inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: favorite Private Detective 70's

Written By: snozberries on 06/24/09 at 3:44 am

I purposely left out Columbo and McCloud and the Streets of San Francisco guys because they are police detectives....

if you really feel the need to count them consider them an other....

Also I wanted to include Sally McMillian but usually her nosiness coupled with her police commissioner's husbands skills and resources combined to solve the mysteries....

sorry I forgot to change the poll count so you can only pick one.....

Subject: Re: favorite Private Detective

Written By: snozberries on 06/24/09 at 3:47 am

I picked Charlie's Angels.

Subject: Re: favorite Private Detective 70's

Written By: mooster on 06/24/09 at 4:18 am

I purposely left out Columbo and McCloud and the Streets of San Francisco guys because they are police detectives....

I have to say Columbo - second choice would be Starsky & Hutch

Special mention goes to Aus. show "Ryan" 

Written By: Capt Quirk on 06/24/09 at 7:31 am

Um... Starsky and Hutch were Police Detectives too. And where is Magnum? I guess I'll have to go with the Angels too.

Written By: robby76 on 06/24/09 at 7:41 am

Damn, you split up the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew!!! Surely they were a team...  ;D

I gave the slight nudge to Nancy Drew as her storylines were a bit more engaging. Charlie's Angels would've come second.

http://www.supernaturalcrime.com/Art/joefranknancy.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 06/24/09 at 8:10 am

Um... Starsky and Hutch were Police Detectives too. And where is Magnum? I guess I'll have to go with the Angels too.

did you guys miss the point where it was the middle of the night and I was bored... I forgot S&H worked for a dept because they always seemed rogue to me... oh well its not a perfect poll but it gets people talking about these shows so yay

Written By: snozberries on 06/24/09 at 8:10 am

Damn, you split up the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew!!! Surely they were a team...  ;D

I gave the slight nudge to Nancy Drew as her storylines were a bit more engaging. Charlie's Angels would've come second.

http://www.supernaturalcrime.com/Art/joefranknancy.jpg

;D

Written By: whistledog on 06/24/09 at 8:32 am

You missed Richie Brockelman from the list :P

I was always partial to Jim Rockford

Written By: Frank on 06/24/09 at 12:27 pm

I voted for Jim Rockford.
I also liked the show "Ellery Queen"

Written By: Capt Quirk on 06/24/09 at 3:20 pm

did you guys miss the point where it was the middle of the night and I was bored... I forgot S&H worked for a dept because they always seemed rogue to me... oh well its not a perfect poll but it gets people talking about these shows so yay

Excuses, excuses... :P

Written By: loki 13 on 06/24/09 at 4:36 pm

From the list I chose Banacek, I was close to choosing "other" because I really liked Joe Mannix as well.

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/24/09 at 7:52 pm

Dan Tanna.  I just loved Robert Urich in that role.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 06/24/09 at 7:54 pm

You missed Richie Brockelman from the list :P

I was always partial to Jim Rockford

who the hell heck is Richie Brockelman? some candian gumshoe I've never heard of perhaps?  :P

Written By: snozberries on 06/24/09 at 7:54 pm

Dan Tanna.   I just loved Robert Urich in that role.   :)

me too!

Written By: snozberries on 06/24/09 at 7:55 pm

From the list I chose Banacek, I was close to choosing "other" because I really liked Joe Mannix as well.

mannix I did forget... sorry.

Written By: whistledog on 06/24/09 at 8:06 pm

who the hell heck is Richie Brockelman? some candian gumshoe I've never heard of perhaps?  :P

A private eye created by Steven J. Cannell and Steven Bochco and was played by American actor (and now famous director of alot of Adam Sandler films) Dennis Dugan.  Richie Brockelman was introduced in a 1976 TV Movie and was later worked into episodes of 'The Rockford Files' before becoming a spin-off titled 'Richie Brockelman, Private Eye' that ran for 6 episodes in 1978 before being cancelled LOL

Loyal fans of 'The Rockford Files' may remember him

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/126/brockelman.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 06/24/09 at 8:22 pm

A private eye created by Steven J. Cannell and Steven Bochco and was played by American actor (and now famous director of alot of Adam Sandler films) Dennis Dugan.  Richie Brockelman was introduced in a 1976 TV Movie and was later worked into episodes of 'The Rockford Files' before becoming a spin-off titled 'Richie Brockelman, Private Eye' that ran for 6 episodes in 1978 before being cancelled LOL

Loyal fans of 'The Rockford Files' may remember him

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/126/brockelman.jpg

apparently that aint me  ;D 

Written By: zcrito on 06/24/09 at 9:47 pm

I voted for "The Rockford Files".
I think the best ones were the ones that also had Angel, Lance White or Freddie Beamer.

Angel...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNjv35DfSo4

The only other good '70s "detective" shows I would add to the list would be something like "Lou Grant".
Not a detective show per se, but they did do investigative journalism.

Written By: Michael C. on 06/24/09 at 9:56 pm

From the list.........Banacek........I was very pleased the complete series was released on DVD......EXCELLENT Series....
Not on the list........City of Angels.......Premiered on NBC in Februay of 1976 & only lasted 13 episodes.
Obviously influenced by the big screen success of Chinatown......the series starred Wayne {M*A*S*H*} Rogers as 1940's P.I. , Jake Axeminster , in Stephen J. Cannell's series.

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/9376/62092585.th.jpg

Another favorite was {I believe} 1973's Harry-O w/ David Janssen.
The series, first set in San Diego, then Los Angeles, follows Harry Orwell, an ex-cop turned private investigator. On the force, Orwell is shot in the back and disabled. Rather than being forced to retire He becomes a P.I.

Written By: Womble on 06/25/09 at 8:35 pm

I voted "other" for any one of the ' Snoop Sisters '.

Written By: Michael C. on 06/25/09 at 9:24 pm

Great series with Helen Hayes and Mildred Natwick.......Part of NBC's Mystery Movie series....
Before Murder She Wrote....There was....The Snoop Sisters.
I voted "other" for any one of the ' Snoop Sisters '.

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/25/09 at 10:08 pm

Rockford all the way...
Because of:

Great acting, great writing, great direction.

Bizarre, strange, but somehow lovable recurring characters. (Any show that almost got Issac Hayes and Lou Gosset Jr. a detective spin off of their own is a damn good one) ::)

Wonderfully seedy and twisted bad guys.

Excellent action sequences and car chases/driving. The Firebird, guys, its all about the 400ci motor in the Firebird and those cool "Rockford" turns.

Harmonica music and just most of the show music in general fit so well.
Funny and odd opening answering machine sequences.

It was just a fun show to watch, written with a good sense of humor and reality, and never really "jumped the shark" like so many others did.
Besides how many detectives get the living crap beat out of them ever episode, never gets paid, but still manages to stay in the business? 8)

Written By: tony odonnell on 01/17/11 at 11:57 am

hello can any one help me looking for the name of a series about a ex con turned detective or something along that line,in 70s early 80's he drove a sports car i think red i remember it being on sunday mornings about the time when little house on the prarie was on please help me email is odonnell186@btinternet.com ,many thanks tony

Written By: snozberries on 01/18/11 at 1:22 am

hello can any one help me looking for the name of a series about a ex con turned detective or something along that line,in 70s early 80's he drove a sports car i think red i remember it being on sunday mornings about the time when little house on the prarie was on please help me email is odonnell186@btinternet.com ,many thanks tony

Rockford Files... Jim Rockford did prison time and drove a transam or was it a camero they look identical to me...

http://www.tvcrazy.net/tvclassics/classics/images/rockford-files.jpg

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/18/11 at 6:51 am

Rockford Files... Jim Rockford did prison time and drove a transam or was it a camero they look identical to me...

http://www.tvcrazy.net/tvclassics/classics/images/rockford-files.jpg

Apparently it's a Firebird...it says so right there on the front plate.  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 01/18/11 at 12:48 pm

Apparently it's a Firebird...it says so right there on the front plate.  ;)

I noticed that but decided not to correct my post... apparently all three look alike to me!  ;D

Written By: Hud on 01/18/11 at 6:57 pm

Mannix? Ironside? I wouldn't have voted for either anyway. I guess Baretta was a cop.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/23/11 at 1:32 pm

Yeah, there were a lot of PIs in the 70s weren't there? But you forgot THESE guys.

http://literalminded.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/scooby-doo-tv-01.jpg

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/23/11 at 1:47 pm

Yeah, there were a lot of PIs in the 70s weren't there? But you forgot THESE guys.

http://literalminded.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/scooby-doo-tv-01.jpg

Cat

;D

Written By: ralfy on 03/20/16 at 5:57 am

"'Rockford Files' regular Joe Santos dies at 84"

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-rockford-files-joe-santos-dies-20160318-story.html

Check for new replies or respond here...