inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Breaking 70s pop culture down by Presidents

Written By: Ryan112390 on 11/15/09 at 8:26 pm

Hey, someone did this over in the '90s section, so I was wondering if someone could do it here--Break down the pop culture of the 70s as it began and changed, through the lens of Presidential terms. I mean, to quote the guy in the 90s section, breaking it down like so:

1993-1996 (Bill Clinton's 1st term): Alternative rock and college radio cult bands, gangsta rap (West vs. East Coast rivalry), mega blockbuster movies (Jurassic Park, Forrest Gump, Independence Day, Braveheart), conflicts in Bosnia and Somalia, Tonya Harding vs. Nancy Kerrigan, OJ Simpson Trial, Beavis and Butthead, Friends, rising popularity of Internet and Microsoft, flannel shirts

1997-2000 (Bill Clinton's 2nd term): Internet revolution/economic boom, Y2K, Europop, Teen pop, and glam rap, Spice Girls, South Park, J-Lo

2001-2004 (Bush's 1st term): 9/11, fear and paranoia, more teen pop and glam rap, peak of reality shows, American Idol

2005-2008 (Bush's 2nd term): Hurricane Katrina, Bush's declining disapproval, first signs of economic trouble/housing crisis, Web 2.0 (MySpace, Facebook, YouTube), emo and dance pop, return of good TV (The Office, Lost), autotone music

2009-2012 (Obama's 1st and hopefully not his only term): Continuing recession and lifestyle changes for many Americans (less materialism compared to the Bush years), H1N1 flu, health care reform, electro dance pop (Lady GaGa, 3oh!3, Owl City) and unfortunately more autotone, going green   

Subject: Re: Breaking 70s pop culture down by Presidents

Written By: whistledog on 11/15/09 at 8:48 pm

http://www.diller.ca/images/eek.png
DECADEOLOGY?

to quote the guy in the 90s section

You actually didn't quote him.  You just cut and pasted what he said.  That's plagarism! >:(

Just kidding.  I'm an ass.  Carry on ;)

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/21/09 at 8:32 pm

Excuse me, is this the right thread for a reference to Nixon-era pop culture from 1972?

You actually didn't quote him.  You just cut and pasted what he said.  That's plagarism! >:(

He never tried to take credit for the words.  So...

...that's not plagiarism, it's just copypasta!

Plagiarism is an intellectual process!  Copypasta is just the automatic cutting-and-pasting of what the other person had to say!

Just kidding.  I'm an ass.  Carry on ;)

Oh, I'm sorry, but this is a Monty Python parody.  You want Carry On Laughing, that's 1975, just down the corridor, under President Ford.

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/01/10 at 7:03 am

This thread is definately not considered "decadeology"; it's just a way of organizing cultural trends by presidential term. But to answer this thread after six months; here's my preliminary take:

1969-mid 1974 (Nixon): Hard rock, Glam Rock, Prog Rock, Philly Soul, Singer-Songwriters, Bubblegum Rock/Pop (Archies, Osmonds, Jacksons), The Brady Bunch, The Partridge Family, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Scooby-Doo, The Odd Couple, The Godfather, American Graffiti, Airport, rise of calculators, bell bottom pants, smiley faces, muscle cars, Jesus Freaks, heroin, rapid rise in inflation rate, rise of 1950s nostalgia, Tie-dye shirts, Wacky Packs, Adidas shoes, flared jeans, hippies fading

Mid-1974-1976 (Ford): Chest hair, the rise of disco, funk, country-pop, platform shoes, CB Radios, mood rings, Pet Rocks, 8-track tapes peak, Arena Rock, Pong, Jaws, Rocky, Happy Days, daytime game shows peak, rise of hour-long soap operas, Welcome Back, Kotter, All In The Family, Schoolhouse Rock

1977-1980 (Carter): Punk, Studio 54, rise of synthesizer use, downsizing of cars, Star Wars, John Travolta, Grease, Three's Company, Charlie's Angels, WKRP in Cincinnati, Saturday Night Live & Fever, early new wave, introduction of PC computers, Atari 2600, VHS/Beta, roller skating, rise of electronic handheld games, rise of shopping malls, tanning salons

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/02/10 at 7:15 pm

This thread is definately not considered "decadeology"; it's just a way of organizing cultural trends by presidential term.

So in other words, what we have here is...

PRESIDENTOLOGY!!!

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/arrrrrgh.gif

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/02/10 at 7:23 pm

;D

Check for new replies or respond here...