inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Michael Jackson/Jackson 5 - 1969-1981 (before "Thriller)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/27/09 at 4:39 pm

People remembering MJ's career usually start with his defining moment, Thriller, and look at his career during and after this landmark album.  It's easy to crown him "The King Of Pop" based on just this portion of his musical career.  But people too often forget what a stellar career he and his brothers had in the 70's.  The pre-pubescent Michael Jackson was unmatched in his gift - he and his group owned the early 70's.  After a slight lull, he honed his craft mid-decade, continued and improved on the fabulous dancing, and became amazing after growing up, giving us a ton of amazing music in the mid-late 70's, culminating with his amazing album "Off The Wall".

Being close to MJ in age, I grew up at the same time, and always felt that Michael Jackson has been part of me.  I'll miss him like crazy.  :(

Since the Jackson 5 was my first concert (spring '74, at the time of Dancing Machine) I was a huge fan, before and since that show (despite the lousy seats we had).  I was all over their big hits.  I also delved into the lesser known stuff, minor/forgotten hits, album cuts and "B" sides - which big fans usually do.

BTW I watched the Jackson 5 cartoon.  Even though I was "too old" (said I) for cartoons, I made an exception for them (and the Osmonds).

Was anybody a fan of Michael Jackson prior to Thriller?  What about the Jackson 5?  The Jacksons?  If yes, what was it that you liked about MJ and his talented brothers?

Subject: Re: Michael Jackson/Jackson 5 - 1969-1981 (before "Thriller)

Written By: Frank on 06/27/09 at 5:03 pm

Oddly enough, I actually like the Jackson 5 music better than his "Thriller" or "Bad" albums

I liked "ABC", "I'll be there", "Mama's Pearl", "I want you back" and "The Love you save". I am a little younger than Michael (maybe 5yrs?) , but remember seeing them on TV specials and their performances were great. Lots of energy. Those were nice songs from a nice and innocent era.

I remember the Osmonds & Jacksons Cartoons too.

Written By: Capt Quirk on 06/27/09 at 5:17 pm

I'm with you guys, Little Mikey and his brothers were the good old days. Thriller was the one song in his later career that was undeniably captivating, but the only one I listened to. Ben, Rockin Robin, ABC 123, those were happy days.

Written By: whistledog on 06/27/09 at 5:20 pm

I liked the 'Off the Wall' album.  I often find myself singing Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough

His post 'Thriller' efforts will always live on, and over the years have become hits for other artists.  Some singers will say there's no greater tribute than other artists singing their songs, and in MJ's case, there have been many.  Here's a few ...

1975 | Never Can Say Goodbye - Gloria Gaynor
1985 | Ben - Marti Webb
1987 | Never Can Say Goodbye - The Communards
1989 | Blame it on the Bassline - Norman Cook and MC Wildski
1989 | Blame it on the Boogie - Big Fun
1991 | I Want You Back - West End Girls
1992 | I'll Be There - Mariah Carey
1998 | Feel It - Tamperer featuring Maya
1998 | Blame it on the Boogie - Clock
1998 | I Want You Back - Cleopatra
2000 | Shake Ya Body - N-Trance

Your music will never be forgotten Michael 8)

Written By: Michael C. on 06/27/09 at 5:33 pm

Growing up I bought The Jackson 5's albums.
From the 1st one,Presented by Diana Ross,I was hooked.I liked a lot of R&B music,The Jackson 5 bridged what My siblings liked with what I liked.
In 1972,I bought both of Michael's solo albums. Got To Be There came out in the beginning of the year & Ben came out in the Summer. The Solo LPs contained a lot of cover tunes {much like the 5s 1st LP}
I watched them on the Ed Sullivan Show,American Bandstand & Soul Train.
In 1976 they had a limited run Variety Show & guested on other Variety Shows. Very Surreal seeing The Jacksons dancing {in unison & formation...of ...} with Cher,who wore.... :o...an Afro wig.
I found the clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3AK5Z-puRM&feature=PlayList&p=7DDBAC4261602308&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=37   
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/6177/jacksonsad.th.jpg

My Favorite Jackson 5 Songs :
The Love You Save
Maybe Tomorrow
Michael's early Solo Songs:
Got To Be There
I Wanna Be Where You Are

People remembering MJ's career usually start with his defining moment, Thriller, and look at his career during and after this landmark album.  It's easy to crown him "The King Of Pop" based on just this portion of his musical career.  But people too often forget what a stellar career he and his brothers had in the 70's.  The pre-pubescent Michael Jackson was unmatched in his gift - he and his group owned the early 70's.  After a slight lull, he honed his craft mid-decade, continued and improved on the fabulous dancing, and became amazing after growing up, giving us a ton of amazing music in the mid-late 70's, culminating with his amazing album "Off The Wall".

Being close to MJ in age, I grew up at the same time, and always felt that Michael Jackson has been part of me.  I'll miss him like crazy.   :(

Since the Jackson 5 was my first concert (spring '74, at the time of Dancing Machine) I was a huge fan, before and since that show (despite the lousy seats we had).  I was all over their big hits.  I also delved into the lesser known stuff, minor/forgotten hits, album cuts and "B" sides - which big fans usually do.

BTW I watched the Jackson 5 cartoon.  Even though I was "too old" (said I) for cartoons, I made an exception for them (and the Osmonds).

Was anybody a fan of Michael Jackson prior to Thriller?  What about the Jackson 5?  The Jacksons?  If yes, what was it that you liked about MJ and his talented brothers?

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/27/09 at 7:31 pm

"Off the Wall" has always been my #1 favorite MJ album.  :)

Written By: gibbo on 06/27/09 at 9:56 pm

I will add my voice to the preference for "Off The Wall". The song "Thriller" was only remarkable because of the groundbreaking video clip ...and the sequenced dance moves. The song itself was not all that great. Billie Jean was the only singlr I really loved in his catalogue (post 1979).

Off The Wall had better tunes and he also looked great. 'Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough' is in my top 5 disco hits of all time and Rock With You...was a beautiful song. I also agree that the J-5 hits were more enjoyable than MJ's post Thriller songs..

Written By: snozberries on 06/28/09 at 12:25 am

"Off the Wall" has always been my #1 favorite MJ album.   :)

mine too...

for me it goes

Ben (because I love the song so much)
the Off the wall album
the jackson five stuff
then thriller....

I stopped listening after BAd.

Written By: Michael C. on 06/28/09 at 10:15 am

Don't forget She's Out of My Life.....very soulful performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF0o-W5uu8o

Off The Wall had better tunes and he also looked great. 'Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough' is in my top 5 disco hits of all time and Rock With You...was a beautiful song.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/28/09 at 4:29 pm

I liked Michael from the first time I saw him on the Ed Sullivan show.  You could tell then that he had something real special, something his brothers, or pretty much no one else, had.

I was talking to a friend about the mixed feelings because of what he morphed into, but I said he was like the baby brother you had that did some bad things, but he was your baby brother and you couldn't help but love him.  He agreed.

Written By: Paul on 06/28/09 at 4:53 pm

I think 'Off The Wall' was the first (if not the only) album you could have bought in instalments! (Although 'Thriller' may have come close!)

Apart from the five singles, the remaining 50% of the LP was released as flip sides to later singles!

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/29/09 at 1:12 am

There will always be the "Thriller" vs "Off The Wall" groups, both claiming one is better than the other...and I can understand why.

If you look at it the albums themselves, they actually have a lot in common, both produced by Quincy Jones, a master in production values. And MJ was quite capable, nearly at his peak both vocally and imaginatively on both sessions.

To me, the difference is in the production values and his mindset as a professional performer. There is something just a bit more raw on Off the Wall, and Thriller is SOOO much more polished and slick than Off The Wall. There's nothing wrong with that, as a matter of fact there is no better example of great 80's music production values, standards and what was important to have in an 80's era album than looking at Thriller.

BUT...

Thriller was slick, VERY slick, very polished, very tech savvy. Both Quincy and Michael had been in the biz for some time and were displaying both their knowledge of production, but also the power of video and other manipulations of the press and market that just didn't exist previously. Thriller is a master example of using all the current and electronic and powerful studio tools to produce/make an album along with a very healthy dose of just plain talent from MJ, and the result is pretty much understandable...

But Off The Wall, its a bit different. The tail end of the 70's, the ushering in of a new decade. Off The Wall had a lot of past "luggage" so to speak of the past, and showcased the last bit of what "was" so very well. Even though MJ had left Motown, theres a lot of "this is how far this can go" from Motown on that album. Its a masterpiece on its own of the best result of Marvin Gaye, Holland-Dozier-Holland, etc and R&B of the past. As if there was an understanding that this is as far as this is going to go, and he was acknowledging that, and made a showcase of it. He knew there was a change in the musical scene coming...Theres a lot of past dance and 70's "ME" decade in there and its a lot more "raw" than Thriller, and its pretty much obvious. Theres a spark of a very young, still expanding young man very much present in that album. In Thriller its a reflection of a much more accomplished man making a very purposeful product (don't get the wrong idea, it was a great product), but didn't have the fun and the bit more abandon and easy nature of Off The Wall.

Off The Wall pretty much was the pinnacle of the "boy" MJ and who he was in the Jackson 5 we all grew up with, reaching his ultimate in that mode. The album just seems a bit more human and personal to me, and I think that resonates to a lot of fans of that album better than Thriller which was a lot bigger giant a media project that seems to have crossed boundaries of a bigger scope and not be, well, genuinely as personal a album to listen to (thought I'm sure it was for MJ at the time)...

Thriller was just so much a bit more calculated, a bit more innocence lost in its conception, after Thriller everything, video, music, even the format (CD's) changed and that made a helluva difference...

Written By: gibbo on 06/29/09 at 3:43 am

mine too...

for me it goes

the Off the wall album
the jackson five stuff
then thriller....

We agree exactly ...for the second time this year!  :o ;)

Written By: snozberries on 06/29/09 at 6:58 am

We agree exactly ...for the second time this year!  :o ;)

somebody please help me... I appear to be doomed  ;)

seriously tho... I knew you had to have at least some good taste  :)

Written By: ninny on 06/29/09 at 11:45 am

mine too...

for me it goes

the Off the wall album
the jackson five stuff
then thriller....

We agree exactly ...for the second time this year!  :o ;)

somebody please help me... I appear to be doomed  ;)

seriously tho... I knew you had to have at least some good taste  :)

I guess that makes 3 of us....unless I look it up I really don't remember to many songs after the Bad album..I love alot of his old stuff including Rockin' Robin,Ben, Rock With You,I'll Be There,Got To Be There & Dancing Machine

Written By: Capt Quirk on 06/29/09 at 7:19 pm

Honestly, aside from Thriller (Which had Vincent Price opening!), I couldn't care less for his newer stuff. After the Jackson 5 split, he might as well have been Toto Jackson... ;)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/29/09 at 10:24 pm

... I always felt that Michael Jackson has been part of me.  I'll miss him like crazy.   :(  ...

As I've been remembering and mourning, I've found a steady diet of MJ/J5 music to be real therapeutic.

...  I also delved into the lesser known stuff, minor/forgotten hits, album cuts and "B" sides - which big fans usually do. ...

I quick uploaded a new web page filled with MJ/J5 video links to my website.  It has some rarities, minor/forgotten hits, album cuts and "B" sides like I was talking about.  Here's the link, to anyone interested:

http://users.dls.net/~faulkners/mj_videos.htm

Written By: Paul on 06/30/09 at 6:47 am

I quick uploaded a new web page filled with MJ/J5 video links to my website.  It has some rarities, minor/forgotten hits, album cuts and "B" sides like I was talking about.  Here's the link, to anyone interested:

http://users.dls.net/~faulkners/mj_videos.htm

Not really surprised to not see this one included, as it never charted in the US for whatever reason (was it even released?)

However, it's worthy of inclusion as it eventually became his first British #1 back in 1981...

Speaking of 1981, Sugar Minott's soft-reggae version of 'We've Got A Good Thing Going' was a major British hit that year...

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/18/09 at 4:29 pm

Nobody mentioned either of these albums:

The Jacksons 1980 album, Triumph, was acclaimed by the critics and I love it as well.  It didn't have the monster hits, so people forget about it.  But it had some dynamite songs.  IMO "Heartbreak Hotel" was a direct predecessor to the song "Thriller".  Also check out gems like "Give It Up", "Walk Right Now" and "Time Waits For No One".

The Jackson 5's 1973 album, Skywriter.  (Some may have called it the "Michael's voice is changing OH NO" album.)  It didn't wow the critics, nor did it have huge hits - "Corner Of The Sky" is the best known.  Then again, its "The Boogie Man" has rightly become a Halloween classic.  To me the album is better than you'd think.  It's cohesive and shows a bit more maturity than J-5 albums that came before it.  Its fine album cuts include "Touch", and "You Made Me What I Am".  :)

For honorable mention, I'll also mention the Jacksons 1978 album, Destiny.  It's also definitely worth a listen.

Written By: whistledog on 07/18/09 at 9:29 pm

Nobody mentioned either of these albums:

The Jacksons 1980 album, Triumph, was acclaimed by the critics and I love it as well.  It didn't have the monster hits, so people forget about it.  But it had some dynamite songs.  IMO "Heartbreak Hotel" was a direct predecessor to the song "Thriller".  Also check out gems like "Give It Up", "Walk Right Now" and "Time Waits For No One".

It did well overseas:  'Walk Right Now', 'Feel It' and 'Lovely One' were all Top 40 hits in the UK

Check for new replies or respond here...