inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Long sideburns

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/01/09 at 7:11 pm

I realize there's a sideburns thread in the 90s section, but that is about the comeback of sideburns in the 90s.
I was wondering if sideburns were popular even at the beginning of the 70s, and about when did they start to fade from mainstream popularity?
When in the 70s did they hit their height--Like what year? Were they still popular in the mainstream by the late 70s? By 1980-1981?

Subject: Re: Long sideburns

Written By: whistledog on 12/01/09 at 7:30 pm

Sideburns were around long before the 70s ::)

http://spiderdiaries.richmond.edu/grant11/files/2007/11/450px-ambrose_everett_burnside.jpg

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/01/09 at 7:50 pm

You seem to have a sarcastic reply in every thread I make...
I was asking solely about the sideburns of the 60s and 70s, and just some specifics.
Also..Anyone know what inspired the sideburns of the 60s and 70s? Was it the Beatles?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/01/09 at 8:12 pm

Well I'm not sure when they first got popular, but IMO sideburns were popular throughout the 70's.

As a teen girl during the 70's, I tended to notice such things.  A good lookin' guy with nice sideburns - ooh la la!    :D

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/01/09 at 8:28 pm

Well I'm not sure when they first got popular, but IMO sideburns were popular throughout the 70's.

As a teen girl during the 70's, I tended to notice such things.  A good lookin' guy with nice sideburns - ooh la la!    :D

Lol. Did you like the uber-long Elvis burns like muttonchops or like the more moderate, say mid ear length burns?

Pretty much every man on my mom's side of the family had sideburns during the '70s, even my grandpa and step-grandpa who were in their 50s. My mom's first husband actually grew mutton chops, which she apparently liked.

Written By: joeman on 12/01/09 at 8:35 pm

My dad was in his early 30's in the 70s and he had the whole set.  Long Sideburns, Afro, hell even platform shoes.  :D

Written By: whistledog on 12/01/09 at 8:41 pm

You seem to have a sarcastic reply in every thread I make...

Not every thread.  There was a few that I missed :D

It just seems like you start a topic, then instead of responding back to posts in the topic, you move onto starting a new topic and then another new one.  My sarcasm did get you to respond to your topic though lol

Sideburns were popular all through the 60s and 70s.  Elvis Presley proved that

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/142/069_3727~Elvis-Presley-Posters.jpg

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/01/09 at 9:14 pm

Lol. Did you like the uber-long Elvis burns like muttonchops or like the more moderate, say mid ear length burns?

Hmmm.  The huge mutton chops could look a bit extreme, but a few guys pulled it off magnificently.  Usually medium length (a little below the ear), straight, neat - that look ws pretty mainstream.  And mostly good.  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...