inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hair Oil?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 02/13/10 at 4:26 pm

I've seen movies either set in the 30s/40s/50s/60s wh--and even some movies in the 70s--where men either use ''hair oil'' or it is referrenced. What exactly was hair oil? In the movies it doesn't look like Brylcreem or any kind of cream or goo or gel, it simply looks like pure liquid but it made their hair look very shiny and easy to slick back. What was used for ''hair oil'', like what particular oil or idk mineral was used--Were there any particular brands? Are there any commercial brands of hair oil still available which make the hair shiny and slick?

Subject: Re: Hair Oil?

Written By: robby76 on 02/13/10 at 7:40 pm

My Dad used to use hair oil. There were always bottles of it that (as you'd expect) had a clear dark yellow oil. Not sure of brand names but he had them throughout the 70s and 80s.

Written By: karen on 02/13/10 at 8:14 pm

My father-in-law used this right into the 2000's.  I think he used Silvikrin brand

Written By: robby76 on 02/13/10 at 8:43 pm

It's come to me!  :)

My Dad used Vitalis! Turns out it's branded as a hair tonic.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410H674FPGL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

And here's a retro ad for it...

http://www.galionclassof64.com/retrolife/RETROLIFE_files/RetroVitalis_65.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/14/10 at 8:28 am

My step-father used it but I don't know what brand.

Cat

Written By: karen on 02/16/10 at 8:27 pm

Just googling "hair oil" will find plenty of references to it

Written By: whistledog on 02/16/10 at 8:43 pm

I knew a guy who used so much oil in his hair, that on a real hot day, you could fry an egg on his head :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/16/10 at 11:09 pm

I always associate hair oil with '70s mobsters!

Yo! Vinnie!
:-X

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/18/10 at 7:57 am

I always associate hair oil with '70s mobsters!

Yo! Vinnie!
:-X

Not mobsters to me-I think of punks. That is where the term "greaser" came from-from all the oil in their hair.

Cat

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/25/10 at 11:31 pm

IS that something like what George Clooney kept spreading in his hair in "O Brother Where Art Thou?"  Or was that a pomade?

Either way, my dad uses hair grease.

http://www.probeauty-supply.com/images/medium/Hair_Grease_Dax-100-Pure-Lanolin_MED.jpg

Been seeing that little jar since I was born.

But the hair oil always seemed like it would run right off the wearers' head.

Written By: alanbarnes on 02/26/10 at 9:23 am

I made the mistake of trying to go "Fonzie" in 1977 for 50's day in the 6th grade and used Vaseline as my weopon of choice.  Took about a dozen washes with scalding hot water and Dawn to even make a dent in removing it.  Not good.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/28/10 at 12:16 pm

Dang, that vaseline thing was wild. I made the mistake of using it on my bangs when I flatironed them.  :( Not good and i no longer wear my bangs now.

Check for new replies or respond here...