inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Kiki Dee

Written By: whistledog on 07/08/09 at 8:27 pm

I was gonna do this as a poll, but popular belief was that she was a one hit wonder.  Actual fact was that she was not. 

Got a favourite Kiki Dee song?  I kinda like 'Star' the best; It's on my Zune MP3 and I listen to it quite a bit!

1971 - Love Makes the World Go Round
1973 - Amoureuse
1974 - I've Got the Music in Me
1975 - (You Don't Know) How Glad I Am
1975 - Once A Fool
1975 - Step By Step
1976 - Don't Go Breaking My Heart <w/ Elton John>
1976 - Loving and Free
1977 - First Thing in the Morning
1977 - Bite Your Lip <w/ Elton John>
1981 - Star
1981 - Perfect Timing
1993 - True Love <w/ Elton John>

Subject: Re: Kiki Dee

Written By: gibbo on 07/09/09 at 5:13 am

I was just watching (and listening) to her on youtube last week. I still prefer I've Got the Music in Me and Don't Go Breaking My Heart! Just ...great songs and sung perfectly. I prefer to see the artists performing live , where possible(and not so much in some arty farty music film clip)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/09 at 12:43 pm

Still performing today!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/09/09 at 12:48 pm

for me it's I've Got The Music in Me

Written By: Frank on 07/09/09 at 3:02 pm

for me it's I've Got The Music in Me

Same here

Written By: Paul on 07/09/09 at 3:14 pm

Still performing today!

And been doing it for ages!

Her first single was way back in 1963, with the rather twee 'Early Night', but this effort was a nice piece of bubblegum pop/soul which was relegated to 'B' side status (also horrendously collectable, as the Northern Soul crowd love it too!)

She was the first (if not the only) white British act to be signed to Motown, which is no mean feat!

It was only after Queen Elton intervened (after many near-misses) that she finally got the recognition she deserved...

And after all that waffling, 'Amoreuse' and 'Loving And Free' do it for me!

Written By: whistledog on 07/09/09 at 5:51 pm

She was the first (if not the only) white British act to be signed to Motown, which is no mean feat!

She was yes.  The first ever white artist signed to Motown was Canada's very own R. Dean Taylor.  In the 80s, another white artist, American Star Search winner Sam Harris was signed to Motown.  Can't say as I know of any others, though there probably were

Written By: Paul on 07/09/09 at 6:07 pm

She was yes.  The first ever white artist signed to Motown was Canada's very own R. Dean Taylor.  In the 80s, another white artist, American Star Search winner Sam Harris was signed to Motown.  Can't say as I know of any others, though there probably were

There were plenty of others, especially during the company's early years...notably The Mynah Birds, who were based in Ontario...

They had Neil Young and Rick James (yes, those two!) in their ranks, but after recording several tracks, James was arrested for deserting the US Navy and Motown subsequently dropped them...

Another group was Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers (no prizes for guessing where they were from!) who had one half of Cheech & Chong in their line-up, while Bobby Taylor (and NOT Diana Ross, as is so often mentioned) discovered The Jackson Five...

Written By: whistledog on 07/09/09 at 7:41 pm

There were plenty of others, especially during the company's early years...notably The Mynah Birds, who were based in Ontario...

They had Neil Young and Rick James (yes, those two!) in their ranks, but after recording several tracks, James was arrested for deserting the US Navy and Motown subsequently dropped them...

Another group was Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers (no prizes for guessing where they were from!) who had one half of Cheech & Chong in their line-up, while Bobby Taylor (and NOT Diana Ross, as is so often mentioned) discovered The Jackson Five...

Motown eventually got Rick James back.  In his early days, he actually qualified as a Canadian artist

I'd forgotten about Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers.  I didn't know they were on Motown

Written By: mooster on 07/15/09 at 4:18 am

Amoureuse - lovely song...I have it on a compilation somewhere...

I've Got the Music in Me, Don't Go Breaking My Heart - classics !

Written By: gibbo on 07/15/09 at 4:22 am

Amoureuse - lovely song...I have it on a compilation somewhere...

I've Got the Music in Me, Don't Go Breaking My Heart - classics !

I forgot about that one. Great song....here it is live    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qttOSLo7o8A&feature=related

Written By: mooster on 07/15/09 at 4:36 am

I forgot about that one. Great song....here it is live    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qttOSLo7o8A&feature=related

Good stuff  8)

Check for new replies or respond here...