inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: So what ended disco?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/18/10 at 6:33 pm

What is it punk music, the emergence  of New Wave, or some thing all together?

???

Subject: Re: So what ended disco?

Written By: gibbo on 04/18/10 at 6:51 pm

What is it punk music, the emergence  of New Wave, or some thing all together?

???

I think it was pure saturation. Disco dominated to point that little else was played on radio. It also had nowhere to go as far as evolution. It was what it was ....and had to be replaced eventually by something completely new or a return to older styles of music.

Basically...we all got really sick and tired of listening to that same old beat!!!

Written By: Davester on 04/18/10 at 8:30 pm

Grunge ended disco...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/18/10 at 9:18 pm

KISS and Rod Stewart's awkward attempts at disco, definitely sounded the death nail for Disco.

Plus the closing of Studio 54, and this event...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpQfCcsqQ0E

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/19/10 at 12:41 am

DISCO NEVER ENDED.

The only things that ended was the word "disco" and some of the sub-styles in the music.  The '70s "disco" look ala Saturday Night Fever was also short-lived.  However, I say again, disco will never end because people like to dance and have a good time. 

What also ended was the mixing of disco beats into other genres, such as country, hard rock, and jazz, which is one of the things disco-haters rightfully despised.

Written By: Davester on 04/19/10 at 1:18 am

KISS and Rod Stewart's awkward attempts at disco, definitely sounded the death nail for Disco.

I've always liked Dynasty.  Definately pissed-off KISS fans, though...

HAHAH!  Rod Stewart..."If you want my body, and you think I'm sexy..." ::)

You guys over-analyze this stuff.  Pop music changes because the fickle audience changes, and the audience changes because of this and that.  Like Max said, "disco" never died, but the lifestyle associated with that particular brand at that particular time and in that particular place became unpopular.  I think because the target audience, people in their twenties and thirties, were settling down and having families, getting divorces and/or not paying their child support.  It's the same folks who formed the PMRC after they got older and more "respectable"...phooey...

Just shut-up, throw on a CD, sit back and relax.  Don't ask why, just enjoy the music...

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/19/10 at 12:00 pm

DISCO NEVER ENDED.

Well said as it really just went underground and spawned new genres; the first of witch, Italo Disco became important in various European countries during the early '80s, then in 1983, Hi-NRG dance music was a shorter form of disco which emerged with hits from stuff like Flashdance along with some of the Pointer Sisters hits at the time; the next division came with the Freestyle and House movement in which remixes experienced a renewal in popularity. Then came '90s Techno and Eurodance, followed by Electronica and Trance, and the present clubbing scene basically remixes certain hits with an electronic sound, and what was the source for all that?

DISCO.

Written By: gibbo on 04/19/10 at 6:23 pm

It ended each night when the DJ switched off the turntable and put his records away!  :P

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/19/10 at 9:09 pm

The backlash had been going on for some months, but July 12, 1979, when Steve Dahl organized Disco Demolition Night as part of a radio promo, is the canonically-accepted date for the death of Disco.

Written By: whistledog on 04/19/10 at 9:34 pm

Ur mom ;D

As Max noted, Disco never really died.  It just evolved.  Even after disco Demolition Night in 1979, it didn't die.  In 1980, Diana Ross went upside down and hit #1 and the S.O.S. took their time and did it right.  In 1983, KC gave it up and rocked the dancefloors and even in the 90s, a group from Manchester called N-Trance brought back Bee Gees Stayin' Alive.

The 2008 song 'Poker Face' by Lady Gaga contained a sample of 'Ma Baker' by Boney M, and it reached #1 around the world.  When today's artists are looking to the disco era for inspiration, it can't possibly have died.

Written By: Paul on 04/20/10 at 6:55 am

The 2008 song 'Poker Face' by Lady Gaga contained a sample of 'Ma Baker' by Boney M, and it reached #1 around the world.  When today's artists are looking to the disco era for inspiration, it can't possibly have died.

Well I never! Boney M have suddenly been catapulted into the epitome of 'cool', have they?  :o

There was a time (not too long ago, I might add) when admitting to liking (or worse still, owning) a Boney M record was socially akin to having leprosy...

I suppose in time we'll have the re-emergence of Gary Glitter...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/20/10 at 1:54 pm

Well I never! Boney M have suddenly been catapulted into the epitome of 'cool', have they?  :o

There was a time (not too long ago, I might add) when admitting to liking (or worse still, owning) a Boney M record was socially akin to having leprosy...

I suppose in time we'll have the re-emergence of Gary Glitter...

Given the events, surrounding Mr. Glitter, that's not gonna happen away time soon.

Written By: whistledog on 04/20/10 at 2:51 pm

Given the events, surrounding Mr. Glitter, that's not gonna happen away time soon.

You never know.  He could start a vocal group with Jonathan King and Pete Townshend.  Their first hit could be a cover of Cliff Richard's 'The Young Ones' ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/20/10 at 3:18 pm

You never know.  He could start a vocal group with Jonathan King and Pete Townshend.  Their first hit could be a cover of Cliff Richard's 'The Young Ones' ;D

Whistledog.....

::)

Written By: Paul on 04/20/10 at 3:24 pm

With a rendition of Billy J. Kramer's 'Little Children' as a follow-up...

(Okay, that's enough!)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/21/10 at 8:26 pm

The backlash had been going on for some months, but July 12, 1979, when Steve Dahl organized Disco Demolition Night as part of a radio promo, is the canonically-accepted date for the death of Disco.

Those guys were a bunch of losers.  You* don't like disco?  Don't listen to it!  What, did Donna Summer come over to your house and break all your Skynyrd records? 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/headbang.gif

*I don't mean "you" personally.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/23/10 at 1:16 am

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/headbang.gif

Hey, the Doctor doesn't do disco.

(Pay no attention to Rip Tide, who may or may not know of at least 17 remixes of Amii Stewart's Knock on Wood, plus Eddie Floyd's original, David Bowie's cover, Rachel Stevens' 2004 cover, or, as proof positive of his shame, the Mary Griffin cover for the movie Studio 54...)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/23/10 at 11:56 pm

Hey, the Doctor doesn't do disco.

Yeah, probably Dr. Hook in your case!
:D

Written By: gpxo on 01/26/14 at 11:24 am

As i recall, what ended disco or quickly finished it was the demonstration in between a double header at a Chicago White Sox baseball game(late Summer 1979) in which people who attended the game was to bring disco records to the ball park and placed in a large jukebox. In between games the jukebox was placed in centerfield and ceremoniously blown to smithereens among a chorus of "Death to Disco" cheers-the demonstration was broadcast on live TV and caused the cancellation of the second game much to the anger of the announcers who were to broadcast the game.

Written By: Howard on 01/26/14 at 3:19 pm

As i recall, what ended disco or quickly finished it was the demonstration in between a double header at a Chicago White Sox baseball game(late Summer 1979) in which people who attended the game was to bring disco records to the ball park and placed in a large jukebox. In between games the jukebox was placed in centerfield and ceremoniously blown to smithereens among a chorus of "Death to Disco" cheers-the demonstration was broadcast on live TV and caused the cancellation of the second game much to the anger of the announcers who were to broadcast the game.

Was there any way that could've been prevented from happening? ???

Written By: whistledog on 01/26/14 at 4:52 pm

Disco didn't die at that point.  It still hung on for a few years.  Diana Ross had a #1 hit in 1980 with Upside Down and the Stars on 45 did the same in 1981 with Medley I.

Disco eventually transitioned into Hi-NRG

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/26/14 at 5:02 pm

Disco didn't die at that point.  It still hung on for a few years.

True - but "Disco" became a "bad word" around the end of 1980 or so  ;D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/26/14 at 7:22 pm

I like Rod Stewart's song...I didn't realize it was disco though.

Written By: gibbo on 01/27/14 at 1:27 am

Disco was hugely popular. Even the Stones had to change their style for at least one record to get airplay.  Basically, there was not enough diverse music being played by radio (and therefore, in the clubs/discos). The world reached an over- saturation point and needed to hear something else!

Written By: Howard on 01/27/14 at 6:27 am

Disco didn't die at that point.  It still hung on for a few years.  Diana Ross had a #1 hit in 1980 with Upside Down and the Stars on 45 did the same in 1981 with Medley I.

Disco eventually transitioned into Hi-NRG

It also became more of a funky-electronic sound to it.

Written By: Howard on 01/27/14 at 6:28 am

I like Rod Stewart's song...I didn't realize it was disco though.

"If You Think I'm Sexy".

Written By: Howard on 04/17/20 at 7:04 am

I know this is a weird question but what if The corona-virus had started In the 1970's disco era, would there have been a Studio 54 and would this virus have ended social distancing in the 1970's?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/17/20 at 2:39 pm

I know this is a weird question but what if The corona-virus had started In the 1970's disco era, would there have been a Studio 54 and would this virus have ended social distancing in the 1970's?

Most likely coronavirus would've shut down a Studio 54 and anyplace similar to it.  There was no "social distancing" in the late 70's, though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/17/20 at 2:41 pm

Most likely coronavirus would've shut down a Studio 54 and anyplace similar to it.  There was no "social distancing" in the late 70's, though.
It would have shut down many an established, and think back then, my life would now been totally different

Written By: Howard on 04/18/20 at 3:05 pm

I've seen pictures of Studio 54 and people being crammed into one building just dancing their cares away but just imagine the Governor of New York telling people about "social distancing", that would've made people angry at that time.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/18/20 at 4:16 pm

I've seen pictures of Studio 54 and people being crammed into one building just dancing their cares away but just imagine the Governor of New York telling people about "social distancing", that would've made people angry at that time.

Interesting science fiction, alternate scenario, speculation type question, Howard.

If this had happened during the disco era, let's say 1978 which was the height, it would have been the same as now, Studio 54 wise. If nightclubs as public places were shut down due to the virus then they were shut down. Case closed. Who cares about angry people? Oh, you'd have your handful of morons, just as you have now, such as those airheads out partying in Florida during "spring break", but by and large people would have stayed home, just like now. What you WOULDN'T have, is the technology we have now with people broadcasting TV shows from home and everybody being connected by Zoom and people working from home. And virtual nightclubs and virtual parties. It didn't exist. TV would have been nothing but a wasteland of news and old re-runs. No new programming. Communication would have been by landline telephone only. No internet.

The pandemic likely would have killed disco right then and there (fine with me) with people unable to go to clubs and dance. And with people being unable to create new disco music. Keep in mind in those days one had to go to a professional recording studio with professional musicians who were actually human beings, not computer generated sounds. These studios were very confined spaces. So the hits (only played on radio in those days, again, no internet) would have stopped coming. By the time it all wound down people may have been hesitant to flood right back into these nightclubs, which were hotbeds of germs even WITHOUT a pandemic, and many would have closed. And the songwriters and musicians, AND the public's taste, would have moved on to something else. Oh, you would have had your diehard, crass commercial people trying to squeeze every last buck out of disco by making some new disco songs, but they likely would have fizzled. Disco being a trend, a fad, and to a large degree a manufactured fad, was entirely dependent on the whims of the public. And there's nothing like a good pandemic to change the public's whims. Bye, bye disco.

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/18/20 at 4:29 pm

One thing about back then is news and information would not have spread as fast either. The medical technology was nowhere near what it is now either. It would have taken a long time to realize why all these people are dying. And what to do about it.

Probably the closest parallel was aids in the early 80s. Discovery and action didn’t happen in weeks. More like years.

Written By: Howard on 04/19/20 at 4:11 am

Interesting science fiction, alternate scenario, speculation type question, Howard.

If this had happened during the disco era, let's say 1978 which was the height, it would have been the same as now, Studio 54 wise. If nightclubs as public places were shut down due to the virus then they were shut down. Case closed. Who cares about angry people? Oh, you'd have your handful of morons, just as you have now, such as those airheads out partying in Florida during "spring break", but by and large people would have stayed home, just like now. What you WOULDN'T have, is the technology we have now with people broadcasting TV shows from home and everybody being connected by Zoom and people working from home. And virtual nightclubs and virtual parties. It didn't exist. TV would have been nothing but a wasteland of news and old re-runs. No new programming. Communication would have been by landline telephone only. No internet.

The pandemic likely would have killed disco right then and there (fine with me) with people unable to go to clubs and dance. And with people being unable to create new disco music. Keep in mind in those days one had to go to a professional recording studio with professional musicians who were actually human beings, not computer generated sounds. These studios were very confined spaces. So the hits (only played on radio in those days, again, no internet) would have stopped coming. By the time it all wound down people may have been hesitant to flood right back into these nightclubs, which were hotbeds of germs even WITHOUT a pandemic, and many would have closed. And the songwriters and musicians, AND the public's taste, would have moved on to something else. Oh, you would have had your diehard, crass commercial people trying to squeeze every last buck out of disco by making some new disco songs, but they likely would have fizzled. Disco being a trend, a fad, and to a large degree a manufactured fad, was entirely dependent on the whims of the public. And there's nothing like a good pandemic to change the public's whims. Bye, bye disco.

Thank You so much for your input, It's appreciated. :)

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/20/20 at 1:16 pm

I couldn't imagine such an extended lockdown with late 1970s technology, with most people at the time not having a computer, VCR, or cable TV let alone the Internet and smarphones. There would be a much more brutal outbreak of social unrest with rioting, murders, and the possibility of World War III. This would allow people to just understand to "deal with it, but understand that you're at the mercy of the Lord and others". Radio stations would become virtually all oldie formats overnight, although you may hear more of the deep album and b-side tracks as filler programming. There was a writers strike in 1980, which lead to a few extra months of reruns in the fall of that year anyways for certain shows. Sure, I'd still see the ban on large gatherings, but I'd still wager that the lockdown for higher priority businesses and functions like studio production for TV/music/film, barbers, and . Another important thing that could have suffered was the video game industry, then in its infancy. The video game industry would have still been fine, since social distancing (i.e. avoiding enemies and ammo) is a primary characteristic of that then-burgeoning industry. And most importantly, schools would still have to operate as usual since there wasn't any online learning, especially since relatively few children have been infected. Custodian jobs would soar to ensure the safety of educational facilities. Of course, this is just my fantasy history.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/20/20 at 2:15 pm

I couldn't imagine such an extended lockdown with late 1970s technology, with most people at the time not having a computer, VCR, or cable TV let alone the Internet and smarphones. There would be a much more brutal outbreak of social unrest with rioting, murders, and the possibility of World War III. This would allow people to just understand to "deal with it, but understand that you're at the mercy of the Lord and others".

I see where you're coming from, but this is a vast overstatement. There would have been no WW3. Keep in mind, people were used to not having computer, VCR, internet, etc, since they basically didn't exist in the mainstream back then. So we had other ways of dealing with things, it's not like people were sitting around bored all the time. We would have found a way to persevere. Letter writing for one,  now a lost art, would have flourished, as long as the mail was still in operation. And it wasn't the Middle Ages for heaven's sake. People weren't sitting around thinking "we're at the mercy of the Lord". In fact in the liberated 70s, Evangelicals, when they managed to be heard at all, were soundly pooh-poohed by the mainstream with their end-times, fire and brimstone bluster. It was not until the 80s and the Reagan era that they became the power that they are now. The crime aspect of it is interesting though. I'm even worried about that NOW. I'm surprised there hasn't been more looting and such. Maybe the would-be criminals are afraid of getting the virus.

Written By: Howard on 04/21/20 at 7:19 am

I see where you're coming from, but this is a vast overstatement. There would have been no WW3. Keep in mind, people were used to not having computer, VCR, internet, etc, since they basically didn't exist in the mainstream back then. So we had other ways of dealing with things, it's not like people were sitting around bored all the time. We would have found a way to persevere. Letter writing for one,  now a lost art, would have flourished, as long as the mail was still in operation. And it wasn't the Middle Ages for heaven's sake. People weren't sitting around thinking "we're at the mercy of the Lord". In fact in the liberated 70s, Evangelicals, when they managed to be heard at all, were soundly pooh-poohed by the mainstream with their end-times, fire and brimstone bluster. It was not until the 80s and the Reagan era that they became the power that they are now. The crime aspect of it is interesting though. I'm even worried about that NOW. I'm surprised there hasn't been more looting and such. Maybe the would-be criminals are afraid of getting the virus.

What would you have done if there was a "stay at home" lockdown back then, just thank god now in 2020 we have al this technology at your hands cause back then 1979 we would've been playing board games, read books, maybe watch TV or listen to the radio all day.

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/21/20 at 9:51 am

What would you have done if there was a "stay at home" lockdown back then, just thank god now in 2020 we have al this technology at your hands cause back then 1979 we would've been playing board games, read books, maybe watch TV or listen to the radio all day.

Substitute this with 80s but back then I would have barely knew anything was going on. We almost never got any visitors anyway. Or went anywhere besides work and to the store. My dad worked for one on my company’s competitors and my mom worked restaurants both of which would have been essential.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/21/20 at 10:17 am

Virtual disco dancing on Zoom?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/21/20 at 11:50 am

just thank god now in 2020 we have al this technology at your hands cause back then 1979 we would've been playing board games, read books, maybe watch TV or listen to the radio all day.

Does any of that sound bad?

Written By: Howard on 04/21/20 at 2:11 pm

Virtual disco dancing on Zoom?

Or have a disco party in your own home along with the strobe lights.

Written By: Howard on 04/21/20 at 2:12 pm

Does any of that sound bad?

It's enough to keep you satisfied and occupied for a couple of days.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/21/20 at 2:20 pm

Or have a disco party in your own home along with the strobe lights.
Can the strobe lights be expensive?

Written By: Howard on 04/21/20 at 2:50 pm

Can the strobe lights be expensive?

I'm pretty sure they were back then.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/21/20 at 3:02 pm

I'm pretty sure they were back then.
Could you make your own?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/21/20 at 3:18 pm

LOL - a lot of it would depend on individual circumstances.  As a teen living in rural Michigan in the 70's, it wasn't unusual to spend a week or more staying only at home.  There was no "woe is me we don't have smartphones" because they didn't exist.  Since we lived in a large farmhouse we weren't on top of each other (when we didn't want to be), plus we had lots of outdoor space to enjoy - and when we had animals they provided their own entertainment.  But when we were inside we did all of what you mentioned - listened to radio (or even better, records), watched TV, read books and magazines (for me, more of the latter), played board games (a frequent after dinner activity) and besides that we'd sometimes have ourselves little "jam sessions" in the dining room or play games like air hockey, or just goof around being kids.  At night we'd look at the stars, because we could see them there - so beautiful.  And as I mentioned before, I was crafty - I was usually in the middle of a sewing or crocheting project, often both - and I enjoyed it.  Plus frequently I'd look over my grandmother's shoulder as she was baking something delicious for us.  Not to mention that during the summer we were compelled (or occasionally volunteered) to pick something from our land - vegetables, fruits, potatoes, sometimes even something as simple as mint - so we could turn our harvest into food.

A simple but good life  :)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/21/20 at 3:44 pm

LOL - a lot of it would depend on individual circumstances.  As a teen living in rural Michigan in the 70's, it wasn't unusual to spend a week or more staying only at home.  There was no "woe is me we don't have smartphones" because they didn't exist.  Since we lived in a large farmhouse we weren't on top of each other (when we didn't want to be), plus we had lots of outdoor space to enjoy - and when we had animals they provided their own entertainment.  But when we were inside we did all of what you mentioned - listened to radio (or even better, records), watched TV, read books and magazines (for me, more of the latter), played board games (a frequent after dinner activity) and besides that we'd sometimes have ourselves little "jam sessions" in the dining room or play games like air hockey, or just goof around being kids.  At night we'd look at the stars, because we could see them there - so beautiful.  And as I mentioned before, I was crafty - I was usually in the middle of a sewing or crocheting project, often both - and I enjoyed it.  Plus frequently I'd look over my grandmother's shoulder as she was baking something delicious for us.  Not to mention that during the summer we were compelled (or occasionally volunteered) to pick something from our land - vegetables, fruits, potatoes, sometimes even something as simple as mint - so we could turn our harvest into food.

Yes, we LIVED for magazines back then, especially those of us that were music fans. There was Rolling Stone (the king of them all back then), Circus, Crawdaddy, Creem and the lesser remembered Rock and Zoo World which were like mini versions of Rolling Stone when it had the folded over newspaper format. I actually preferred those latter two over some others. And like Rolling Stone I believe they came out twice a month at the time. Of course the news was already outdated by the time we got it, but it was all we had and we loved it. They provided far more information about our favorite rock musicians that radio ever did. And they seldom, if ever appeared on TV (especially the more "outsider" or less commercial types) save for the occasional appearance on "In Concert" or "Midnight Special".  The 70s also had an abundance of "psychic phenomenon", UFO and dare I say "occult" oriented magazines. This was a phenomenon that hung over the entire 70s and these magazines could be found at newsstands, department stores and supermarkets everywhere.  I enjoyed many of those magazines too. They were not well researched and seldom cited sources, so they weren't the most authoritative things in the world, but they gave a feeling that there were other levels of things than what met the eye and I liked this feeling.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/21/20 at 3:47 pm

Yes, we LIVED for magazines back then, especially those of us that were music fans. There was Rolling Stone (the king of them all back then), Circus, Crawdaddy, Creem and the lesser remembered Rock and Zoo World which were like mini versions of Rolling Stone when it had the folded over newspaper format. I actually preferred those latter two over some others. And like Rolling Stone I believe they came out twice a month at the time. Of course the news was already outdated by the time we got it, but it was all we had and we loved it. They provided far more information about our favorite rock musicians that radio ever did. And they seldom, if ever appeared on TV (especially the more "outsider" or less commercial types) save for the occasional appearance on "In Concert" or "Midnight Special".  The 70s also had an abundance of "psychic phenomenon", UFO and dare I say "occult" oriented magazines. This was a phenomenon that hung over the entire 70s and these magazines could be found at newsstands, department stores and supermarkets everywhere.  I enjoyed many of those magazines too. They were not well researched and seldom cited sources, so they weren't the most authoritative things in the world, but they gave a feeling that there were other levels of things than what met the eye and I liked this feeling.
In one sense, if this has not been mention yet, magazines back than were the World Wide Web of today, all you needed to know, especially celebs etc.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/21/20 at 4:03 pm

In one sense, if this has not been mention yet, magazines back than were the World Wide Web of today, all you needed to know, especially celebs etc.

Indeed - I'd often spend a sizeable chunk of my small pittance allowance for my favorite magazines - and get days and days of enjoyment out of them.

"Occult"-wise, I recall this was quite popular but I didn't give it much credence - except (for me) I got into Astrology, which seemed pretty popular during the 70's.  I remember buying Astrology books and magazines.  (Incidentally as I took a "real" job in 1980, one of my coworkers at the time had a degree in Astrology from a California university - I think seriously I soured on it after that.)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/21/20 at 4:04 pm

News too. Time and Newsweek were de rigeur back then for in-depth news analysis. US News and World Report also. And Life Magazine (and the lesser remembered Look) for their brilliant photography and photo essays.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/21/20 at 4:15 pm

News too. Time and Newsweek were de rigeur back then for in-depth news analysis. US News and World Report also. And Life Magazine (and the lesser remembered Look) for their brilliant photography and photo essays.
Thanks, I was going to say media, but left it out, and there was the magazines ti cater for the different age ranges.

Written By: Howard on 04/22/20 at 4:05 am

Could you make your own?

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Strobe-Light-at-Home/

Written By: Howard on 04/22/20 at 4:08 am

Didn't you also play with your Atari too?

Written By: Howard on 04/22/20 at 4:11 am

That's basically all you had back then were magazines and newspapers.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/22/20 at 4:13 am

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Strobe-Light-at-Home/
Best to wear shades when dancing?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/22/20 at 8:01 am

Didn't you also play with your Atari too?

If Atari was around in the early to mid 70s, we were oblivious to it.  So, no.  Perhaps there were some well-to-do people who had one; we were not in that number.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/22/20 at 4:32 pm

I can tell you something that WOULDN'T have happened if the pandemic had happened in the 70s, and that is the massive extreme politicization of it that is going on now. Oh there would have been SOME, of course. It's unavoidable. Nixon WAS president, after all...but these extremist partisan politics that go on now from all sides are unprecedented. It's a crying shame.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/22/20 at 4:35 pm

I can tell you something that WOULDN'T have happened if the pandemic had happened in the 70s, and that is the massive extreme politicization of it that is going on now. Oh there would have been SOME, of course. It's unavoidable. Nixon WAS president, after all...but these extremist partisan politics that go on now from all sides are unprecedented. It's a crying shame.
...at President Richard Nixon would have it all recorded on tape?  ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/23/20 at 7:11 am

If Atari was around in the early to mid 70s, we were oblivious to it.  So, no.  Perhaps there were some well-to-do people who had one; we were not in that number.

What consoles did you own during The 70's?

Written By: Howard on 04/24/20 at 7:08 am

I always thought that it was The Disco Demolition Night that ended disco, is that true?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/24/20 at 8:53 am

I always thought that it was The Disco Demolition Night that ended disco, is that true?  ???
What happened that night?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/24/20 at 9:08 am

Not at all - Disco remained quite alive for awhile.  But it did highlight to everyone that many folks were unhappy about Disco and its influence on the world of pop culture then - a very unique phenomenon for the time.  Plus it was all over the news.

What happened that night?

In Chicago, a popular disc jockey named Steve Dahl, after getting fired from a radio station that switched its format to all Disco, organized "Disco Demolition" as a protest.  He asked participants to gather Disco records and bring them to the baseball White Sox' Comiskey field to stage the protest between games of a scheduled double header in July '79.  Once the first game completed, Dahl collected the Disco records brought, put them in bins and exploded them with fireworks in the middle of the baseball field with much fanfare.  After he exploded the records, the fans that participated stormed the baseball field and more or less rioted (although not in a way to injure many people).  They destroyed the baseball field in the process, and the White Sox had to forfeit game 2 of the double header.  This of course became a huge national news item.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/24/20 at 9:19 am

In Chicago, a popular disc jockey named Steve Dahl, after getting fired from a radio station that switched its format to all Disco, organized "Disco Demolition" as a protest.  He asked participants to gather Disco records and bring them to the baseball White Sox' Comiskey field to stage the protest between games of a scheduled double header in July '79.  Once the first game completed, Dahl collected the Disco records brought, put them in bins and exploded them with fireworks in the middle of the baseball field with much fanfare.  After he exploded the records, the fans that participated stormed the baseball field and more or less rioted (although not in a way to injure many people).  They destroyed the baseball field in the process, and the White Sox had to forfeit game 2 of the double header.  This of course became a huge national news item.
Thank you, similar to the reaction after John Lennon said those infamous words?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/24/20 at 9:34 am

The so-called "Disco Demolition Night" did not "end disco". Saying that is like the lazy writers loking for a quick answer who always say the Rolling Stones Altamont concert "ended the 60s". Nothing could be further from the truth. Do you really think things are that cut and dried? The Disco Demolition thing was a RADIO PROMOTION that took place during a baseball game in Chicago for heaven's sake. The only reason it is remembered at all is because some of the baseball fans swarmed the field and more or less rioted. And that may even be because the explosion of blowing up the records caused extensive damage to the field, causing the second game of the double header between the Chicago White Sox and the Detroit Tigers to be cancelled, causing the White Sox to forfeit the game. So really, it didn't have all that much to do with disco at all.  Given that it took place in the Summer of 1979, disco was already on the decline and was pretty much over by 1980.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/24/20 at 9:37 am

Thank you, similar to the reaction after John Lennon said those infamous words?

Not even CLOSE. Lennon was an important person who said something of cultural significance whether one agreed with it or not. "Disco Demolition" was a silly radio publicity stunt.

Written By: Howard on 04/24/20 at 2:40 pm

Not at all - Disco remained quite alive for awhile.  But it did highlight to everyone that many folks were unhappy about Disco and its influence on the world of pop culture then - a very unique phenomenon for the time.  Plus it was all over the news.

I wonder 40 years ago that if Steve Dahl had a change of mind and enjoyed disco maybe that incident would've never had happened.

Written By: Howard on 04/24/20 at 2:42 pm

The so-called "Disco Demolition Night" did not "end disco". Saying that is like the lazy writers loking for a quick answer who always say the Rolling Stones Altamont concert "ended the 60s". Nothing could be further from the truth. Do you really think things are that cut and dried? The Disco Demolition thing was a RADIO PROMOTION that took place during a baseball game in Chicago for heaven's sake. The only reason it is remembered at all is because some of the baseball fans swarmed the field and more or less rioted. And that may even be because the explosion of blowing up the records caused extensive damage to the field, causing the second game of the double header between the Chicago White Sox and the Detroit Tigers to be cancelled, causing the White Sox to forfeit the game. So really, it didn't have all that much to do with disco at all.  Given that it took place in the Summer of 1979, disco was already on the decline and was pretty much over by 1980.

I think in 1980 it started the elctro-funk/disco sound.

Written By: Howard on 04/24/20 at 2:45 pm

Not even CLOSE. Lennon was an important person who said something of cultural significance whether one agreed with it or not. "Disco Demolition" was a silly radio publicity stunt.

That should've never had happened in my opinion, stunts like that were stupid and why would anyone hate the disco sound? I love disco and funk but I'm not going to start a protest saying that I detest it.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/24/20 at 4:10 pm

That should've never had happened in my opinion, stunts like that were stupid and why would anyone hate the disco sound? I love disco and funk but I'm not going to start a protest saying that I detest it.

I don't think it was just the sound of Disco that disturbed so many; it was the way the money people set it up so as to cram Disco down everyone's throats where it became impossible to avoid.  When top-tier rock artists started modifying their sounds to sound Disco-ey because of Disco's dominance, that was perhaps the straw that broke the camel's back.  And Steve Dahl was far from alone in disliking Disco; at the time there were generally two large camps, one that liked Disco and the other that despised Disco, with very few in-between.  I don't remember any other (current) music genre that drew as much scorn as Disco (within the normal consuming age) prior to that; this was a new phenomenon.

Written By: Howard on 04/25/20 at 4:00 am

I don't think it was just the sound of Disco that disturbed so many; it was the way the money people set it up so as to cram Disco down everyone's throats where it became impossible to avoid.  When top-tier rock artists started modifying their sounds to sound Disco-ey because of Disco's dominance, that was perhaps the straw that broke the camel's back.  And Steve Dahl was far from alone in disliking Disco; at the time there were generally two large camps, one that liked Disco and the other that despised Disco, with very few in-between.  I don't remember any other (current) music genre that drew as much scorn as Disco (within the normal consuming age) prior to that; this was a new phenomenon.

If you were a person that wanted to stop Steve Dahl in 1979 from doing what he did would you have done it?

Check for new replies or respond here...