inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1970s New York State/City Driver License

Written By: Ryan112390 on 08/13/10 at 11:29 pm

Hi

We found a bunch of my grandpa's old Driver Licenses (From 1966, 1969, 1972 and 1975--His last license before he died). For anyone here who lived in NYC or New York State in the early-mid 1970s, I have a couple of questions:

1) What was a Chauffeur License (This License classification appears on all licenses until 1975, with no explanation given to what makes it different from other classes)

2) Why do 3 of his licenses (1966, 1969, 1975) have "Not Valid Until Stamped" or "Not a License Until Stamped" at the bottom, with the renewal date stamped over that message , whereas one (1972) has the date typed out like the rest of the license info, (with no "Not Valid Until Stamped")

3) How were Driver License photographs done in NYC/NYS in the early-mid 70s? For example, was it done on site at the day the license was renewed--Like today? Or was it done in a different way--I've heard from another source one had to get their photo taken at a photo studio (separate from the DMV) and the photo would be attached to the license by the DMV.

Check for new replies or respond here...