inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1974

Written By: Wiz83 on 12/29/09 at 6:13 pm

Unfortunately, I wasn't alive in the '70s.  But from a pop culture perspective, 1974 is my favorite year of the '70s.  There was just so much good music and TV shows on that year.  It was also a very historically relevent year for this country.  It was the second year of the Watergate scandal and saw the first resignation of a president in U.S. history.  That was also the year of the Patty Herst kidnapping. To those who were alive and remember that year, what are your memories of it?

Subject: Re: 1974

Written By: whistledog on 12/29/09 at 7:41 pm

One of the best songs of 1974 ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mYBsYatVUc

Written By: Frank on 12/29/09 at 10:14 pm

Unfortunately, I wasn't alive in the '70s.  But from a pop culture perspective, 1974 is my favorite year of the '70s.  There was just so much good music and TV shows on that year.  It was also a very historically relevent year for this country.  It was the second year of the Watergate scandal and saw the first resignation of a president in U.S. history.  That was also the year of the Patty Herst kidnapping. To those who were alive and remember that year, what are your memories of it?

I was in 6th grade in 1974, and I do recall Television changing and music changing a little. Gone in the past few years from TV were families like the Brady Bunch and the Partridge Family (shows I liked), together with My Three Sons, Beverly Hillbilies and Bewitched (all shows I watched) and families like the Osmonds and Jackson 5 weren't as popular and this was just before Disco.

People ( in my neighborhood) were buying K-Tel albums and anyone who had one was really cool!

My recollection was that Watergate was on just about every day and that scandal dominated the news (even though I lived in Canada), along with the Vietnam war. Nixon's last day was August 8th or 9th in 1974.

Written By: gibbo on 12/30/09 at 4:02 am

1974 eh? (and I'm NOT Canadian)... ;)  Many of my memories are quite vivid from that period..although I tend to spill over into 1975 easily...

While the impeachment of Nixon was big news worldwide, I guess as a 14 year old I was more interested in Evel Knievel failing in his attempt to jump the Snake River Canyon (that guy was great entertainment value), Ali V Foreman's 'Rumble in the Jungle' and Ted Bundy (serial killer) was running amok around America at the time. ABBA won the Eurovision song contest and shortly afterwards started to have a string of number 1 hits over here.

I remember the surrender of a Japanese soldier on a remote Pacific Island who was not aware that the war had ended...

The IRA were running amok in Britain.

Cyclone Tracy flattened Darwin on Christmas Eve 1974...

I do recall the intriguing Patti Hearst so-called kidnapping saga...

Music: Some that I liked were; Kung Fu Fighting, Seasons In the Sun, Waterloo, The Joker (probably my favourite), The Eagles were hitting it big, Doobie Brothers, America, Paul McCartney and Wings, Status Quo, The Sweet, David Bowies 'Sorrow' just came to mind .....actually there are too many to mention.  :o  I was pretty much glued to the radio...

Movies: I remember seeing Earthquake and The Towering Inferno that year.....and I'm sure I saw Airport 1975 that year too (must have been in December).  Blazing Saddles also comes to mind... One of the Godfather movies also came out that year (but, of course I had to wait a few years to see it).

TV: My favourite shows were: Happy Days, Kung Fu, M*A*S*H, The Six Million Dollar Man and Monty Python's Flying Circus. There were a lot of cop shows like Colombo, Barnaby Jones, Streets of San Fran Cisco and MacMillan and Wife I watched occasionally. Shows like The Partridge Family and Brady Bunch were coming to their end...

I remember in Australia 'Think Big' won our Melbourne Cup (our biggest horse race).

Allin all ... I loved 1974!!! :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/30/09 at 7:28 pm

I found Nixon's resignation utterly shocking - and I didn't even like him!  When Nixon resigned, we knew we were watching something unique in US history, and it was ugly.  I remember thinking, gosh I don't know a darn thing about Gerald Ford - I hope he can preside over the country with some semblance of competence...

1974 was an interesting time to be a 14 year old girl, but one thing can't be denied - the music was the best!  (My 14 year old world consisted of music, fashion, girlfriends, and of course, boys.)  ::)

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/31/09 at 4:39 pm

I wasn't alive then, but I know my mother and her first husband, my sisters' father, separated around March of that year, and from then on my mom was a single mom. My cousin Ralph was born in April. My grandpa (who had suffered a major stroke in May-June 1973) moved back into my grandmother's house around January (they were separated and my grandma was already with my step-grandpa; she let him stay as he was ill and couldn't afford to live anywhere else), and suffered a pulmonary embolism, survived, and was treated for it around December.

My started a year long LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) program in December '74, graduating from it and becoming an LPN in December 1975.

Check for new replies or respond here...