inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Godspell and Jesus Christ Superstar

Written By: slacker on 06/16/10 at 11:32 am

While Godspell and Jesus Christ Superstar were very popular in the 70's,
I wonder how these types of musicals would do today??  ::)

The message might be the same, but...
today's music is very different, as well as people's attitudes .

I think it was right for the early 70's, but doesn't fit today.

What do you think?

Subject: Re: Godspell and Jesus Christ Superstar

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/16/10 at 12:00 pm

We just saw JCS on stage a couple of months ago. We did see Godspell a few years back (on the same stage).

They are basically the same story told in different ways-and of course that story dates back a few millennium. I think many people will continue to like both of these because of the story itself. Not being a Christian myself, I happen to like them for the theatrical aspect of them-which I think is the reason why both will be around for a long time. 

TRUE STORY: Back in the '70s, my mother worked at a theatre where they preformed Godspell. After one matinee, my mother heard two blue-haired old ladies as they were walking out of the theatre: "I liked it but didn't like how it ended." HELLO?!!!! It is the Book of Matthew!!!!  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/16/10 at 2:03 pm

My old high school, St. Patrick's, Thunder Bay, actually had a performance of Jesus Christ Superstar.

It was great.

Written By: lola669 on 06/16/10 at 2:36 pm

I got to see Godspell on Broadway when I was a kid.  I loved the show and all the songs.

Written By: gibbo on 06/16/10 at 7:35 pm

They are both wonderful productions and JCS will stand the test of time due to the magnificent lead vocals...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/16/10 at 7:56 pm

There are probably 100 amateur versions of each in production at any given moment...and don't forget "Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat"!
:D

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/17/10 at 8:57 am

The early '70s are perhaps the most timeless era in pop music IMO, and as long as Christianity remains strong and especially songs from this era remain on classic hits/oldies radio, so will the following of these musicals. It's sort of the musical equivalent of the movie "The Ten Commandments" in a way.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/17/10 at 11:10 pm

While Godspell and Jesus Christ Superstar were very popular in the 70's,
I wonder how these types of musicals would do today??  ::)

Laibach did a pretty awesome cover of the music from Jesus Christ, Superstar in 1996.

Yeah, you could do it again today.  Back in the 70s, it was pretty avant-garde to use "modern" music to tell old stories.  Even if we have to scratch That Other Religion off the list because everyone involved would wind up killed (a pity, since that's the religion most in need of some popularizations of its stories), then how about Buddhism?  There's penty of stories that could do with a more modernized retelling...

Check for new replies or respond here...