop_singles_1955_2008.php

Dan

Written By: Frank on 06/23/09 at 12:55 am

For Canadian bands and songs, I often go to this site:
http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/B/home.html

I browse by artist to look for a song I can't find.

Check for new replies or respond here...