inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Department store catalog scans of the '70s

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/25/10 at 5:06 pm

Before online shopping emerged in the mid-late '90s and before these became junk mail to many, the mail-order catalog was a helpful tool for those who lived relatively far from the local department store. In addition to ordering by mail, telephoning then was the most hi-tech method of the time. But before toll-free 800 series numbers started to appear in the mid-80s, many catalogs would provide a local number for a branch where you could pick up items. These catalog-only branches of department stores disappeared during the '90s. The 35mm scans as opposed to digital images also captures a bygone era. 

http://www.zuhlcity.com/Cat_Scan/Cat_Scan.html- Covers the '60s, '70s, some '80s, and one newer Japanese Catalog.

Subject: Re: Department store catalog scans of the '70s

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/16/10 at 2:53 pm

I found a site that shows almost every Radio Shack catalog made since World War II!

http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalog_directory.html- Radio Shack Catalogs

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/16/10 at 4:11 pm

I found a site that shows almost every Radio Shack catalog made since World War II!

If you go to 1979, pages 4-5, the stereo on the upper right hand side (the one with the cassette player), that was mine.  :D ;D ;D  The very first stereo I ever bought (with help from my grandmother).

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/16/10 at 4:56 pm

If you go to 1979, pages 4-5, the stereo on the upper right hand side (the one with the cassette player), that was mine.  :D ;D ;D  The very first stereo I ever bought (with help from my grandmother).

Cat

One observation on that catalog -

Does it occur to you that the prices for these stereos in 1979 were really high, in relation to the 1979 cost of living (at least as opposed to what we can buy in more recent days)? 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/16/10 at 5:00 pm

One observation on that catalog -

Does it occur to you that the prices for these stereos in 1979 were really high, in relation to the 1979 cost of living (at least as opposed to what we can buy in more recent days)? 

I KNOW that I didn't pay that much for it. I remember getting it when it was on sale. I'm sure I paid only a little over $100 for it. I remember mailing the ad flyer to a friend of mine who I wrote to all the time when I told her that I was buying it.

Cat

Written By: Midas on 06/16/10 at 5:15 pm

In the 1989 catalog, page 37 - those were my first two DJ Mixers (the one on the right was the first one).

Written By: mitch1987 on 06/18/10 at 12:33 pm

Yeah everything electronic was pricey back then. Adjusted for inflation that 999.00 stereo would be almost 3000.00 today!!  Back then buying a TV, stereo, VCR, even microwaves was a big deal. But then you could agrue that you got something for your money back then. Most homes only had one color TV and maybe a black and white 12". I couldnt afford a VCR until the late 80s and even then I had to save since it was almost 400.00. Seems odd now but back then 400.00 was half a monthes wages for me!
  Thanks for the link! I got my Technics speakers from Radio Shack in the late 90s and still have them and love them lol.

Check for new replies or respond here...