inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How were the 60s perceived in the 70s?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 10/28/09 at 3:58 pm

Hey

Question for those who were around then--How was the music, spirit, political atmosphere, and the Hippie movement of the 1960s viewed in the 1970s?

Subject: Re: How were the 60s perceived in the 70s?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/28/09 at 6:24 pm

Hmmm, I'll give this a shot.  (I was a mere teen then...)

On the political atmosphere and spirit, there seemed to be a couple of things going on.  Things that seemed to represent real progress were appreciated.  On things like women's rights and civil rights, I think some people began to come around and there was actual progress continuing into the 70's.  Regarding the hippie movement, it was a lot of "Utopia unrealized".  There was anger about the war and government "oppression" (however that was interpreted), and ecological concerns were on people's minds too.  We romanticized the space race stuff, for a while.  Some forward thinkers grew detached, feeding the drug epidemic.

As far as music, most people in the 70's generally liked 60's music but regarded it as "old stuff".  At least until the nostalgia movement got huge.  During college I had a favorite used record spot with a cheap 50 cents bin.  I had accidentally developed an interest in 60's Motown music, which not many people shared then.  I purchased a sizeable collection of these gems from the 50 cents bin.  Then if I wanted this 60's Motown music in new condition, I usually only found it in the (new) record store's cutout/clearance bin.  No kidding.  This was circa 1978.

I hope this helps.  :)

Written By: alleykid76 on 11/07/09 at 10:50 pm

I think the general feeling of people in the 70's towards the 60's was exhaustion. There had been some rough years back there...the war, assassinations, riots in the cities, endless protests, S.D.S., Weathermen, Black Panthers, Hippies, Yippies, etc. It seemed like at some point in the early seventies, the culture stopped, unplugged and took a deep breath.
  Then things got goofy.
    Fashions got weird: Just look at a catalog, magazine or T.V. show from that time. Wide ties, platform shoes, leisure suits, mini, midi, and maxi skirts, girls started going bra-less (yeaaa) and wore tube tops and halter tops (the greatest garment inventions ever).
    Personal styles began to change. After the long locks and rampant facial hair of the 60's, even conservative establishment types began sporting mustaches, letting their sideburns inch south, and letting their hair get a bit "groovier" with a couple more inches.
  And the fads got goofy: Pet rocks, mood rings, frisbees, kitchen appliances became "avocado", orange shag carpet covered rec-rooms and vans (this was pre-mini vans, when a big, black Dodge van with a couple of small tear-drop windows on the sides was the ultimate macho mobile...throw some carpet down, hang some speakers from the eight track and you had a rolling party). Musically, disco was the natural extension of all this. It basically said: Stop thinking about life, just get up and shake your bootie. Cocaine got real popular. A lot of people began the process of "finding themselves", maybe in a commune in New Mexico, hanging out at CBGBs, or hitchhiking across the country with a guitar and 32 dollars...trusting to the kindness of strangers.
  Then the 80s came and things got serious again. People shaved, finally got a haircut, went through rehab, bought "power" suits and decided to start making money. The age of the Yuppies.
  Actually, in world and U.S. history, the 70s were terrible...inflation, recessions, gas shortages, the cold war, genocide in Cambodia, the Iran hostage crisis, but it was a great time to be young and I loved it. When I look at old pictures from those days, I realize how dorky I looked...but hey EVERYONE looked dorky then.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/08/09 at 5:02 pm

I think the general feeling of people in the 70's towards the 60's was exhaustion. There had been some rough years back there...the war, assassinations, riots in the cities, endless protests, S.D.S., Weathermen, Black Panthers, Hippies, Yippies, etc. It seemed like at some point in the early seventies, the culture stopped, unplugged and took a deep breath.
   Then things got goofy.
    Fashions got weird: Just look at a catalog, magazine or T.V. show from that time. Wide ties, platform shoes, leisure suits, mini, midi, and maxi skirts, girls started going bra-less (yeaaa) and wore tube tops and halter tops (the greatest garment inventions ever).
    Personal styles began to change. After the long locks and rampant facial hair of the 60's, even conservative establishment types began sporting mustaches, letting their sideburns inch south, and letting their hair get a bit "groovier" with a couple more inches.
   And the fads got goofy: Pet rocks, mood rings, frisbees, kitchen appliances became "avocado", orange shag carpet covered rec-rooms and vans (this was pre-mini vans, when a big, black Dodge van with a couple of small tear-drop windows on the sides was the ultimate macho mobile...throw some carpet down, hang some speakers from the eight track and you had a rolling party). Musically, disco was the natural extension of all this. It basically said: Stop thinking about life, just get up and shake your bootie. Cocaine got real popular. A lot of people began the process of "finding themselves", maybe in a commune in New Mexico, hanging out at CBGBs, or hitchhiking across the country with a guitar and 32 dollars...trusting to the kindness of strangers.
   Then the 80s came and things got serious again. People shaved, finally got a haircut, went through rehab, bought "power" suits and decided to start making money. The age of the Yuppies.
  Actually, in world and U.S. history, the 70s were terrible...inflation, recessions, gas shortages, the cold war, genocide in Cambodia, the Iran hostage crisis, but it was a great time to be young and I loved it. When I look at old pictures from those days, I realize how dorky I looked...but hey EVERYONE looked dorky then.

I like your answer.  Karma for you!  :)

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/16/09 at 3:17 pm

As speaking for autistics...

In the 1960's, many autistics were still in Mental Institutions and would never see the world. But by the mid-60's some autistics would see the world because they wanted to be like the normal people. It was a slow process, but in 1972 most of them started to live the normal life.

If I was born prior to the 60's...I would be in an institution forever. :-\\

Written By: 80sfan on 11/17/09 at 8:10 am

I think the general feeling of people in the 70's towards the 60's was exhaustion.    

Whoa, no wonder 70's movies had this kinda tired, drowsy, and meloncholy feel to it.

Written By: whistledog on 11/17/09 at 9:15 am

They weren't.  Everyone was so stoned, no one can remember what happened in the 60s :D

Written By: 80sfan on 11/17/09 at 9:16 am

They weren't.  Everyone was so stoned, no one can remember what happened in the 60s :D

Hahahahahaha!  ;D ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...