inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: M*A*S*H poll - Favorite Character

Written By: Frank on 08/08/09 at 5:11 pm

The show ran mostly in the 70s, and ended in 1983. Many of us (who were around) remember watching the last episode. I got together with 3 or 4 people and watched it.

http://www.blogwaybaby.com/uploaded_images/MASH%20TV%20Guide-713484.jpg

I began to watch it in the early 1970s and was quite impressed by the clever writing. The show made me laugh often.

Who was your favorite character? So many to chose from.

Subject: Re: M*A*S*H poll - Favorite Character

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/08/09 at 6:26 pm

How about All of the Above (with the exception of Frank Burns-old Ferret Face).

BTW, did you know that the term "Ferret Face" actually came Larry Linville. His brother called him that as a kid.  :D ;D ;D ;D 

Cat

Written By: Frank on 08/08/09 at 6:31 pm

How about All of the Above (with the exception of Frank Burns-old Ferret Face).

BTW, did you know that the term "Ferret Face" actually came Larry Linville. His brother called him that as a kid.  :D ;D ;D ;D 

Cat

Didn't know that.
Gotta admit tho, Larry Linville was fabulous at playing Frank. I was sad when he left the show. I am not a big "Charles" fan.

Written By: whistledog on 08/08/09 at 8:15 pm

Hunnicut, Hawkeye and Winchester

I am slowly working on getting all the seasons of M*A*S*H.  They've recently re-released them on DVD in a slimmer case for better storage

Written By: mooster on 08/09/09 at 1:37 am

Charles Emerson Winchester III - he made the show tolerable for me after sitting through repeat after repeat with the husband  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/09/09 at 2:43 am

From the few episodes I saw, I can only remember liking Cpl. Klinger and Walter "Radar" O'Reilly

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/09/09 at 3:50 pm

Hunnicut, Hawkeye and Winchester

I am slowly working on getting all the seasons of M*A*S*H.  They've recently re-released them on DVD in a slimmer case for better storage

We have the whole series (all 11 seasons) on DVD.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 08/09/09 at 5:59 pm

We have the whole series (all 11 seasons) on DVD.

Cat

I was going to get them all, almost did as Wal-Mart had them all for $19.99, but I held back for the slimmer case ones

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/09/09 at 6:02 pm

I think Henry Blake is my favorite.  I always had the biggest crush on him.  Same with Trapper.  And I loved Margaret and Frank's dynamic.  Even though Frank was a "ferret face" he was just so funny.  Ok...I love everyone.  What can I say?

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/10/09 at 10:38 am

It is hard for me to pick since they were all so good at the parts they played.  I think MASH was THE best show ever on TV.  What was really impressive was how they didn't try to replace characters as some left, but created new ones, as with Henry and Potter, or Frank and Charles.  Also impressive was how characters grew, like Hotlips.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/10/09 at 2:38 pm

I picked Hawkeye as he was the best looking of the bunch and had a great sense of humor!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/10/09 at 6:01 pm

I couldn't vote - I love all the characters.  :)

There were also some memorable secondary characters.  How about characters like Sidney Freedman, Sgt. Rizzo, Igor, Colonel Flag.

Written By: Frank on 08/11/09 at 12:09 am

I couldn't vote - I love all the characters.  :)

There were also some memorable secondary characters.  How about characters like Sidney Freedman, Sgt. Rizzo, Igor, Colonel Flag.

I thought about secondary characters, but the list (in 12 seasons) would be too long, so I  just went with main characters. ( I loved Colonel Flag!)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/11/09 at 9:33 pm

Colonel Flag was hilarious!

Written By: Womble on 08/12/09 at 6:59 am

I like Klinger. It was always fun to see what kind of get-up he'd be wearing each week.

Written By: Frank on 08/12/09 at 12:17 pm

Colonel Flag was hilarious!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colonel Flagg: This won't look good on your record.
Frank Burns: But Colonel, it's just Reader's Digest.
Colonel Flagg: Not if you eliminate the third, fifth, and sixth letters, then it's Red's Digest, comrade

:)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/12/09 at 4:44 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colonel Flagg: This won't look good on your record.
Frank Burns: But Colonel, it's just Reader's Digest.
Colonel Flagg: Not if you eliminate the third, fifth, and sixth letters, then it's Red's Digest, comrade

:)

;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/13/09 at 2:03 pm

I agree, Flagg was funny, but a bit too slapstick for my taste, which is why I like the later years better than the early ones.  At first it was a sitcom, albeit around a strange topic for comedy, but it got more serious (and lost the laugh track) as it matured.  I like the mature episodes best, but that's just MHO.

Written By: Frank on 08/13/09 at 3:00 pm

I agree, Flagg was funny, but a bit too slapstick for my taste, which is why I like the later years better than the early ones.  At first it was a sitcom, albeit around a strange topic for comedy, but it got more serious (and lost the laugh track) as it matured.  I like the mature episodes best, but that's just MHO.

After the first few years the show did change, the characters were more developed, more serious issues were addressed. I liked the whole show, watched it till the end and during my University days, a few of us got together to watch the final episode back in Feb 83. One of the best shows ever.

Written By: Mushroom on 08/14/09 at 8:48 pm

I couldn't vote - I love all the characters.   :)

The funny thing is, the 3 I was thinking of that were not listed are the 3 you just mentioned.  I actually only voted for one, Corporal Klinger.

Col. Flagg was always a riot.  Only appearing in 6 episodes, he left a large impression.  Patriotic, Paranoid, strict authoritarian, with a cold dead-pan humor that left me in stitches.  I love when they asked him what department he was with, and he replied "I'm with the CIA, but I tell people I'm with the CIC, so they think I'm with the CID."

G. W. Bailey as Sgt. Luther Rizzo.  A stereotypical Louisiana Redneck Sergeant, his laid back approach and easy speaking manner was always a relief from slapstick of the rest of the cast. 

Dr. Freedman did a great job at keeping the stressed doctors and staff mentally stable.  His calm voice and manners would help them deal with the stresses of their jobs, and helped them to perform.  And I always loved his advice, to "Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice: Pull down your pants and slide on the ice."

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/15/09 at 2:36 pm

I agree with all the comments.  AFAIC MASH was the absolute best show ever on TV.  I was also impressed by the reunion show (s?) which showed that the cast really enjoyed their work and each other.  "Never fall for that phony sneeze gag"... Sid Freedman

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/15/09 at 4:43 pm

There wasn't a lot of consistency on the show.

-Hawkeye was originally from Crabapple Cove, Vermont and then Crabapple Cove moved to Maine.

-Hawkeye originally had a mother & sister and then it was just his father.

-Henry Blake was originally married to a woman name Mildred and then he was married to a woman name Lorraine. (Mildred was the name of Col. Potter's wife, too.) 

-Sidney Freedman was originally Milton Freedman. 

Cat

Written By: Frank on 08/15/09 at 4:48 pm

There wasn't a lot of consistency on the show.

-Hawkeye was originally from Crabapple Cove, Vermont and then Crabapple Cove moved to Maine.

-Hawkeye originally had a mother & sister and then it was just his father.

-Henry Blake was originally married to a woman name Mildred and then he was married to a woman name Lorraine. (Mildred was the name of Col. Potter's wife, too.) 

-Sidney Freedman was originally Milton Freedman. 

Cat

Easy to explain.
Crabapple Cove Vermont was lost to Maine in that great 6 day war between Maine & Vermont in late 1950
Hawkeye's mother and sister died, and father came back after being lost in the Japanese jungle of WWII
Henry Blake was divorced and remarried Mildred (over the phone from Korea)
Milton is Sidney's identical twin brother. See...they fooled everyone!
Hope this helps  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/15/09 at 5:18 pm

Easy to explain.
Crabapple Cove Vermont was lost to Maine in that great 6 day war between Maine & Vermont in late 1950
Hawkeye's mother and sister died, and father came back after being lost in the Japanese jungle of WWII
Henry Blake was divorced and remarried Mildred (over the phone from Korea)
Milton is Sidney's identical twin brother. See...they fooled everyone!
Hope this helps  :D

;D ;D ;D ;D

Karma for making me laugh.

Cat

Written By: Frank on 08/18/09 at 1:31 am

;D ;D ;D ;D

Karma for making me laugh.

Cat

Maybe you are laughing, but Crabapple Cove citizens are still recovering from that 6 day war. Lots of trauma, suffering and bad memories. Almost 60 years later, they have almost blotted it as if that 6 day war never took place. But there's one guy, Lester Thomas..he sits in the park all day, feeding the pigeons...he hasn't gotten over it yet.

:D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/18/09 at 10:52 am

Maybe you are laughing, but Crabapple Cove citizens are still recovering from that 6 day war. Lots of trauma, suffering and bad memories. Almost 60 years later, they have almost blotted it as if that 6 day war never took place. But there's one guy, Lester Thomas..he sits in the park all day, feeding the pigeons...he hasn't gotten over it yet.

:D

Going off topic:

Killington wanted to secede from Vermont and move to New Hampshire-NO JOKE.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/vermont/articles/2004/01/11/seeking_secession/

Cat

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/18/09 at 7:48 pm

It's really hard to choose...I think they're all great!  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...