inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Disco or Rock N' Roll?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/28/09 at 7:02 pm

I've heard, from people who were around then, that there was a HUGE rivalry/hatred/dislike between those who liked rock and metal, and those who loved Disco. At least here in NYC, from what I've heard, the unspoken rule basically was you were either one or the other--you couldn't be both.

So I ask you--If you were alive in the mid/late 70s, what were you? Were you a rock n' roller or a Disco king? And for those of us who weren't alive then, what do you think you would've been, had you had to pick a ''side''?

Subject: Re: Disco or Rock N' Roll?

Written By: loki 13 on 12/28/09 at 7:49 pm

DISCO SUCKS....was pretty much the battle cry. I've grown to tolerate some of it now but back then.....DISCO SUCKS.

Written By: Frank on 12/28/09 at 9:52 pm

I've heard, from people who were around then, that there was a HUGE rivalry/hatred/dislike between those who liked rock and metal, and those who loved Disco. At least here in NYC, from what I've heard, the unspoken rule basically was you were either one or the other--you couldn't be both.

So I ask you--If you were alive in the mid/late 70s, what were you? Were you a rock n' roller or a Disco king? And for those of us who weren't alive then, what do you think you would've been, had you had to pick a ''side''?

there was a huge "'dislike" between those who liked Rock and Disco. Yeh, you were on one side or the other, not both. I was more of a rock guy but also liked disco almost as much, kinda different from most of the people around me.

I wasn't a DISCO SUCKS guy like most of my friends were tho. But there was a dislike between both groups.

Written By: gibbo on 12/29/09 at 12:01 am

I liked both ....although I was more in the middle. The albums I bought were neither heavy rock or disco. Mostly Eagles, America, Jackson Browne, James Taylor. I also bought KISS and ACDC .... but balanced it with Saturday Night Fever and MJ's Off The Wall album.

Basically, to chase women I had to listen to disco... ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 12/29/09 at 5:41 am

I never understood why anyone should feel that they had to choose.  ;)

The whole disco v. rock thing was a manufactured conflict. Disco was black, or wannabe, Rock and Roll was white, or wannabe.  I remember Rock DJs  absolutely trashing Michael Jacksons Thriller, refusing to play it, aghast that there were people who liked it as well as Polices' Synchronicity, as if you were a traitor to rock if you did.  Some people, a vocal, easily led minority, fell for it, most didn't and continued to listen to both.

Written By: Christie Marie M on 12/29/09 at 7:26 am

Don't matter, although disco music played when I was a baby, I began to like it later on. But when I was a kid, I would only listen to rock n' roll.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/30/09 at 7:17 pm

I'm another person in the "I Like Both" camp, though I liked Disco more then, since I loved to dance.  I never stopped liking Rock (my taste had already been formed earlier in the decade).  Even at that time, as a mid/late teen, I sensed that there was something less than 'meaty' about the Disco genre, despite that I liked it.  As years have passed my appreciation for Rock of that era has grown whereas my appreciation for Disco has waned, but then I haven't stopped liking Disco. 

Written By: Entouch on 01/03/10 at 10:32 pm

There was a definite rivalry between Disco and Rock and Roll music. I personally enjoyed
both. I admit I could understand the backlash, Disco became wayyyyyyy too saturated. Radio
stations were adding Disco to their formats, Rolling Stones, Cher, and Barbara Streisand went Disco,
and the success of Saturday Night Fever movie. Disco music to me was just an escape. It was about
dancing your heart out in the clubs and having a good time.  Rock and Roll it depends what
genre you were into hard rock soft rock and punk .I liked pop rock the most , Fleetwood Mac the Eagles, Abba, and Paul McCartney Wings to name a few.

I thought the Disco Sucks t-shirts buttons and bumper stickers was taking it way too far. If you didnt
like it dont listen.  The demostration at the Chicago ballpark took on a whole new level.  Was it
really that serious? Did everyone think Disco was going to take over the world?

There were some who believed being anti-Disco you were anti-Gay. I think we know Disco originated
ifrom the small clubs in the gay community.

To me music is based on our preferences I dont think 1 genre of music is better than the other. I loved
listening to Donna Summer back in the day but i had a thing for The Clash especially Joe Strummer.  LOL.

Written By: wildcard on 01/03/10 at 10:41 pm

I'm much more in to rock, but  I'd be one of those that would be on neither side as in I'm not playing choose a side.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 01/04/10 at 4:42 pm

My dad, sometime around around '78 or '79, got hit on the head with the back of the head with a glass bottle as he was walking through a park cause he was wearing a Disco Sucks pin.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/04/10 at 10:21 pm

I never understood why anyone should feel that they had to choose.   ;)

The whole disco v. rock thing was a manufactured conflict. Disco was black, or wannabe, Rock and Roll was white, or wannabe.  I remember Rock DJs  absolutely trashing Michael Jacksons Thriller, refusing to play it, aghast that there were people who liked it as well as Polices' Synchronicity, as if you were a traitor to rock if you did.  Some people, a vocal, easily led minority, fell for it, most didn't and continued to listen to both.

The funny thing is Black folks invented Rock 'n' Roll.  If hadn't been for guys like Cab Calloway, Louis Jordan, Big Joe Turner...and Ike Turner, for that matter, Aereosmith would be playing jigs and polkas! 

I vote for Disco and Rick 'n' Roll, citing great classic rock hits from the '70s such as the Rolling Stones' "Miss You" and Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall," which fused the two styles seamlessly.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_thumleft.gif

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/05/10 at 2:06 pm

I liked both ....although I was more in the middle.

Same here.  I loved the Bee Gees during their disco height, but I think I tended to listen to more rock 'n roll (as that was what my older brothers always played).  Good songs from both genres.  :)

I do remember my brothers not caring much for disco...and a lot of their friends flat-out hated it.  Never quite understood why, but oh well. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/05/10 at 7:32 pm

I think some people just had an aversion to the four-to-the-floor beat of Disco, which the industry was force-feeding every other kind of music by the end of the '70s -- even classical! 

Anybody remember "Saturday Night Fiedler"?
8-P

Written By: tv on 01/06/10 at 1:00 pm

I never understood why anyone should feel that they had to choose.   ;)

Funny, if Rock DJ's didn;t want to play "Thriller" I mean after all Eddie Van Halen did the "riff" for MJ's hit "Beat It".

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/06/10 at 11:18 pm

Funny, if Rock DJ's didn;t want to play "Thriller" I mean after all Eddie Van Halen did the "riff" for MJ's hit "Beat It".

Eddie or no, Rock DJs were gonna play Thriller if they wanted to keep their jobs!

Written By: danootaandme on 01/07/10 at 6:11 am

Eddie Van Halen was a musician not a deejay, and that was a great riff.

Check for new replies or respond here...