inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did the title "Ms." become popular? Where did you first hear it?

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/19/09 at 7:51 am

Ms. Magazine published its first issue in 1972, and groups of women didn't want to be didn't want to be discriminated by marital status, so instead of "Miss" and "Mrs.", "Ms." emerged as a new generic title for women in the '70s. However, it really didn't become universal until the '90s.

Subject: Re: When did the title "Ms." become popular? Where did you first hear it?

Written By: Frank on 08/19/09 at 11:12 am

I definitely heard it in the 70s, early 70s for sure. Can't remember when or where tho.

Subject: Re: When did the title "Ms." become popular? Where did you first hear it?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/19/09 at 12:37 pm

The first time I heard of Ms must had been when The Tymes had a hit with Ms Grace in 1974.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/19/09 at 1:41 pm

It was in the early 70s-but I'm not too sure exactly when. I remember thinking that I would NEVER use it. However, when my first marriage ended, I DID use it (especially when I was student teaching)-why? Because at that point in my life I was no longer a "Miss" nor was I no longer a "Mrs."

Cat

Written By: Frank on 08/19/09 at 4:34 pm

I might have heard it in an early episode of "All in the family" , 1st, 2nd or 3rd year.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/19/09 at 9:03 pm

Here's some background on the honorific: 

I remember it being sort of chic in my seventies childhood, but we still called our unmarried female teachers "Miss." 

It was standard usage in progressive circles by the late eighties and now universal. 

"Miss" sounds totally retrograde and sexist nowadays.  "Mrs." is what many married women still prefer, but I say "Ms." until I know for sure. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/20/09 at 2:00 am

From the 70s my belief is that...

Miss = a lady still single (unmarried)
Mrs = a lady that is married
Ms = a lady that is divorced

Written By: mooster on 08/20/09 at 3:41 am

From the 70s my belief is that...

Miss = a lady still single (unmarried)
Mrs = a lady that is married
Ms = a lady that is divorced

What about a lady who is married...but goes by her original surname/maiden name? Say me, for example?  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/20/09 at 4:24 am

What about a lady who is married...but goes by her original surname/maiden name? Say me, for example?  :D
That would be Ms.

For the lady is (if married to Mr Jones) is Mrs Jones, but if she kept her maiden name (etc) that would be Ms, as in Ms Brown if Brown was her original surname/maiden name.

Written By: mooster on 08/20/09 at 5:44 am

That would be Ms.

For the lady is (if married to Mr Jones) is Mrs Jones, but if she kept her maiden name (etc) that would be Ms, as in Ms Brown if Brown was her original surname/maiden name.

Good. That's what I thought  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/20/09 at 11:25 am

I think it is up to the woman as to what she wants to be called. I was hoping to someday be called Dr. but alas, that will never happen.  :-\\

My question is, if the term for a married woman is NOT spelled with an "R", why is there one in the abbreviation for it? "Mrs."

Cat

Written By: Claybricks on 08/20/09 at 12:52 pm

David Oliver - Ms. {1977}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4mMBXN

USAGE NOTE  Many of us think of Ms. or Ms as a fairly recent invention of the women's movement, but in fact the term was first suggested as a convenience to writers of business letters by such publications as the Bulletin of the American Business Writing Association (1951) and The Simplified Letter, issued by the National Office Management Association (1952). Ms. is now widely used in both professional and social contexts. As a courtesy title Ms. serves exactly the same function that Mr. does for men, and like Mr. it may be used with a last name alone or with a full name. Furthermore, Ms. is correct regardless of a woman's marital status, thus relegating that information to the realm of private life, where many feel it belongs anyway. Some women prefer Miss or Mrs., however, and courtesy requires that their wishes be respected.

http://www.answers.com/topic/ms-2

Dan

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/20/09 at 7:56 pm

I think it is up to the woman as to what she wants to be called. I was hoping to someday be called Dr. but alas, that will never happen.  :-\\

My question is, if the term for a married woman is NOT spelled with an "R", why is there one in the abbreviation for it? "Mrs."

Cat

"Mrs." is an abbreviation of "mistress," the feminine form of "mister," which now has its own negative connotations (or positive, depending on your POV) of paramour, or as my grandmother's favorite dirty joke went:
"Mistress: Something between a mister and a mattress."

:-\\

Written By: Fairee07 on 08/20/09 at 11:24 pm

What I don't understand is how some men still ridicule women that go by "Ms." because I think it sounds more professional. To me, labelling somebody over 30 as "Miss" runs along the same line as calling underwear "panties" to anybody over the age of 11.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/21/09 at 11:34 am

"Mrs." is an abbreviation of "mistress," the feminine form of "mister," which now has its own negative connotations (or positive, depending on your POV) of paramour, or as my grandmother's favorite dirty joke went:
"Mistress: Something between a mister and a mattress."

:-\\

Thanks for the explanation. That does make sense.

Cat

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 08/23/09 at 8:38 am

I had two Ms teachers in the mid 70s and I personally started using it for myself from late teens in the late 80s (including when I was married).

Miss to me sounds like its for little girls - which is why I laugh when its still used for Miss Universe etc !

Written By: AxeGrrl on 08/23/09 at 9:46 am

'Ms.' is the only thing that makes sense.........because it's the equivalent of 'Mr.'

If men have only one title, why should women have more?  and based on their marital status?

verrrrry old-school.

Written By: Tam on 08/23/09 at 10:51 am

When I am addressing a woman of my age or older, I always call them "Ms. {insert name here}", especially if I don't know them that well.
I picked it up in Texas - and it was explained to me that it is a sign of respect.

Check for new replies or respond here...