inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: So what ended disco?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/18/10 at 6:33 pm

What is it punk music, the emergence  of New Wave, or some thing all together?

???

Subject: Re: So what ended disco?

Written By: gibbo on 04/18/10 at 6:51 pm

What is it punk music, the emergence  of New Wave, or some thing all together?

???

I think it was pure saturation. Disco dominated to point that little else was played on radio. It also had nowhere to go as far as evolution. It was what it was ....and had to be replaced eventually by something completely new or a return to older styles of music.

Basically...we all got really sick and tired of listening to that same old beat!!!

Written By: Davester on 04/18/10 at 8:30 pm

Grunge ended disco...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/18/10 at 9:18 pm

KISS and Rod Stewart's awkward attempts at disco, definitely sounded the death nail for Disco.

Plus the closing of Studio 54, and this event...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpQfCcsqQ0E

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/19/10 at 12:41 am

DISCO NEVER ENDED.

The only things that ended was the word "disco" and some of the sub-styles in the music.  The '70s "disco" look ala Saturday Night Fever was also short-lived.  However, I say again, disco will never end because people like to dance and have a good time. 

What also ended was the mixing of disco beats into other genres, such as country, hard rock, and jazz, which is one of the things disco-haters rightfully despised.

Written By: Davester on 04/19/10 at 1:18 am

KISS and Rod Stewart's awkward attempts at disco, definitely sounded the death nail for Disco.

I've always liked Dynasty.  Definately pissed-off KISS fans, though...

HAHAH!  Rod Stewart..."If you want my body, and you think I'm sexy..." ::)

You guys over-analyze this stuff.  Pop music changes because the fickle audience changes, and the audience changes because of this and that.  Like Max said, "disco" never died, but the lifestyle associated with that particular brand at that particular time and in that particular place became unpopular.  I think because the target audience, people in their twenties and thirties, were settling down and having families, getting divorces and/or not paying their child support.  It's the same folks who formed the PMRC after they got older and more "respectable"...phooey...

Just shut-up, throw on a CD, sit back and relax.  Don't ask why, just enjoy the music...

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/19/10 at 12:00 pm

DISCO NEVER ENDED.

Well said as it really just went underground and spawned new genres; the first of witch, Italo Disco became important in various European countries during the early '80s, then in 1983, Hi-NRG dance music was a shorter form of disco which emerged with hits from stuff like Flashdance along with some of the Pointer Sisters hits at the time; the next division came with the Freestyle and House movement in which remixes experienced a renewal in popularity. Then came '90s Techno and Eurodance, followed by Electronica and Trance, and the present clubbing scene basically remixes certain hits with an electronic sound, and what was the source for all that?

DISCO.

Written By: gibbo on 04/19/10 at 6:23 pm

It ended each night when the DJ switched off the turntable and put his records away!  :P

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/19/10 at 9:09 pm

The backlash had been going on for some months, but July 12, 1979, when Steve Dahl organized Disco Demolition Night as part of a radio promo, is the canonically-accepted date for the death of Disco.

Written By: whistledog on 04/19/10 at 9:34 pm

Ur mom ;D

As Max noted, Disco never really died.  It just evolved.  Even after disco Demolition Night in 1979, it didn't die.  In 1980, Diana Ross went upside down and hit #1 and the S.O.S. took their time and did it right.  In 1983, KC gave it up and rocked the dancefloors and even in the 90s, a group from Manchester called N-Trance brought back Bee Gees Stayin' Alive.

The 2008 song 'Poker Face' by Lady Gaga contained a sample of 'Ma Baker' by Boney M, and it reached #1 around the world.  When today's artists are looking to the disco era for inspiration, it can't possibly have died.

Written By: Paul on 04/20/10 at 6:55 am

The 2008 song 'Poker Face' by Lady Gaga contained a sample of 'Ma Baker' by Boney M, and it reached #1 around the world.  When today's artists are looking to the disco era for inspiration, it can't possibly have died.

Well I never! Boney M have suddenly been catapulted into the epitome of 'cool', have they?  :o

There was a time (not too long ago, I might add) when admitting to liking (or worse still, owning) a Boney M record was socially akin to having leprosy...

I suppose in time we'll have the re-emergence of Gary Glitter...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/20/10 at 1:54 pm

Well I never! Boney M have suddenly been catapulted into the epitome of 'cool', have they?  :o

There was a time (not too long ago, I might add) when admitting to liking (or worse still, owning) a Boney M record was socially akin to having leprosy...

I suppose in time we'll have the re-emergence of Gary Glitter...

Given the events, surrounding Mr. Glitter, that's not gonna happen away time soon.

Written By: whistledog on 04/20/10 at 2:51 pm

Given the events, surrounding Mr. Glitter, that's not gonna happen away time soon.

You never know.  He could start a vocal group with Jonathan King and Pete Townshend.  Their first hit could be a cover of Cliff Richard's 'The Young Ones' ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/20/10 at 3:18 pm

You never know.  He could start a vocal group with Jonathan King and Pete Townshend.  Their first hit could be a cover of Cliff Richard's 'The Young Ones' ;D

Whistledog.....

::)

Written By: Paul on 04/20/10 at 3:24 pm

With a rendition of Billy J. Kramer's 'Little Children' as a follow-up...

(Okay, that's enough!)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/21/10 at 8:26 pm

The backlash had been going on for some months, but July 12, 1979, when Steve Dahl organized Disco Demolition Night as part of a radio promo, is the canonically-accepted date for the death of Disco.

Those guys were a bunch of losers.  You* don't like disco?  Don't listen to it!  What, did Donna Summer come over to your house and break all your Skynyrd records? 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/headbang.gif

*I don't mean "you" personally.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/23/10 at 1:16 am

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/headbang.gif

Hey, the Doctor doesn't do disco.

(Pay no attention to Rip Tide, who may or may not know of at least 17 remixes of Amii Stewart's Knock on Wood, plus Eddie Floyd's original, David Bowie's cover, Rachel Stevens' 2004 cover, or, as proof positive of his shame, the Mary Griffin cover for the movie Studio 54...)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/23/10 at 11:56 pm

Hey, the Doctor doesn't do disco.

Yeah, probably Dr. Hook in your case!
:D

Written By: gpxo on 01/26/14 at 11:24 am

As i recall, what ended disco or quickly finished it was the demonstration in between a double header at a Chicago White Sox baseball game(late Summer 1979) in which people who attended the game was to bring disco records to the ball park and placed in a large jukebox. In between games the jukebox was placed in centerfield and ceremoniously blown to smithereens among a chorus of "Death to Disco" cheers-the demonstration was broadcast on live TV and caused the cancellation of the second game much to the anger of the announcers who were to broadcast the game.

Written By: Howard on 01/26/14 at 3:19 pm

As i recall, what ended disco or quickly finished it was the demonstration in between a double header at a Chicago White Sox baseball game(late Summer 1979) in which people who attended the game was to bring disco records to the ball park and placed in a large jukebox. In between games the jukebox was placed in centerfield and ceremoniously blown to smithereens among a chorus of "Death to Disco" cheers-the demonstration was broadcast on live TV and caused the cancellation of the second game much to the anger of the announcers who were to broadcast the game.

Was there any way that could've been prevented from happening? ???

Written By: whistledog on 01/26/14 at 4:52 pm

Disco didn't die at that point.  It still hung on for a few years.  Diana Ross had a #1 hit in 1980 with Upside Down and the Stars on 45 did the same in 1981 with Medley I.

Disco eventually transitioned into Hi-NRG

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/26/14 at 5:02 pm

Disco didn't die at that point.  It still hung on for a few years.

True - but "Disco" became a "bad word" around the end of 1980 or so  ;D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/26/14 at 7:22 pm

I like Rod Stewart's song...I didn't realize it was disco though.

Written By: gibbo on 01/27/14 at 1:27 am

Disco was hugely popular. Even the Stones had to change their style for at least one record to get airplay.  Basically, there was not enough diverse music being played by radio (and therefore, in the clubs/discos). The world reached an over- saturation point and needed to hear something else!

Written By: Howard on 01/27/14 at 6:27 am

Disco didn't die at that point.  It still hung on for a few years.  Diana Ross had a #1 hit in 1980 with Upside Down and the Stars on 45 did the same in 1981 with Medley I.

Disco eventually transitioned into Hi-NRG

It also became more of a funky-electronic sound to it.

Written By: Howard on 01/27/14 at 6:28 am

I like Rod Stewart's song...I didn't realize it was disco though.

"If You Think I'm Sexy".

Check for new replies or respond here...