inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Female-centered television programs

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/10/10 at 11:01 pm

In the 1970s, there was an upsurge of female-centered television shows:  Rhoda, Maude, That Girl, Julia, Phyllis, Mary Tyler Moore, One Day at a Time, Doris Day show, etc.

In earlier television, the focus was always on a family or a single man in a macho profession (spy, cop, mountain man).  The female-centered comedies were often more nuanced and verbal than other prime time shows because the focus in the time of the ERA was on women relying on their brains and their wits to get through life.  Not for a man to do it, like you see on "Mad Men." 

They seemed to suggest sometimes the girl was a little strange, but this was the first time women seemed to play a lot of lead roles, other than soap operas only bored housewives and closeted homosexuals watched.
:)

Subject: Re: Female-centered television programs

Written By: slacker on 07/11/10 at 10:14 am

Never realized that...

I liked watching Police Woman  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/11/10 at 12:20 pm

Yup-that was the time when women's lib was all the rage. Women were burning their bras, fighting for equal rights (still are), etc. etc. It was only natural for t.v. to reflect what was going on in the world.

The first one was Julia which not only focused on a single mother, but a black woman at that. It broke a lot of barriers on t.v. in more ways then one.

One Day at a Time & Phyllis (which was a sucky show) also were about single moms-one divorced & one widowed (like Julia).

Mary Tyler Moore & That Girl focused on the single woman. It was the first time in t.v. history to say that it was ok to be a single woman and there is nothing wrong with you. Before that, society (which was reflected in t.v. shows) pretty much dictated that a woman get married before she turned 25 or she was considered an old maid.

Rhoda kind of bordered between the single & married woman. And then there's Maude.  :D ;D ;D ;D Yeah, another married woman but she doesn't take any sh!t from ANYONE!!! 

Contrast to Maude was Samantha in Bewitched. What really p!ssed me off about Samantha was she could do ANYTHING but her husband didn't want to her to. Personally, I think it was because Darren was soooo insecure as to the fact that his wife was more powerful than he was. So Sam was very oppressed by her husband. Endora was SOOOO right about Darren. He was just stifling Sam.

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 07/11/10 at 5:25 pm

Yup-that was the time when women's lib was all the rage. Women were burning their bras, fighting for equal rights (still are), etc. etc. It was only natural for t.v. to reflect what was going on in the world.

The first one was Julia which not only focused on a single mother, but a black woman at that. It broke a lot of barriers on t.v. in more ways then one.

One Day at a Time & Phyllis (which was a sucky show) also were about single moms-one divorced & one widowed (like Julia).

Mary Tyler Moore & That Girl focused on the single woman. It was the first time in t.v. history to say that it was ok to be a single woman and there is nothing wrong with you. Before that, society (which was reflected in t.v. shows) pretty much dictated that a woman get married before she turned 25 or she was considered an old maid.

Rhoda kind of bordered between the single & married woman. And then there's Maude.  :D ;D ;D ;D Yeah, another married woman but she doesn't take any sh!t from ANYONE!!! 

Contrast to Maude was Samantha in Bewitched. What really p!ssed me off about Samantha was she could do ANYTHING but her husband didn't want to her to. Personally, I think it was because Darren was soooo insecure as to the fact that his wife was more powerful than he was. So Sam was very oppressed by her husband. Endora was SOOOO right about Darren. He was just stifling Sam.

Cat

I would have let Samantha have her way ... (with me)  or anything else her little cute heart desired!  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/12/10 at 2:36 am

I think Norman Lear and his guys really understood what the feminists were talking about.

I really didn't think there needed to be a "Gloria" spinoff.  In any case, Sally Struthers is just not a strong enough actress to carry a whole sit-com. 

Written By: Frank on 07/12/10 at 10:19 am

I think Norman Lear and his guys really understood what the feminists were talking about.

I really didn't think there needed to be a "Gloria" spinoff.  In any case, Sally Struthers is just not a strong enough actress to carry a whole sit-com. 

No she was not.

One Day at a Time & Phyllis (which was a sucky show) also wela about single moms-one divorced & one widowed (like Julia).

Cat

Julia was a breakthrough show, agreed, a single mother and black. I always liked that show with Eddie's father, another single parent, and they were on concurrently I believe.

Maude: Another breakthrough show, the main character( female) who dominated.
All the shows listed above (except for Phyllis) I used to watch.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/12/10 at 12:29 pm

I forgot about Gloria. Another spin-off that shouldn't have happened (like Phyllis).

Cat

Written By: Frank on 07/12/10 at 10:56 pm

I forgot about Gloria. Another spin-off that shouldn't have happened (like Phyllis).

Cat

Your post may generate another thread: "Spin-off that shouldn't have happened" (Gloria and Phyllis certainly qualify)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/13/10 at 6:35 pm

Your post may generate another thread: "Spin-off that shouldn't have happened" (Gloria and Phyllis certainly qualify)

Well? Go start it.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Frank on 07/13/10 at 6:42 pm

Well? Go start it.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

I might...

Written By: Ashkicksass on 07/15/10 at 2:10 pm

Cat

This is something that didn't just occur on Bewitched - it's been happening since the begininng of time!  You don't have to be a witch to be powerful.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/15/10 at 2:18 pm

This is something that didn't just occur on Bewitched - it's been happening since the begininng of time!  You don't have to be a witch to be powerful.

True. But being a witch doesn't hurt. I should know.  ;)

I am woman hear me roar. Meow, dammit.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 07/15/10 at 2:21 pm

True. But being a witch doesn't hurt. I should know.  ;)

I am woman hear me roar. Meow, dammit.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Ha ha, very true Cat.  :) ;)

Written By: silhouette on 09/12/10 at 1:53 pm

If it hadn't been for that whole upsurgence, television today would... wow, who knows  :o

Written By: dogwelder on 09/24/10 at 9:02 pm

bionic woman
electrawoman and dynagirl
isis
wonder woman

i loved those four! :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/10 at 10:54 pm

bionic woman
electrawoman and dynagirl
isis
wonder woman

i loved those four! :o

I remember those.  Didn't they used to show "Isis" back to back with "Shazzam"?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/25/10 at 11:18 pm

Yep!  Loved to watch them both

Written By: gibbo on 09/26/10 at 12:21 am

Yes, I believe the shows were made by the same people. I'm sure Isis appeared with Captain Marvel in some cross over episodes too..  :-\\

That Joanna Cameron was a doll.. ::)

Written By: Frank on 09/26/10 at 11:55 pm

That Joanna Cameron was a doll.. ::)

No, she was a real person  :P
She was easy to the eyes.  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/27/10 at 1:46 am

No, she was a real person  :P
She was easy to the eyes.  ;)

So the Joanna Cameron facsimile you built doesn't look so hot.  We'll work on it.  It's just a problem, you know?  It get's solved!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/icon_biggrin.gif

Written By: dogwelder on 09/30/10 at 11:23 pm

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwrdLVg-zr39UdfUAYuVeIe8M6-VLNhcntXu1wYGB0uVlnIx4&t=1&usg=__LB6IGGHJaIXfd0phvBLVteLi8zU=

the team up

Written By: dogwelder on 09/30/10 at 11:27 pm

i really liked these two the best..i watched some episodes on you tube...the acting was horrible, but when i was 10 years old......who cared?? they were hot
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuoI1wnhalOQv3lI80xku5kVSZQt3vr2uUbPzo4pAR_OpPk6I&t=1&usg=__tvrkuOtQufIH4WG1hPJ3tPSsX7g=

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/01/10 at 3:28 pm

i really liked these two the best..i watched some episodes on you tube...the acting was horrible, but when i was 10 years old......who cared?? they were hot
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuoI1wnhalOQv3lI80xku5kVSZQt3vr2uUbPzo4pAR_OpPk6I&t=1&usg=__tvrkuOtQufIH4WG1hPJ3tPSsX7g=

I loved that show when I was a kid, too. Then I watched a little bit of a show a few years ago-only a little bit because that was all I could stomach it because it was THAT BAD!!! I guess there is no accounting for taste when you are a kid. lol

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/01/10 at 10:38 pm

I loved that show when I was a kid, too. Then I watched a little bit of a show a few years ago-only a little bit because that was all I could stomach it because it was THAT BAD!!! I guess there is no accounting for taste when you are a kid. lol

http://theipanetwork.homestead.com/CatherineBach.jpg

Say no more...

Written By: dogwelder on 10/01/10 at 11:32 pm

thats why i moved down south!!

on the flipside i watched this throughout the 70's
http://www.tvsinopse.kinghost.net/a/alice_arquivos/3alice-92276.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/01/10 at 11:41 pm

thats why i moved down south!!

Boo-yah!  You should see the ones I didn't post!

Written By: gibbo on 10/01/10 at 11:58 pm

Boo-yah!  You should see the ones I didn't post!

I'll be Bach...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/10 at 12:27 am

I'll be Bach...

Mind where the drops are falling.

Written By: dogwelder on 10/02/10 at 12:37 am

From 1970 through 1980, Shore hosted two daytime programs, Dinah's Place (1970–1974) on NBC and Dinah! (later Dinah and Friends) in syndication from 1974 through 1980 and a third cable program from 1989–1992.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQB421G48AggZlwoVCd7nJBxsU0BRc5AdLNIYOWKkiV6VjmKD8&t=1&usg=__uXeiwHtWWZT3taYXWiimX24dY6M=

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/02/10 at 1:33 pm

on the flipside i watched this throughout the 70's
http://www.tvsinopse.kinghost.net/a/alice_arquivos/3alice-92276.jpg

I loved everyone on that show but Linda Lavin (Alice) & Philip McKeon (Tommy).

Cat

Written By: Fairee07 on 10/02/10 at 5:29 pm

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Charlie's Angels. I use to love watching the reruns when I was little until I started to become paranoid that I could be the next one murdered.  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/10 at 12:05 am

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Charlie's Angels. I use to love watching the reruns when I was little until I started to become paranoid that I could be the next one murdered.  ::)

Charlies Angels is female-centered for sure!  However, the premise of "three little girls from the police academy" whose boss was a disembodied voice of an old man.  It's not really a Gloria Steinem kind of thing.
;)

Written By: dogwelder on 10/04/10 at 12:00 am

i believe this is a prime example of answering the the very first post on this thread------------

http://img1.immage.de/3008bad4196024128a0c839a49aa010.l.jpg

Written By: ralfy on 09/24/16 at 12:26 pm

"1966-67 Television Season 50th Anniversary: That Girl & Marlo Thomas"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMvpeN7Pq3Y

Check for new replies or respond here...