inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Overalls (for guys)

Written By: Ryan112390 on 11/10/09 at 2:07 am

Fashion question for any guy who was around in the early '70s...
Were overalls fashionable at any point in the early-mid 70s for men, men who were more ''hippie-ish'' or involved with the counter culture? I found a picture from 1972 or 1973 of my dad, who was a '70s hippie, and he has long hair, a mustache, sideburns, a t-shirt with overalls (with huge buckles) over it.

Subject: Re: Overalls (for guys)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/10/09 at 12:08 pm

As I recall, overalls weren't the fashion for men, but were certainly an accepted fashion alternative.  In general, denim's popularity for both genders was on a major ascent in the early 70's; whereas denim was considered rugged work clothes until the early or mid 60's, it became fashionable in the late 60's and that trend accelerated in the 70's.  It was the early 70's that prewashed denim (a big deal then) became mainstream.  Patchwork denim was popular throughout the decade.
Continuing the ascent of denim, by the mid 70's we were inundated with fancy designer jeans, something that never existed before that. 

Overalls for men: not what everybody was wearing, but certainly worn by some.

Written By: alleykid76 on 11/10/09 at 5:49 pm

I had a great pair of overalls back in the day. There was a big pocket in the middle of the chest. Unfortunately that's where the Deadwood  cops found the baggie with the pot. Ooops.

Written By: loki 13 on 11/10/09 at 5:52 pm

my overalls were light blue, just about every kid in the neighborhood had a pair.

Written By: dogwelder on 11/12/09 at 3:31 pm

HARDLY ANYONE HERE IN BROOKLYN WORE THEM.... ;D ;D.....I  DO REMEMBER DESIGNER JEANS.....THAT WAS MORE POPULAR WITH DENIM....

Check for new replies or respond here...