inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Depictions of the Hippie/Counter Culture movement in early-mid 70s films?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 07/21/10 at 10:25 pm

Are there any serious, non campy depictions of Hippies and the Counter Culture or at least people with Hippie styles such as guys with long hair, beards, hippie women, etc, (even if it in small or 'bad guy' roles) in any early-mid 70s (say 1970-1974) films? Maybe something like in the vein of Easy Rider?

Subject: Re: Depictions of the Hippie/Counter Culture movement in early-mid 70s films?

Written By: snozberries on 07/21/10 at 10:53 pm

Are there any serious, non campy depictions of Hippies and the Counter Culture or at least people with Hippie styles such as guys with long hair, beards, hippie women, etc, (even if it in small or 'bad guy' roles) in any early-mid 70s (say 1970-1974) films? Maybe something like in the vein of Easy Rider?

ever heard of a little film (based on the play) called Hair? 

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6gD41hUr03Y/TAXQYO078II/AAAAAAAAATQ/7XFcFtuIaG4/s400/hair-movie1.jpg

Subject: Re: Depictions of the Hippie/Counter Culture movement in early-mid 70s films?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/10 at 12:03 am

Hollywood treated hippies like they were either misguided rebels or delirious libertines.  Some hippies were one or both.  Hollywood did not make use of hippies as intellectuals and idealists.  Many were both.  Hippies as frivolous or addled people was much more entertaining.  How many references to Buckminster Fuller, Rudolph Steiner, or Aldous Huxley are there in Hollywood movies?  Very few.
::)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/22/10 at 10:39 am

Oh, but the campy depictions of hippies are the best ones! :D

If you ever get the chance, check out the late-60s incarnation of Dragnet, it's freakin' hilarious.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/22/10 at 3:19 pm

ever heard of a little film (based on the play) called Hair? 

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6gD41hUr03Y/TAXQYO078II/AAAAAAAAATQ/7XFcFtuIaG4/s400/hair-movie1.jpg

That movie totally sucked. They ruined the play.

Some movies to watch:

Alice's Restaurant
Butterflies Are Free
Woodstock 

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/10 at 10:08 pm

Speaking of Woodstock, I do recommend Ang Lee's 2009 film "Taking Woodstock."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1127896/

Fact-based fiction.  It too portrays hippies in a positive light.  "Taking Woodstock" focuses on Jake Teichberg, the local kid helping them make it happen.  Lee's take on both the hippies and the straights is very present-day.  I don't know if a film maker in the 1970s would have the cultural perspective to be able to do what Lee does here.

Written By: snozberries on 07/23/10 at 6:14 pm

That movie totally sucked. They ruined the play.

Cat

I never saw the play.
I enjoyed the movie. And still, you can't deny that it heavily features hippie culture.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/23/10 at 8:22 pm

I never saw the play.
I enjoyed the movie. And still, you can't deny that it heavily features hippie culture.

The movie of "Hair" came out right after the movie of "Grease."  "Grease" and "Hair" go together real nice!
:D

Check for new replies or respond here...