inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cartoons of the '70s?

Written By: Wiz83 on 02/05/10 at 4:41 pm

I'm wondering if those on this forum who were kids in the '70s can tell me what cartoons were popular in the '70s.  I can think of a few like Scooby-Doo, Fat Albert, Josie & the Pussycat, etc.  What cartoons were on Saturday mornings?

Subject: Re: Cartoons of the '70s?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/05/10 at 6:29 pm

Due to my age, I had outgrown cartoons by mid-decade.  However, I can tell you that all of the ones you mentioned were very popular (Josie & Pussycats, Scooby Doo, Fat Albert).  Not technically a cartoon but cartoon-like was the Banana Splits, also very popular.  Cartoons I also liked were the Jackson Five and Osmonds cartoons, since I liked both the Jackson Five and Osmonds.

I'll let someone else speak to what was popular later in the decade.

Written By: gibbo on 02/05/10 at 7:04 pm

Cartonns were just as big in the 70's as now. They had all the Hanna-Barberra shows like Yogi Bear and Huckleberry Hound, Top Cat etc. There were the Looney Tunes characters, Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig etc...not to mention Road Runner and Coyote, Foghorn Leghorn, Pepe le Pew (the skunk), Tweety and Sylvester.

To add to these Scooby Doo came in ... Tom and Jerry were still playing.

The Flintstones were playing in prime time for a while back then ...followed by The Jetsons. I used to watch Hong Kong Fui and a show called QT Hush.

They still played Felix The Cat, Popeye and Mr Magoo as well.

The Banana Splits had some good toon shows incorporated and there were the early Japanese based anime shows such as Kimba, Prince Planet, Astro Boy, Aqua Boy, Gigantor and Speed Racer.

To add to these...we had Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, Superman, Batman, Spiderman cartoons.

Yep...there were plenty to choose from in that lot.....and considering we only had a few tv stations to watch too.  These were just the shows I can recall off the top of my head....I can actually remember more now (but I won't go on)!

Written By: Woops on 02/05/10 at 7:10 pm

Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, and Popeye were originally theatrical cartoons and were aimed for the general public and mainly adults.

Check out Toon Zone, they'll have more information. Though personally, the '70's was a bad era for cartoons.

Written By: dogwelder on 02/05/10 at 9:51 pm

what was better then waking up saturday morning with a bowl of quisp or cap'n crunch cereal and watchin' cartoons??

my faves in no order:
superfriends
jabbajaw
hong kong fooie
laff a lympics
scooby
stooge robots
harlem globetrotters
gilligans planet

and i didn't include live action shows like land of the lost, shazam, run joe run, or big john little john

Written By: gumbypiz on 02/06/10 at 4:32 am

what was better then waking up saturday morning with a bowl of quisp or cap'n crunch cereal and watchin' cartoons??

my faves in no order:
superfriends
jabbajaw
hong kong fooie
laff a lympics
scooby
stooge robots
harlem globetrotters
gilligans planet

and i didn't include live action shows like land of the lost, shazam, run joe run, or big john little john

You pretty much nailed it excepting for a few of the more obscure ones like:
The Funky Phantom
Speed Buggy
Josie & The Pussycats (and later Josie & The Pussycats "In Outer Space")
The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan
Captain Caveman & The Teen Angels
and action shows like Electra Woman & Dyna Girl, Dr. Shrinker and the Syd & Marty Krofft Hour and lots more.

The great thing about Saturday Mornings in the 70's is that there was no presumption of political correctness or PSA's as they developed during the 80's. It was all fun...poor and limited animation, crappy quality mind you, but fun.

Also notice that some of those cartoons were actually funny. There was humor and you could actually expect to laugh at some point. Unlike today were most animated children cartoons are void of any humor, you need to watch more adult-oriented animated fare like Family Guy or South Park to get humor or a laugh from an animated show nowadays...

We had School House Rock, and Time for Timer to teach us the spelling, grammar and math basics, and surprisingly they taught us more than most kids today know about US history, spelling, grammar, or proper eating and grooming habits...the things most kids and adults should know today but don't seem to have been taught.

And all we needed was a bowl of sugary cereal, and the willingness to get up just as early to watch cartoons on Saturday as we did (begrudgingly) on a weekday to go to school. Funny how we had no trouble getting out of bed on a Saturday morning, huh?

The TV was ours from about 7:30am (Davy & Goliath) to 11:00 (Fat Albert) and then Mom & Dad kicked us outside to play...days I miss.

Written By: dogwelder on 02/06/10 at 11:32 am

i remember all those shows......especially electrowoman and dynagirl............

Written By: Frank on 02/06/10 at 4:40 pm

my faves in no order:
superfriends
jabbajaw
hong kong fooie
laff a lympics
scooby
stooge robots
harlem globetrotters
gilligans planet

The Funky Phantom
Speed Buggy
and action shows like Electra Woman & Dyna Girl, Dr. Shrinker and the Syd & Marty Krofft Hour and lots more.

The great thing about Saturday Mornings in the 70's is that there was no presumption of political correctness or PSA's as they developed during the 80's. It was all fun...poor and limited animation, crappy quality mind you, but fun.

Also notice that some of those cartoons were actually funny. There was humor and you could actually expect to laugh at some point. Unlike today were most animated children cartoons are void of any humor, you need to watch more adult-oriented animated fare like Family Guy or South Park to get humor or a laugh from an animated show nowadays...

We had School House Rock, and Time for Timer to teach us the spelling, grammar and math basics, and surprisingly they taught us more than most kids today know about US history, spelling, grammar, or proper eating and grooming habits...the things most kids and adults should know today but don't seem to have been taught.

And all we needed was a bowl of sugary cereal, and the willingness to get up just as early to watch cartoons on Saturday as we did (begrudgingly) on a weekday to go to school. Funny how we had no trouble getting out of bed on a Saturday morning, huh?

The TV was ours from about 7:30am (Davy & Goliath) to 11:00 (Fat Albert) and then Mom & Dad kicked us outside to play...days I miss.

Great shows. I also include Underdog and Shazam, which were still on in the early 1970s, and the Banana splits
I miss those days. Eating cereal (Frosted Flakes) and watching TV

Written By: Wiz83 on 02/06/10 at 6:41 pm

Thanks for the all the replies.  The reason I posted this thread is because it doesn't look like there were many NEW cartoons made in the '70s, aside from the ones I mentioned.  Most of the cartoons brought up in the replies were basically reruns of older cartoons.  The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Tom & Jerry, Looney Toons all originally started running in the '50s &'60s.  Heck, Popeye was orginally from the '30s.  But as far as new animation goes, the '70s seem rather dry.  The real animation explosion seemed to come in the '80s & '90s, which brought us Smurfs, Transformers, Thundercats, TMNT, Garfield & Friends, Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Bobby's World, Tiny Toon Adventures, Animaniacs, etc.  Those decades also brought us the first groundbreaking animated shows not strictly for kids or not for kids at all:  The Simpsons, The Ren & Stimpy Show, Rocko's Modern Life, Beavis and Butthead, Duckman, South Park, Family Guy.

Written By: gibbo on 02/07/10 at 1:49 am

Thanks for the all the replies.  The reason I posted this thread is because it doesn't look like there were many NEW cartoons made in the '70s, aside from the ones I mentioned.  Most of the cartoons brought up in the replies were basically reruns of older cartoons.  The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Tom & Jerry, Looney Toons all originally started running in the '50s &'60s.  Heck, Popeye was orginally from the '30s.  But as far as new animation goes, the '70s seem rather dry.  The real animation explosion seemed to come in the '80s & '90s, which brought us Smurfs, Transformers, Thundercats, TMNT, Garfield & Friends, Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Bobby's World, Tiny Toon Adventures, Animaniacs, etc.  Those decades also brought us the first groundbreaking animated shows not strictly for kids or not for kids at all:  The Simpsons, The Ren & Stimpy Show, Rocko's Modern Life, Beavis and Butthead, Duckman, South Park, Family Guy.

Yes..you are correct...the main fresh cartoons in the 70's were Japanese based anime...Speed Racer and the like....

Written By: Womble on 02/07/10 at 1:10 pm

How about Kimba the White Lion and Roger Ramjet? Then again, those shows may have originated in the 60's.

Written By: Davester on 02/07/10 at 2:34 pm

The Funky Phantom
Speed Buggy

Getting-up on Saturday morning was nothing less than glorious.  I was usually the second person in the house to get out of bed, after my grandfather, and the scent of fresh brewed coffee wafted through the house.  Yank the blanket off the bed, throw it over my head and shuffle into the kitchen for cereal.  Gramps would fix me a cup of coffee in my Way Out Watermelon mug...

I remember a lot of "continuing adventures of", spin-offs and odd pairings in cartoons - The New Adventures of Gilligan, Popeye and Friends, New Adventures of Batman, Heathcliff and Marmaduke, Pebbles and Bam-Bam Show, Fred Flintstone and Friends, Fred and Barney Meet the Shmoo, The New Shmoo, Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo, Superfriends, All New Superfriends Hour, Challenge of the Superfriends, The Plastic Man Comedy/Adventure Show, Batman/Tarzan Adventure Hour, Tarzan and the Super 7, and so on.  New shows, but with familiar characters...

And those are just the animated Saturday morning fare, not including the live action shows - Isis, Shazam!, Jason of Star Command, Space Academy, Land of the Lost and various misc. Krofft shows...

You're exactly right about Fat Albert.  It wrapped-up the morning 'toons.  I believe it was followed by something boring like American Bandstand or Soul Train.  At that point it was time to change out of our feet pajamas and into our Toughskins and head out into the sun...

Written By: dogwelder on 02/07/10 at 9:07 pm

Thanks for the all the replies.  The reason I posted this thread is because it doesn't look like there were many NEW cartoons made in the '70s, aside from the ones I mentioned. 

there were plenty of new cartoons in the '70's.............abc, nbc, and cbs always had a buncha new shows every season.......in this decade there had to be at least 100 new cartoons and kiddie stuff on saturday mornings....

Written By: gumbypiz on 02/08/10 at 1:56 am

there were plenty of new cartoons in the '70's.............abc, nbc, and cbs always had a buncha new shows every season.......in this decade there had to be at least 100 new cartoons and kiddie stuff on saturday mornings....

Heck yeah, there was.
As a matter of fact the first Friday night after school started again in the fall (right after Labor Day usually) all the networks had a "premier" sneak-peek look a the new and upcoming Saturday Morning Cartoons shows.

It usually aired on that Friday, about 7:30pm or 8 for an hour and gave kids teasers shots of the new shows for the season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-2dmXHEJ7M

Next to Christmas and the end of the school year in June, there wasn't a more important night in a kids life in the 70's. :D

I remember promising to eat all my veggies for a week to be allowed to see those premier Saturday morning cartoon sneak peek shows at 8pm that Friday, as they pre-empted my parents usual fare on TV...silly as it seemed, it was a big deal to a kid back then.

It was like the Super Bowl or American Idol now to a kid in the 70's, I'm sure the ratings for that Friday at 8pm were through the roof! ;)

Written By: robby76 on 02/08/10 at 4:42 am

Wait Til Your Father Gets Home and Sport Billy!  :)

http://www.pestaola.gr/images/sportbilly.jpg

http://content6.flixster.com/question/49/31/52/4931520_std.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/09/10 at 10:53 pm

Getting-up on Saturday morning was nothing less than glorious.  I was usually the second person in the house to get out of bed, after my grandfather, and the scent of fresh brewed coffee wafted through the house.  Yank the blanket off the bed, throw it over my head and shuffle into the kitchen for cereal.  Gramps would fix me a cup of coffee in my Way Out Watermelon mug...

I remember a lot of "continuing adventures of", spin-offs and odd pairings in cartoons - The New Adventures of Gilligan, Popeye and Friends, New Adventures of Batman, Heathcliff and Marmaduke, Pebbles and Bam-Bam Show, Fred Flintstone and Friends, Fred and Barney Meet the Shmoo, The New Shmoo, Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo, Superfriends, All New Superfriends Hour, Challenge of the Superfriends, The Plastic Man Comedy/Adventure Show, Batman/Tarzan Adventure Hour, Tarzan and the Super 7, and so on.  New shows, but with familiar characters...

And those are just the animated Saturday morning fare, not including the live action shows - Isis, Shazam!, Jason of Star Command, Space Academy, Land of the Lost and various misc. Krofft shows...

You're exactly right about Fat Albert.  It wrapped-up the morning 'toons.  I believe it was followed by something boring like American Bandstand or Soul Train.  At that point it was time to change out of our feet pajamas and into our Toughskins and head out into the sun...

That sounds like a great vacation.  You should start a seventies kid B&B! 

...wait a minute how old were you when gramps started fixing you coffee?
???

The after-school UHF cartoons I remember best were indeed reruns:

Yogi Bear (1960s -- Hanna-Barbera)
The Flintstones (1960-1966 -- Hanna-Barbera)
Mighty Mouse (1940s -- Terrytoons)
Tom & Jerry (1940-1972 -- various)
Casper The Friendly Ghost ((1940s-1960s -- various)
Woody Woodpecker (1940-1970 -- various)

And so on...

You might think Yogi and the Flintstones are kinda dumb, but they're Shakespeare compared to Wally Gator or Touche Turtle!  So that was the great cartoon slump of the 1970s and 1980s.  In fact, the '80s cartoons were all based on toys and sugared cereals.  The Simpsons rejuvenated the cartoon industry in the late '80s.  The Simpsons is credited as a predecessor to "adult-oriented" cartoons, such as South Park and Family Guy, but it also raised the bar on storyboards.  No Simpsons = no Rugrats, no Spongebob.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/14/10 at 8:47 am

What? No one mentioned the Brady Kids? I guess most people WANT to forget that one. lol. Yeah, it was pretty bad.

I'm also glad that someone mentioned one of my favorites: Wait 'Til Your Father Gets Home. That was on Wednesday nights and geared toward Adults rather than kids-which is why I loved it. It was sort of the Simpsons of its day but I guess it didn't catch on like the Simpsons did.

What kind of reminded me of Wait 'Til Your Father Gets Home was the Roman Holidays.

Cat

Written By: dogwelder on 02/14/10 at 8:48 pm

i remember the roman holidays and the brady kids................there was a tarzan cartoon i remember, it didn't last long.

Written By: Davester on 02/14/10 at 9:29 pm

That sounds like a great vacation.  You should start a seventies kid B&B! 

...wait a minute how old were you when gramps started fixing you coffee?
???

It was and, really, it's still the same, 'cept for the cartoons... :P

I must have been six when I first started having coffee.  He called it "French coffee".  It was just coffee and milk...

The after-school UHF cartoons I remember best were indeed reruns:

Yogi Bear (1960s -- Hanna-Barbera)
The Flintstones (1960-1966 -- Hanna-Barbera)
Mighty Mouse (1940s -- Terrytoons)
Tom & Jerry (1940-1972 -- various)
Casper The Friendly Ghost ((1940s-1960s -- various)
Woody Woodpecker (1940-1970 -- various)

And so on...

Yeah, the weekday 'toons were altogether different.  There was a clear distinction between Saturday morning 'toons and weekday after school 'toons... 

You might think Yogi and the Flintstones are kinda dumb, but they're Shakespeare compared to Wally Gator or Touche Turtle!  So that was the great cartoon slump of the 1970s and 1980s.  In fact, the '80s cartoons were all based on toys and sugared cereals.  The Simpsons rejuvenated the cartoon industry in the late '80s.  The Simpsons is credited as a predecessor to "adult-oriented" cartoons, such as South Park and Family Guy, but it also raised the bar on storyboards.  No Simpsons = no Rugrats, no Spongebob.

I have a few seasons of the various Superfriends shows, and the extras are interesting to watch.  The talking heads suggest, regarding the simplistic storytelling in '70s animation, we look at those cartoons in context - as products of their time.  The Vietnam war had a lot to do with the watered down themes of children's programming.  The country's political pendulum had taken a swing for the liberal after Saigon fell and parent's groups put pressure on the networks to make kid's shows less violent and to incorporate into them some moral and ethical value.  Good triumphs over evil.  Don't steal.  Don't lie.  Eat your vegetables.  Look both ways before crossing.  Think about it - all that and you get to learn arts, crafts and magic tricks from Superman, himself!  Think of it as preparation for a million latchkey kids...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/15/10 at 9:09 pm

It was and, really, it's still the same, 'cept for the cartoons... :P

I must have been six when I first started having coffee.  He called it "French coffee".  It was just coffee and milk...

Yeah, the weekday 'toons were altogether different.  There was a clear distinction between Saturday morning 'toons and weekday after school 'toons... 

I have a few seasons of the various Superfriends shows, and the extras are interesting to watch.  The talking heads suggest, regarding the simplistic storytelling in '70s animation, we look at those cartoons in context - as products of their time.  The Vietnam war had a lot to do with the watered down themes of children's programming.  The country's political pendulum had taken a swing for the liberal after Saigon fell and parent's groups put pressure on the networks to make kid's shows less violent and to incorporate into them some moral and ethical value.  Good triumphs over evil.  Don't steal.  Don't lie.  Eat your vegetables.  Look both ways before crossing.  Think about it - all that and you get to learn arts, crafts and magic tricks from Superman, himself!  Think of it as preparation for a million latchkey kids...

I remember there was a rash of soft-boiled liberal public service announcements admonishing us to eat a balanced diet and not hurt other people's feelings inserted amidst the ads for Matchbox cars and Cap'n Crunch.  Those were the worst.  They're probably all posted on Youtube, but I don't even wanna bother!

The crying shame was what they did to Tom & Jerry in the 1960s.  No more anvils over the head, no more dynamite up the arse.  They were friends who did stuff together.  You remember the not funny ones.  The animation was cheap and miserable too.  Nothing like the magic of the 1940s. 

Owing to the cultural changes to which you alluded, they also dropped a lot of the classic shorts with racist themes.  Such as, the TNT blows up on Daffy Duck so he turns all black and gets drawn with a slice of watermelon and a banjo!  I agree with that decision, but the sexist cartoons were still rampant in the '70s.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/16/10 at 9:08 am

One of the BEST cartoons of ALL-TIME (even though it was a 60s cartoon) was:

ROCKY & BULWINKLE!!!!!

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 02/16/10 at 3:06 pm

One of the BEST cartoons of ALL-TIME (even though it was a 60s cartoon) was:

ROCKY & BULWINKLE!!!!!

Cat

Wanna see me pull a rabbit out of a hat?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/18/10 at 7:57 am

Wanna see me pull a rabbit out of a hat?

Again? That trick never works.

Cat

Written By: Frank on 02/18/10 at 11:14 am

Again? That trick never works.

Cat

This time for sure!

Written By: dogwelder on 02/24/10 at 9:28 pm

this is why rabbits hate magic!!!

Written By: Davester on 02/25/10 at 12:03 am

Another aspect of 'toons of the time was the portrayal of science as a menace.  It's always "The Evil Scientist".  Well meaning but misguided.  Experiments that backfired.  Global domination.  No doubt science took a beating on Saturday mornings.  What was the meaning of this?  We seem to have embraced science in the 1950s into the 1960s, then reversed in the 1970s.  Like a paranoia resembling the clone wars of the Bush presidency...

Well, at least until Star Wars hit.  Then it was, "More please..." 

Written By: gumbypiz on 02/25/10 at 2:36 am

Another aspect of 'toons of the time was the portrayal of science as a menace.  It's always "The Evil Scientist".  Well meaning but misguided.  Experiments that backfired.  Global domination.  No doubt science took a beating on Saturday mornings.  What was the meaning of this?  We seem to have embraced science in the 1950s into the 1960s, then reversed in the 1970s.  Like a paranoia resembling the clone wars of the Bush presidency...

Very "spot on" observation. With every bad guy being the evil scientist trying to take over the world, or minimize the world ("Dr. Shrinker" on Sid and Marty Kroftt Hour) or blow up the world, and always for our own good...its no wonder science got such a bad rap.

But in all honesty this wasn't something that was the exclusive to 'toons, many sitcoms, comics and movies to this day propagate the mad scientist plot. Deep down inside we all have a secret suspicion of science (its about a lack of control of our environment and suspicion of those that can change it), even with all of our technology today, and what better way to express that than a limited animation, 2D character?
They can act out in ways we can't or wouldn't dream of...throw in a deserved lack of respect for the government by the mid '70's and you have a perfect combination.

What was Scooby Doo about anyway than a group of individuals that refused to accept their surroundings or the prevailing circumstances (conspiracy theorists!) around them and meddled in others affairs to dig up the truth. No job, no visible means of support, but they had enough money for gas, food and I suppose they slept, but we never had an episode showing their "home".

Keep in mind we had some odd cartoons presented to kids after JFK, Vietnam and Watergate, all shown to kids who didn't know an assassination, cover-up or a black op from the back of a cereal box.

When we were watching Hong Kong Phooey, Scooby Doo or the SuperFriends, just what the heck were we watching and what did they want us to "see"?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/25/10 at 9:36 pm

There was also the well-intentioned-but-mad scientist.  You can go back to Mary Shelley and H.G. Welles.  Heck, you can go back to Adam and Eve and the Tree of Knowledge.  Often reflected in cartoons are human archetypes.  One of them is man's curiosity getting him into trouble.l

Comedy is tragedy plus time.

Sure, you could make a carton about Jonas Salk inventing the polio vaccine, but that wouldn't be very Saturday Morning Cartoonish would it? 

The evil scientist is either defeated by his own device, or thwarted by the good guys. 
:)

Written By: alanbarnes on 02/26/10 at 10:26 am

Some 70's Cartoon originals that I didn't see included here are:
The Groovy Ghoulies
Hair Bears
Hong Kong Fooey
Grape Ape
Fat Albert & The Cosby Kids - one of the best ever
Mission Magic (Rick Springfield's Cartoon)
The Harlem Globetrotters

Also live action shows like:
HR Puffenstuff
Banana Spliits
Land Of The Lost
Lidsville
Harlem Globetrotters Popcorn Machine
Hudson Brothers Variety Show
Kaptain Kool & The Kongs (Michael Lembeck's first gig)

Written By: topforty on 02/28/10 at 12:10 pm

I can't believe nobody has mentioned "Archie and Friends".  It was kind of a cartoon version of 90210. lol  Would Archie date Veronica or Betty?  What is Reggie's next scheme?  Would Big Ethel ever catch Jughead?  Then of course everybody gathered at Pop's Choklit Shoppe.  Loved all that "drama" as a kid and especially loved at the end of the show they would sing a song. 

Then there was the "Archie" spinoff, "Sabrina the Teenage Witch". 

But I was also a big fan of the ones mentioned here already like Scooby Doo, The Pink Panther, The Jetsons, Bugs Bunny and Friends and Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/04/10 at 11:35 pm

I can't believe nobody has mentioned "Archie and Friends".  It was kind of a cartoon version of 90210. lol  Would Archie date Veronica or Betty?  What is Reggie's next scheme?  Would Big Ethel ever catch Jughead?  Then of course everybody gathered at Pop's Choklit Shoppe.  Loved all that "drama" as a kid and especially loved at the end of the show they would sing a song. 

Sure, I remember The Archies.  I had the comic books too!
:)

Written By: alanbarnes on 03/19/10 at 12:08 pm

Just as a folllow up, I was so inspired by this thread and all the great memories of cartoons that we featured Josie & The Pussyacats in our Boobtube Backtrack segment on last weekend's show.  If you like 70's music and pop culture in general you all should tune in. We also stream live on the internet every other Sunday from 5-10pm.  The link to our Facebook group is in my profile, I think, and if you join you can get the exact show schedule.
We also upload a free podcast to our entire show, every other week, here
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=c73c7f6ed6016fa890a82c7bb0fad7ad2ac6a2c493f7c32bb878de785cc0f59e

6 Hours of crysltal clear 70's bliss!
Thanks all - I am really enjoying this forum!
Alan

Written By: Animation Nut on 03/19/10 at 12:18 pm

"Josie & The Pussycats" is one of the very few  Sat AM cartoon from the '70's I can tolerate  8) :-*

Though more of the artwork from the original comic books from Dan DeCarlo from the 1960's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH_bNu6RudU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhIG_tSfk1s
featuring "Lie, Lie, Lie" edited into the chase scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp2dU5N2SGA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRKHVmpZbvU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrJsm0Qd0sA

Written By: AH3RD on 04/02/10 at 10:02 pm

I thought you'd never ask!  8)

The New Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXW2zq1hkeU

The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7qmik_1976-silent-scooby-doo-dynomutt-hou_shortfilms

Harlem Globetrotters (1970 animated series)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCPo-jL4FAo

The All-New SuperFriends Hour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igaxeldCA6s

The New Adventures Of Batman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toSqtyuqZ3k

Written By: Tim Sunday on 04/15/10 at 1:28 pm

The crying shame was what they did to Tom & Jerry in the 1960s.  No more anvils over the head, no more dynamite up the arse.  They were friends who did stuff together.  You remember the not funny ones.  The animation was cheap and miserable too.  Nothing like the magic of the 1940s. 

I think you mean the Tom & Jerry Show from the 70s. In the 60s the T & J cartoons were produced by Chuck Jones, of Warner Bros fame. In those Tom and Jerry are still antagonizing each other. I just got the Tom & Jerry Chuck Jones Collection for Christmas because they were always my favorites. One of the best is when Jerry is doing things to Tom while he's taking a nap -- this psychological warfare has Tom convinced he's trying to kill himself in his sleep!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/19/10 at 12:45 am

I think you mean the Tom & Jerry Show from the 70s. In the 60s the T & J cartoons were produced by Chuck Jones, of Warner Bros fame. In those Tom and Jerry are still antagonizing each other. I just got the Tom & Jerry Chuck Jones Collection for Christmas because they were always my favorites. One of the best is when Jerry is doing things to Tom while he's taking a nap -- this psychological warfare has Tom convinced he's trying to kill himself in his sleep!

You're right.  The Chuck Jones animation was inferior to the classic '40s & '50s "Tom & Jerry" era, but it was still true to the premise.  Whoever got the copyright to use a mouse called Jerry and a cat called Tom and call the show "Tom and Jerry" after Chuck Jones had a show called "Tom & Jerry," but that's where the similarities end.
:(

Written By: Mr Bump on 05/17/10 at 1:17 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdYKYF2RG0Q

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3593/3582529861_32fb9e6ebf.jpghttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2580/3933627039_735ce245a7.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K98PWUuIoo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TwKHhZ6PJY

Written By: Hud on 08/31/10 at 11:47 am

Guess I'm the only one to list The Pink Panther as a fav on Sat morns. After school on weekdays, all the older Looney Tunes, Popeye and Flintstone 'toons were fun.

Written By: Mr. Bump on 08/31/10 at 12:28 pm

Pink Panther rules!  8)

Though started in the intro from the "Pink Panther" film and was given a series after it's popularity. The debut "The Pink Phink" won an Oscar.  8) The cartoons lasted 'til the 1970's though ran out of steam by around 1975.

Co-created by Termite Terrace alumni Friz Freleng.

Theme song of the tv package and the Oscar winning cartoon of 1964.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSapOlzAKPI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFv_E7FC4K4

Written By: wildcard on 08/31/10 at 8:05 pm

I remember one where the Pink Panther was trying to make a kite.  One of the times when he finally had one made, a dog jumped through it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/02/10 at 3:17 am

In the 1970s they were content to rerun stock from earlier decades on UHF.  Cheaper that way.  You saw a lot of this kind of thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXfWd2Woev4

Check for new replies or respond here...