inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 70s SEARS models?

Written By: 70sForever on 10/26/09 at 10:32 am

I've been looking for some 70's fashions on the internet and went to one site. Do any of you remember those 70s SEARS catalogs?
This is a photo from SEARS '79 catalog:
http://www.foreignmego.com/plaid/ugly.jpg

I want to know who's the male model down right (the one without a grin on his face - the others are like laughing)? He looks familiar to me. Do you know any name or info?

PS. Is it normal for someone born in 1988 to be interested in the 70s like I am? I love everything 70s - muscle cars, rock music, pop music, fashion and even disco. It's my favorite decade (tied with the 90s).

Subject: Re: 70s SEARS models?

Written By: Davester on 10/26/09 at 5:41 pm

Okay, this is a long shot but might that dapper looking fellow be Randolph Mantooth of Emergency fame..?

The Plaid Stallions ride again..!

PS. Is it normal for someone born in 1988 to be interested in the 70s like I am? I love everything 70s - muscle cars, rock music, pop music, fashion and even disco. It's my favorite decade (tied with the 90s).

There are a hundred decades denizens who would like a word with you...

Written By: 70sForever on 10/26/09 at 6:18 pm

Well, one can see the similarity, but I don't think its him.
Just for comparison:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_fP1mI58YM78/RqCrhw6GXbI/AAAAAAAABb0/wNn6IYn3lSs/s320/rmantooth.jpg
I already asked the site's owner, but still no answer.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/26/09 at 6:24 pm

My parents would get those huge J.C. Penny catalogs but I rarely got my hands on a Sears.  The models in those look kind of creepy in my opinion.

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/27/09 at 11:30 pm

I loved those old Sears catalogs.  They weigh a ton but they were so much fun to look at.  I know my parents ordered a lot of stuff out of those catalogs in the 80s. 

I still have the one catalog I saved (Fall 1978) stored away somewhere. 

Written By: FromTheOriginalPoster on 10/31/09 at 10:59 am

Bump.

Written By: Davester on 10/31/09 at 12:32 pm

Finding info on a particular fashion model from the pages of a random, 30+ year-old dept. store catalog, unless they went on to become famous, has to be next to impossible.  I'm almost certain Sears would've hired some outside firm to shoot their catalogs.  Perhaps this firm kept records.  This far out, those records were probably deep-sixed...

If you do find anything on that plaid stallion, I'll be impressed.  Good luck with your detective work... :)

Written By: Lindee on 10/31/09 at 7:49 pm

Some models that I remember seeing in 70s catalogs (Sears, JCP and Montgomery Ward) were Shelley Hack, Lori Loughlin (was a teen) and Kim Basinger before they got famous.

Written By: 70sForever on 11/02/09 at 6:02 am

I think the one at the down right is the hottest. The top left one is too sugary, too Hollywood-like, the one next to him looks a lot older than the others. The blond guy in the middle also looks older and he looks like Robert Redford. The one down left looks too ordinary and a bit 60s (He has that look like a 60s guy more than a 70s one). So for me the one down right is the hottest - he's not too ordinary but he's not the typical Hollywood fake type.

Check for new replies or respond here...