inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Actress Farrah Fawcett Dies at 62

Written By: Claybricks on 06/25/09 at 12:51 pm

Actress Farrah Fawcett Dies at 62

By Alexander F. Remington
Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, June 25, 2009; 1:05 PM

Farrah Fawcett, 62, golden-haired sex symbol of the late 1970s most remembered for her appearance on bedroom posters and the detective series "Charlie's Angels" and who later found a niche portraying troubled women in made-for-television dramas, died today at a hospital in Santa Monica, Calif., of cancer.

Ms. Fawcett was a Texas-born college dropout who parlayed success as a model for toiletries such as Ultra Brite toothpaste and Wella Balsam shampoo into a viable acting career.

Still a relative unknown, she achieved two iconic roles at the same time in 1976. On Wednesday nights, she was Jill Munroe, the blond Angel on the ABC detective drama produced by Aaron Spelling. The rest of the week, she was the star attraction on a poster that sold a record 12 million copies. Haloed by the curls of her impossibly buoyant curly hair, wearing a red swimsuit that left little to the imagination, she entered the dreams of adolescent boys everywhere and brought women into hair salons to copy her style.

Thanks to her radiant sexuality, Ms. Fawcett became the breakout star of "Charlie's Angels," appearing in such suggestive episodes as "Angels in Chains," where she and her beautiful co-detectives -- played by Kate Jackson and Jaclyn Smith -- went undercover on a chain gang. The show's tone led to its nickname: "Jiggle TV."

As Ms. Fawcett said, "When the show was number three, I figured it was our acting. When it got to be number one, I decided it could only be because none of us wears a bra."

In 1973, she married Lee Majors, soon to star in "The Six Million Dollar Man," and acquired the name she would use in the "Charlie's Angels" title sequence, Farrah Fawcett-Majors.

She left "Charlie's Angels" after one season to pursue a movie career and immediately was served with a lawsuit from Spelling and producer Leonard Goldberg for breach of contract, which was resolved only when she agreed to make a series of guest appearances on the show over its next several seasons.

Meanwhile, Ms. Fawcett appeared in an unsuccessful star vehicle, "Somebody Killed Her Husband," a 1978 film with Jeff Bridges known in the industry as Somebody Killed Her Career. She also was Burt Reynolds's love interest in the comedy "The Cannonball Run" (1981).

But it was in made-for-television movies that she began reinventing herself, often to critical acclaim.

Washington Post television critic Tom Shales wrote of Ms. Fawcett's "strenuous and superb performance" playing a battered wife out for revenge in "The Burning Bed" (1984). She found a niche as vulnerable women in troubled or abusive relationships, such as "Extremities" (1986) and "Small Sacrifices" (1989).

She also portrayed photographer Margaret Bourke-White, Nazi hunter Beate Klarsfeld and heiress Barbara Hutton in made-for-television productions.

Mary Farrah Leni Fawcett was born Feb. 2, 1947, in Corpus Christi, where her father started a pipeline construction company. She was an art major at the University of Texas at Austin and began modeling for a local clothing store. She was voted one of the 10 most beautiful women on campus, and Hollywood publicist David Mirisch urged her to quit school for a career in show business.

At first reluctant to leave college, she met with almost immediate success as a model and received guest roles on television shows such as "I Dream of Jeannie" and "The Partridge Family" and films including "Myra Breckinridge" (1970) and "Logan's Run" (1976). She also appeared with her then-husband, Majors, on "The Six Million Dollar Man" and on other shows produced by Goldberg and Spelling before "Charlie's Angels" made her a national name.

Her marriage to Majors also foundered, and she began a long relationship with actor Ryan O'Neal, with whom she had a son, Redmond. Survivors include her son, whose drug use was well documented by tabloids in recent years.

Starting in the 1990s, she attempted to recapture her status as a sex symbol. She underwent plastic surgery and appeared nude in Playboy photo shoots as well as a 1997 Playboy video called "All of Me."

That same year, she turned in a memorable supporting performance as the wife of Robert Duvall's philandering minister in "The Apostle." Critic Kenneth Turan of the Los Angeles Times praised her by noting how she disappeared convincingly into the role, adding she was "surprising" and "gaunt, almost unrecognizable."

Mostly she was followed by the tabloids for her troubled personal life, including several accounts of domestic abuse by boyfriends. She also appeared incoherent as a guest on "The Late Show With David Letterman" in 1997.

In 2005, she was once again the star of her own show, "Chasing Farrah," a reality-style program on the channel TVLand that followed her life with cameras. It was quickly overshadowed by her diagnosis with cancer the following September. At the end of 2007, she announced plans to reunite with the videographer of "Chasing Farrah" to televise her cancer battle in another documentary, "A Wing and a Prayer."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/25/AR2009062501971.html

Subject: Re: Actress Farrah Fawcett Dies at 62

Written By: Anonymous informant on 06/25/09 at 1:24 pm

Excuse me, but we already have a thread regarding this info in the Celebrity Heaven section:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=37500.0

Written By: Jessica on 06/25/09 at 2:47 pm

Excuse me, but we already have a thread regarding this info in the Celebrity Heaven section:

Excuse me, but we have a report to moderator button if something like this arises.  I suggest you use it next time instead of getting all snarky about a misplaced post.

Written By: Michael C. on 06/25/09 at 5:18 pm

I feel it belongs here,as well...
She was truly a 1970's ICON.
She {and Her hair  :)....and Her famous Poster  :)} are part of 70's Pop Culture.

Written By: Michael C. on 06/25/09 at 6:05 pm

Growing up,My Mom let Me stay up & Watch The Tonight Show...........This past week,Ed McMahon ...passed away.
Growing up I bought the 45s of I Want You Back,ABC,The Love You Save..Watched Him whenever Her was on TV...today Michael Jackson's gone.
Growing up I watched Charlie's Angels every week...Today Farrah Fawcett is gone.
What an emotional day..................

Written By: Frank on 06/25/09 at 6:14 pm

Growing up,My Mom let Me stay up & Watch The Tonight Show...........This past week,Ed McMahon ...passed away.
Growing up I bought the 45s of I Want You Back,ABC,The Love You Save..Watched Him whenever Her was on TV...today Michael Jackson's gone.
Growing up I watched Charlie's Angels every week...Today Farrah Fawcett is gone.
What an emotional day..................

Very well put, my sentiments exactly.
karma'd you

Written By: Michael C. on 06/25/09 at 6:55 pm

And I You,My good Sir... :)

Very well put, my sentiments exactly.
karma'd you

Written By: snozberries on 06/25/09 at 7:01 pm

I immersed myself in season one of Charlie's Angels two weeks ago and was struck with how well she played the role. It's no surprise that all the attention and focus went to Farrah she radiated and people were drawn to her.  I was a kid when I first became obsessed with angels but seeing it as an adult... I see now the subtleties in her performance.

I am sad but glad that I have some really good episodes to remember her by

from the original pilot:
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p166/charliesangels76/Charlies%20Angels/Screen%20shots/pilot19.jpg

Written By: Womble on 06/25/09 at 8:27 pm

I remember Ms. Fawcett from the shaving-cream commercials of the 60's and thinking how pretty she was.  I watched her on 'I Dream of Jeanie', movies and of course 'Charlie's Angels'. I guess I actually watched her career grow from there. She was a fine actress and will be sorely missed.

Written By: Michael C. on 06/25/09 at 8:35 pm

She had a recurring role on David Janssen's Private Eye series,Harry-O.......One of My favorite 70's, P.I./Cop Series.

I remember Ms. Fawcett from the shaving-cream commercials of the 60's and thinking how pretty she was.  I watched her on 'I Dream of Jeanie', movies and of course 'Charlie's Angels'. I guess I actually watched her career grow from there. She was a fine actress and will be sorely missed.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/26/09 at 9:29 am

Rest in peace, Farrah. You will be sadly missed.

:\'(

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/26/09 at 11:53 am

Anonymous informant  ::), we're glad you're on the case of the grave injustice to mankind (and penguins alike).  Get over your misplaced thread ocd, really now  >:(

Oh, and RIP, Farrah!

Written By: Womble on 06/26/09 at 10:08 pm

Farrah gave a phenominal performance in the film 'EXtremities' (I never saw her in the play). Just amazing. If I had ruled the world the year this film debuted she'd have won an Oscar.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/27/09 at 1:40 am

Farrah gave a phenominal performance in the film 'EXtremities' (I never saw her in the play). Just amazing. If I had ruled the world the year this film debuted she'd have won an Oscar.
Farrah was excellent in that movie, but it's a heavy movie.

Written By: snozberries on 06/27/09 at 2:43 am

here here! that movie was fantastic!

funny. I worked in a movie theater when it came out and people seemed to think it was a date movie... afterwards all the women came out smiling and all the men came out pissed off and slightly hunched over  ;D

I still have the movie poster! I wish they would put Sunburn on DVD

Written By: Michael C. on 06/27/09 at 10:19 am

Hopefully.
{not to be morbid...but maybe now they will....}[quote author=snozberries link=topic=37503.msg2095203#msg2095203 date=12460885

I wish they would put Sunburn on DVD

Written By: snozberries on 06/27/09 at 10:24 am

Hopefully.
{not to be morbid...but maybe now they will....}

I know what you mean... I'll look at it as the one point of light during a very dark time if they do... my VHS copy is old and I fear it won't last much longer...  and not to be morbib myself.... I don't want to pay post Farrah prices for a copy of an already hard to find item....ya know.

Written By: Michael C. on 06/27/09 at 5:39 pm

I hear ya.................

I know what you mean... I'll look at it as the one point of light during a very dark time if they do... my VHS copy is old and I fear it won't last much longer...  and not to be morbib myself.... I don't want to pay post Farrah prices for a copy of an already hard to find item....ya know.

Written By: snozberries on 06/27/09 at 11:33 pm

I hear ya.................

I wonder if Lifetime will play small sacrifices and Burning bed... I would love to see those... actually I think I have them on VHS somewhere... time to go digging in the "vault"  ;D

Written By: Michael C. on 06/28/09 at 10:20 am

They should air Margaret Bourke White and Poor Little Rich Girl:The Barbara Hutton Story too.

I wonder if Lifetime will play small sacrifices and Burning bed... I would love to see those...

Written By: snozberries on 06/29/09 at 12:07 am

They should air Margaret Bourke White and Poor Little Rich Girl:The Barbara Hutton Story too.

yeah!

Check for new replies or respond here...