inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Thriller/horror movie revival

Written By: MovieGuy78 on 11/05/09 at 2:06 pm

As I'm working in the showbiz, I read a draft for a thriller:

Draft title: The Soccer Killer

A girl gets raped by several (e.g. 3) soccer players in a high school/college/university. Every year since then the same number of random soccer players get killed or mysteriously disappear. Ten years later Troy is a soccer player in that school/university. More and more soccer players disappear during that year so its hard for the team to survive as they have to recruit new members. One evening there's a play. The killer enters the changing room and starts stabbing the players. Troy is on his way to the changing room but realizes he's lost his lucky chain on the pitch. During that time most of the team are dead or wounded. Troy finds his chain and returns to the changing room but he stops because he is shocked - he sees some blood streams leaking under the door of the room. He enters it and he is horrified - his mates are lying everywhere in blood. He decides calling 911 but his mobile phone is not working (battery discharged). As he's turning to go outside of the changing room to seek help he faces the murderer who is holding a knife. As they are slowly moving to the back of the room Troy sees a fire extinguisher and 'shoots' it at the bad guy and hits him several time. The killer falls down seemingly dead. Troy washes his eyes in order to stay cool and to realize what has happened. However, as he is looking at his reflection in the mirror he sees the killer being some feet behind him holding that knife again. The killer rushes but falls on the hand-basin and Troy starts hitting him with a baseball bat he found on the floor till he starts bleeding. The blood is seen going down the drain and the next scene the killer drops the knife and his hand dangles. Later on Troy is seen sitting by a car in the ground with his girlfriend by his side. There are cops, police cars and ambulances everywhere.
Cop: Are you alright kid?
Troy: Guess I can handle it.
Troy's girlfriend: He will need some time to get over it... I'll help him. Right? (smiles and looks at Troy with love).

Last scene: Troy and his girlfriend are seen by the pitch kissing and hugging each other. They continue going as the camera is facing their backs. Then it lifts up showing the stars on the clear sky.

^That's what I remember from the plot. It is just a draft but it may become a movie in the early 10s. What do you think?

Do you think that thrillers and horrors will comeback anytime soon?

Subject: Re: Thriller/horror movie revival

Written By: snozberries on 11/05/09 at 2:14 pm

First of all as a reader aren't you sworn to like not divulge the plots of the scripts you read?

secondly...

Do you think that thrillers and horrors will comeback anytime soon?

where ya been?

Halloween 2
My Bloody Valentine
The Unborn
It's Alive
The Orphan
Saw VI
Friday the 13th
Drag Me to Hell
The Collector
Final Destination
Sorority Row
Jennifer's Body
Paranormal Activity
The Box

Um I think Horror films have to go away again before they can make a come back. :D

Written By: MovieGuy78 on 11/05/09 at 2:18 pm

It's only a draft and unofficial. It can be scrapped.

But they're not doing well in the box office.

Written By: snozberries on 11/05/09 at 2:27 pm

It's only a draft and unofficial. It can be scrapped.

I don't know I guess I just figure if it was something I had written I'd be pretty pissed you were posting it on a message board...

But they're not doing well in the box office.

most don't there are very few blockbuster horror films but they still make em...

as for the plot(IMHO)  it doesn't sound like much there are supposed to be three murders a year (give or take) but there's a mass attack.. if alll the soccer players but troy are attacked then what we have to spend the whole film following troy trying to avoid this one killer... the final male is never as successful as the final girl that's why they use her...  sorry I would need more motivation to go see it... and I love horror films.

Written By: MovieGuy78 on 11/05/09 at 2:55 pm

The final female is Troy's girlfriend (she has a fight scene with the killer the same night during the teams are playing but she fails to kill him, he's just wounded and runs away. She's the first person not to die after a fight with him.)

When it comes to what generally is considered in such movies who says it should be like all the others? Some originality is needed sometimes.

Written By: MovieGuy78 on 11/05/09 at 2:59 pm

Note: During the first five years after he lost his daughter, the killer is killing only soccer players, but then goes on killing their girlfriends as well. That's why he attacked Troy's girlfriend.

Written By: MovieGuy78 on 11/05/09 at 3:48 pm

Oops, that was supposed to be in the The 2000's section. Please move it there if possible.

Written By: snozberries on 11/05/09 at 6:18 pm

The final female is Troy's girlfriend (she has a fight scene with the killer the same night during the teams are playing but she fails to kill him, he's just wounded and runs away. She's the first person not to die after a fight with him.)

hmmm in your synopsis the girlfriend doesn't seem pivotal enough to be the final girl. I still find myself not really interested in the story line-

When it comes to what generally is considered in such movies who says it should be like all the others? Some originality is needed sometimes.

if you think about it... if the killer is the father of the girl who was assaulted then this film is just a rehash of the original Friday the 13th...  after all Jason's mom sought revenge on a bunch of teens who had no culpability in the death of her son years ago but that didn't seem to matter to her either

Written By: gibbo on 11/05/09 at 6:26 pm

These type of 'obvious' (Halloween)  type horror films don't work anymore. There is no real suspense in these films and we already know the killer will rise up after falling, suppossedly dead....and probably will come back again and again (see Halloween, Friday the 12the etc etc).

I like some suspense in my plots and Hollywood seems to have forgotten that sometimes less is more. Drama's such as Rear Window are far scarier than most of today's so-called horror films...

Verdict: Unless I win free tickets..I wouldn't go to this film...

Written By: snozberries on 11/05/09 at 6:33 pm

These type of 'obvious' (Halloween)  type horror films don't work anymore. There is no real suspense in these films and we already know the killer will rise up after falling, suppossedly dead....and probably will come back again and again (see Halloween, Friday the 12the etc etc).

I like some suspense in my plots and Hollywood seems to have forgotten that sometimes less is more. Drama's such as Rear Window are far scarier than most of today's so-called horror films...

Verdict: Unless I win free tickets..I wouldn't go to this film...

Some of them work....not all but some.. Rob Zombie's version of the original Halloween was quite good...Halloween II however sucked....
The Orphan was quite good and had a nice twist.

I don't really care if the plot or the technique is original in horror I just want it to be executed well. I hate it when the director puts no effort into it at all.. and despite that its a horror film I still think it needs an effective storyline. there has to be some amount of believability to it for me to buy into it.

Written By: loki 13 on 11/05/09 at 6:34 pm

Sounds interesting, especially the part were a random baseball bat just happens to be
laying on the floor of a changing room for a soccer team.

Written By: gibbo on 11/05/09 at 6:36 pm

Some of them work....not all but some.. Rob Zombie's version of the original Halloween was quite good...Halloween II however sucked....
The Orphan was quite good and had a nice twist.

I don't really care if the plot or the technique is original in horror I just want it to be executed well. I hate it when the director puts no effort into it at all.. and despite that its a horror film I still think it needs an effective storyline. there has to be some amount of believability to it for me to buy into it.

I agree Q...some of those original 1980's horror movies were scary (even Friday the 13th). Halloween was a great flick. But they just keep flogging the same dead horse...  Prime example...Freddy Versus Jason!!!

Written By: snozberries on 11/05/09 at 6:36 pm

Sounds interesting, especially the part were a random baseball bat just happens to be
laying on the floor of a changing room for a soccer team.

LOL well how many teams have their own changing rooms? I'm willing to bet baseball practice ended before the soccer the game... or they have changed the rules of soccer since I last played

Written By: gibbo on 11/05/09 at 6:39 pm

....and for how many years have these soccer teams been mispacing several players without the cops getting to the bottom of the issue?  I guess soccer just doesn't matter in the U.S.. Now, if it had been Grid Iron or Baseball players going missing....

Written By: snozberries on 11/05/09 at 6:43 pm

....and for how many years have these soccer teams been mispacing several players without the cops getting to the bottom of the issue?  I guess soccer just doesn't matter in the U.S.. Now, if it had been Grid Iron or Baseball players going missing....

the school's sweeping it under the mat because other wise they'd never recruit new players... and then the killer would have to branch out to the rest of the student body LOL

Written By: Womble on 11/08/09 at 12:51 pm

Please don't take offense but it's a common plot.

Check for new replies or respond here...