inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: High School/College Kids

Written By: Ryan112390 on 05/14/10 at 5:50 pm

What sort of music would the feathered haired (think the female hairstyles in Carrie or John Travolta in Welcome Back Kotter style) high school to early college aged (say 16-19) year olds have been listening to in like 1975 or 1976?

Subject: Re: High School/College Kids

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/14/10 at 7:08 pm

Boston and Peter Frampton, most likely!  Probably some Fleetwood Mac, too.

Written By: gibbo on 05/15/10 at 11:56 pm

The top 5 songs from 1975 were:
1. Fox On The Run - Sweet
2. SOS - ABBA
3. Paloma Blanca - George Baker Selection
4. I'm Not In Love - 10cc
5. That's the Way I Like It - KC & The Sunshine Band

The top 5 songs from 1976 were:

1. Dancing Queen - ABBA
2. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
3. If You Leave Me Now - Chicago
4. Fernando - Abba
5. Don't go breaking my Heart - Elton John & Kiki Dee

.... and Hotel California (by the Eagles) was released in December 1976 as well.

It appears that ABBA were the biggest sound at this time...

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/22/10 at 11:34 am

I was in high school then.  It was a good time for music.  8)

Besides the ones already mentioned, I was listening to Stevie Wonder, Chicago, David Bowie, Steve Miller Band, Elton John, Paul McCartney/Wings, War, Aerosmith, John Denver, Earth Wind & Fire, Jefferson Starship, Olivia Newton-John, Barry Manilow, Bee Gees, the O'Jays, Heart, Frankie Valli/Four Seasons, James Taylor, Horold Melvin/Bluenotes, and America, just to name a few.  Plus one hit wonders galore.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/22/10 at 10:48 pm

Stoner kids were listening to Led Zeppelin, Grateful Dead, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, much as they do today!

I think the Grateful Dead was more of a college phenomenon until the early '80s.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/28/10 at 4:31 pm

Stoner kids were listening to Led Zeppelin, Grateful Dead, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, much as they do today!

I think the Grateful Dead was more of a college phenomenon until the early '80s.

The stoners I knew in '75-76 (friends of my sisters) were also into Jethro Tull, Yes, Pink Floyd, Uriah Heep, & Thin Lizzy.

To me, the ultimate album of the mid-'70s was recorded live on January 18, 1974 from Royal Festival Hall, London and release May of that year:

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/religionnaire/artistes/yes/art/rick_wakeman/journey_to_the_center_of_the_earth.jpg

If any of you have time, I HIGHLY recommend you listen/watch it. I know it is long but you will not regret spending the time to listen to it. It is AMAZING!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcUgVY-Jq-8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38plqTrQw88&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdRa1ysZMZg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfAcppMAHPk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGeBHy2fyaM&feature=related

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/09/10 at 11:01 am

My sister went through a passionate Jethro Tull phase in the '70s.  She and her friends even went so far as to drive all the way from NH to Providence to see 'Tull on the '79 (?) tour.  I don't know how they managed to find the place as they were prolly tooting reefer the whole way!  My dad didn't like them.  He called them "Jethro Dull."  I liked 'Tull though.  It was melodic and comforting, and I liked Ian Anderson's voice/flute.  It didn't freak me out when I was little, like Pink Floyd and Led Zep. 

My sister's boyfriend was a huge Yes fan.  He also drank Mountain Dew like a fish and had the worst case of acne ever! 

Thanks for going tot he effort to post all those Rick Wakeman videos, but I must apologize, I'm just not that into him.
:(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/09/10 at 1:40 pm

My sister went through a passionate Jethro Tull phase in the '70s.  She and her friends even went so far as to drive all the way from NH to Providence to see 'Tull on the '79 (?) tour.  I don't know how they managed to find the place as they were prolly tooting reefer the whole way!  My dad didn't like them.  He called them "Jethro Dull."  I liked 'Tull though.  It was melodic and comforting, and I liked Ian Anderson's voice/flute.  It didn't freak me out when I was little, like Pink Floyd and Led Zep. 

My sister's boyfriend was a huge Yes fan.  He also drank Mountain Dew like a fish and had the worst case of acne ever! 

Thanks for going tot he effort to post all those Rick Wakeman videos, but I must apologize, I'm just not that into him.

My sisters went to see that Tull concert (in New Haven? It could have been in Providence-that would be funny if your sister & my sisters were at the same concert). I was SOOOOO jealous of them-especially when they came home and said that it was a fantastic concert. I FINALLY got to see them a few years ago at Mohegan Sun and as much of a Tull fan as I am, I was very disappointed in the concert. The main issue was the acoustics were just awful. It was so bad that the people next to us walked out after the first few songs. 

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/09/10 at 8:45 pm

My sisters went to see that Tull concert (in New Haven? It could have been in Providence-that would be funny if your sister & my sisters were at the same concert). I was SOOOOO jealous of them-especially when they came home and said that it was a fantastic concert. I FINALLY got to see them a few years ago at Mohegan Sun and as much of a Tull fan as I am, I was very disappointed in the concert. The main issue was the acoustics were just awful. It was so bad that the people next to us walked out after the first few songs. 

Cat

Tull also went through several sounds in their career.  In '79 they were wrapping up their most magical era, the trilogy of folk-rock albums: Songs from the Wood, Heavy Horses, and Stormwatch.  In the early '80s Ian Anderson went for an electronic sound, which didn't serve the band well.  I say so as a passionate electronic music fan, sometimes electronic music doesn't sound right.  Anyway, seeing Tull in '79 was going to be a different experience from seeing them 25 years later, regardless of the venue.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/10/10 at 12:33 pm

Tull also went through several sounds in their career.  In '79 they were wrapping up their most magical era, the trilogy of folk-rock albums: Songs from the Wood, Heavy Horses, and Stormwatch.  In the early '80s Ian Anderson went for an electronic sound, which didn't serve the band well.  I say so as a passionate electronic music fan, sometimes electronic music doesn't sound right.  Anyway, seeing Tull in '79 was going to be a different experience from seeing them 25 years later, regardless of the venue.

I know. I was just hoping to catch some of that magic but I know I was 25 years too late.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/11/10 at 4:03 pm

I know. I was just hoping to catch some of that magic but I know I was 25 years too late.

Cat

Yesterday I listened to the better parts of "Thick as a Brick" and "Aqualung" on Youtube!
:)

Written By: Frank on 06/11/10 at 4:08 pm

Yesterday I listened to the better parts of "Thick as a Brick" and "Aqualung" on Youtube!

Jethro Tull had some great songs. Always liked "Bungle in the Jungle" and "Locomotive breath"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/11/10 at 4:13 pm

Jethro Tull had some great songs. Always liked "Bungle in the Jungle" and "Locomotive breath"

"Bungle in the Jungle" is an awesome song.

It's about Henry Kissinger.

(no, not really.)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/11/10 at 4:15 pm

Great songs-a long with many, many more. My senior year of high school, I was in a Theatre Arts class and as my final project, I did a dance to Hunting Girl.

Cat

Written By: Frank on 06/11/10 at 4:21 pm

"Bungle in the Jungle" is an awesome song.

It's about Henry Kissinger.

(no, not really.)

I thought it was more about Alexander Haig or G Gordon Liddy.  ;)

Written By: slacker on 06/11/10 at 11:23 pm

How about Cross-eyed Mary
No question what that one is about  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/12/10 at 10:40 pm

Great songs-a long with many, many more. My senior year of high school, I was in a Theatre Arts class and as my final project, I did a dance to Hunting Girl.

Cat

That's funny, my sister was ALSO in Theater Arts.  I guess Tull attracted kids with a flare for drama!

Check for new replies or respond here...