inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did your city switch from single-screen movie theaters to multiplexes?

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/04/09 at 7:42 am

I wasn't born yet when the switch occured, but from what I've read the 1970s really had a trend toward multi-screen theaters, particularly in malls and shopping centers (though it was more like a 3 to 8 screen design as opposed to the 10+ of today's multiplexes). At the same time, many of the single/double neighborhood theaters were in decline or closing (though a few continued for a while and some still operate today). It also really made the drive-in obsolete, and can also be attributed to the rise in big-money "blockbusters" that started.

Subject: Re: When did your city switch from single-screen movie theaters to multiplexes?

Written By: karen on 12/04/09 at 7:48 am

the town in the UK I grew up in had two cinemas when I was very young.  (My parents remember two others).

Anyway one had just a single screen (it closed sometime in the early seventies and became a bingo hall).  The other cinema has always had a few screens.  In the seventies and eighties it had four screens (two large for the 'big' films and two smaller ones).  At some point in the nineties it took over the nightclub nextdoor and expanded to six screens.

I remember the first multiplex cinema opening in a nearby city sometime in the mid-eighties.

Subject: Re: When did your city switch from single-screen movie theaters to multiplexes?

Written By: gmann on 12/04/09 at 4:19 pm

When I was a kid, my suburban hometown had two independently-owned theaters; one with two screens, the other with three. About the time I started middle school in the mid-80's, an eight-screen multiplex opened up a few miles down the road. It was later expanded, and ultimately snuffed out whatever life was left in the smaller operations a few years later. The area still has a drive-in, believe it or not.

Written By: Davester on 12/05/09 at 7:17 pm

The antiquated movie house in Vallejo (The Empress).  I think it had a single screen.  Last flick I saw there was a double feature in 1985 and it closed shortly after.  I do remember it being converted onto a night club and bar for awhile...

Also in Vallejo was the Cine 3.  Last flick I watched there was Stephen King's "Misery" in 1991.  It closed and was subsequently converted into a church in the mid 1990s...

Written By: Frank on 12/07/09 at 1:19 am

I wasn't born yet when the switch occured, but from what I've read the 1970s really had a trend toward multi-screen theaters, particularly in malls and shopping centers (though it was more like a 3 to 8 screen design as opposed to the 10+ of today's multiplexes). At the same time, many of the single/double neighborhood theaters were in decline or closing (though a few continued for a while and some still operate today). It also really made the drive-in obsolete, and can also be attributed to the rise in big-money "blockbusters" that started.

Gee, I think even back to the 70s we have these "multi-screen theaters" back in Montreal. I recall seeing "Star Wars" in one of those. It might even go back to the early 70s when the change began to occur in some theaters.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/17/09 at 8:10 pm

The growth of the suburbs created a bigger demand for convenient cinema.  Why take all night driving back and from the city?  The theater companies could by land pretty cheap in the 'burbs up through the sixties, so they were an institution by the time I was born (1969).  The "downtown" cinemas that succeed today rely on art films and reruns to keep them afloat.  Which is beneficial in a way.  However, if you can find a genuine old city movie house, they're often dolled up like the theater -- because that's what they used to be.  When they started the cinemaplexes, the bigshots had figure out the public will got movies if you show them in a giant shoebox, so that's what we've seen ever since. 

When I was growing up, we went to the movies once almost every week.  I haven't been to a theater since I went with an old GF to see the new Star Trek.  It took more than the home video revolution to get the cinema to start classing up its act.  It took things like the Internet and Netflix to get the cinemas to offer up Crepe Suzette and Clean well-lit auditoriums!  Otherwise, why go?  You have to drive drive there and it costs a fortune.  Might as well go to a ball game.  At least at a ball game, you don't know who's going to win!
::)

Written By: Tam on 12/17/09 at 9:33 pm

In my home town we had 2 single screen theatres in the '70s - right across the street from each other.

The Hyland Theatre was a huge screen with the lower floor and a balcony. it was gorgeous!
The Odeon Theatre had one screen with a balcony, but it wasn't elaborate. The Odeon later turned into 2 screens in '78 or '79.
By the end of the '80s, both theatre's were turned into bars / clubs. The Grizzly Grill/AJ's Hangar and Stages respectively.

By 1985, both had closed down and an 8 screen theatre opened up further downtown. It was called The Capitol Theatre.

Of course, by the early '90s, a brand new theatre opened up in the outskirts of town called the Cineplex Odeon. It had something like 10 screens.
And apparently now, there is a 20+ screen theatre just down the road from the Cineplex. No clue what it is called though.

Written By: whistledog on 12/17/09 at 10:42 pm

In my home town we had 2 single screen theatres in the '70s - right across the street from each other.

The Hyland Theatre was a huge screen with the lower floor and a balcony. it was gorgeous!
The Odeon Theatre had one screen with a balcony, but it wasn't elaborate. The Odeon later turned into 2 screens in '78 or '79.
By the end of the '80s, both theatre's were turned into bars / clubs. The Grizzly Grill/AJ's Hangar and Stages respectively.

By 1985, both had closed down and an 8 screen theatre opened up further downtown. It was called The Capitol Theatre.

Of course, by the early '90s, a brand new theatre opened up in the outskirts of town called the Cineplex Odeon. It had something like 10 screens.
And apparently now, there is a 20+ screen theatre just down the road from the Cineplex. No clue what it is called though.

The Cineplex Odeon at the Rio Can has (i think) 12 screens, and the Empire Theatre downtown (formerly the Capitol 7 theatre) has the same screens it used to (The two crappy small ones at the front, and the larger ones in back, each with their own names)

Then the Mustang Drive-In at Family Fun World (3 screens)

Written By: Tam on 12/17/09 at 10:57 pm

The Cineplex Odeon at the Rio Can has (i think) 12 screens, and the Empire Theatre downtown (formerly the Capitol 7 theatre) has the same screens it used to (The two crappy small ones at the front, and the larger ones in back, each with their own names)

Then the Mustang Drive-In at Family Fun World (3 screens)

Thanks Jas!
I knew you would kick in and correct me where I was wrong! It has been too long! 8)

Check for new replies or respond here...