inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Women's 70s fashion

Written By: Ryan112390 on 08/18/10 at 1:36 am

I really wish shirts and clothes like this would come back into style, personally. I think it's really beautiful, and women would look lovely in something like this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d0/English_Country_Cottage_%282364756846%29.jpg

Subject: Re: Women's 70s fashion

Written By: ADH13 on 08/18/10 at 1:58 am

I think you can find things like that.  There are lots of 70's inspired clothes out right now. 

If there's one thing I like about this decade, it's that there isn't much that is OUT of style... you can literally walk out the door wearing something from the 1920's without getting funny looks.

I just bought this top (in green) and absolutely LOVE it because it reminds me of the 70's... I never did like bell bottoms or flare jeans though.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,2704P_Pine-Needles-Tunic-Shirt-Short-Sleeve-For-Women.html

Written By: Ryan112390 on 08/18/10 at 2:27 am

I think you can find things like that.  There are lots of 70's inspired clothes out right now.  

If there's one thing I like about this decade, it's that there isn't much that is OUT of style... you can literally walk out the door wearing something from the 1920's without getting funny looks.

I just bought this top (in green) and absolutely LOVE it because it reminds me of the 70's... I never did like bell bottoms or flare jeans though.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,2704P_Pine-Needles-Tunic-Shirt-Short-Sleeve-For-Women.html

Do you know anywhere to find:

1) Floral design dress shirts or crazy designed dress shirts like from the 70s
2) Wide colored (Disco-like) button down shirts--Like with the huge, wide collars
3) New flare/bell bottom jeans for men?

Written By: ADH13 on 08/18/10 at 2:39 am

2) Wide colored (Disco-like) button down shirts--Like with the huge, wide collars

Are you looking for current items that are inspired by 70's, or actual 70's items?

If you are looking for vintage disco shirts, you can look on Etsy.com, bonanzle.com or ebay, some brands to search for are Kennington, Nik Nik, Maggie's Print Works, many department stores had them in their own brands as well... Sears, JC Penney, etc.  or just search "disco shirt" you will find tons.

I wouldn't know about flare/bell bottom, I'm not into that at all... I'll have to look around and see what i can find on dress shirts...

Forever 21 has a collection called "Heritage 1981" which is all vintage inspired.  I guess it's loosely based on what was in fashion in 1981 (obviously not fully since the jeans in that collection are low rise  >:() but alot of it is 70's like, since fashion didn't change too much from the 1970's to 1981.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/18/10 at 9:23 am

I like the outfit the woman RB posted is wearing, but the seventies hairstyles for (and men) were the dorkiest of the century...as in that bowl cut style the same woman has. 

Written By: Ryan112390 on 08/18/10 at 12:11 pm

I like the outfit the woman RB posted is wearing, but the seventies hairstyles for (and men) were the dorkiest of the century...as in that bowl cut style the same woman has. 

Yeah I'm not big on her haircut, but I love the shirt.
I love the long feathered/layered cuts of the mid 70s, like the girls in Carrie are wearing (at least, the main bully girl), or the long like down past the chest center part a lot of women wore in the early-mid 70s. I wish those would come back into style.

Like this for the feathered cut:
http://i37.tinypic.com/oh7e6u.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/18/10 at 8:54 pm

I remember the Farrah Fawcett hair craze:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gawker/2009/06/Farrah_Fawcett1.jpg

R.I.P. Farrah
:-*

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/969232_f496.jpg

This look was chic from the lat-sixties until about 1975.  I only saw women like this in booze ads on the back of the The New Yorker.  I was too young to go to those parties...and even if I wasn't, I wouldn't be invited!
8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/18/10 at 9:07 pm

Man! I thought nobody would want to look for that stuff.  In fact, archeologists finding that stuff would be the equivalent of your mother finding a Hustler under your bed!
:-[

Written By: ADH13 on 08/18/10 at 10:15 pm

Man! I thought nobody would want to look for that stuff.  In fact, archeologists finding that stuff would be the equivalent of your mother finding a Hustler under your bed!
:-[

Actually the Nik Nik shirts are very collectible.  I've seen used ones go for over $100.00 easily.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/19/10 at 12:03 am

Actually the Nik Nik shirts are very collectible.  I've seen used ones go for over $100.00 easily.

What about those horrible little anoraks everybody was wearing in 1986.  They zipped up the neck.
???

Written By: ADH13 on 08/19/10 at 12:30 am

What about those horrible little anoraks everybody was wearing in 1986.  They zipped up the neck.
???

80's hasn't really become collectible yet, except for the early 80's designer jeans (especially Jordache) and some concert t-shirts.  

I buy vintage clothes at thrift stores and sell them on Ebay, etc.  It's a good way to make extra money.  Old bowling shirts sell really well too.

80s clothes are desirable, but they aren't nearly as rare so people don't pay as much for them.  I'm not sure that 80's and newer clothes will ever really be too rare or hard to find.  I think once things like Antiques Roadshow and Ebay surfaced, people started to realize that things will be worth money down the road - so things don't get thrown out like they used to.  Many people probably still had things from the 80's in their closets at that time... but 70's, not so much.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/20/10 at 12:11 am

I was a teenage hipster following the Malcolm McLaren thrift shop sensibility.  I used to buy a lot of stuff at Oona's in Harvard Square.  I believe the store is still there, even though Harvard Square has been dead since the early '90s.  Anyway, we bought it because it was old and strange--looking.  Trust me though, if you're a teenage hipster wearing a trenchcoat and a fedora in 1987, ain't nobody's gonna trust you any farther than he could throw you (and with your bad knee you shouldn't throw anybody!).  Speaking of -- This ain't a John Hughes film.  This isn't some hapless Duckie...okay maybe a little. 
:-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/20/10 at 12:15 am

Which is to say the beautiful old Chesterfield top coat I had in '85 was deteriorating when I bought it.  It was lucky to have survived until 25 years ago.  Today?  Fuh-git it!
;D

Written By: ADH13 on 08/20/10 at 12:30 am

I was a teenage hipster following the Malcolm McLaren thrift shop sensibility.  I used to buy a lot of stuff at Oona's in Harvard Square.  I believe the store is still there, even though Harvard Square has been dead since the early '90s.  Anyway, we bought it because it was old and strange--looking.  Trust me though, if you're a teenage hipster wearing a trenchcoat and a fedora in 1987, ain't nobody's gonna trust you any farther than he could throw you (and with your bad knee you shouldn't throw anybody!).  Speaking of -- This ain't a John Hughes film.  This isn't some hapless Duckie...okay maybe a little. 
:-\\

I was really into unicorns in the late 70's, early 80's.  I think probably half of my shirts had a unicorn or a pegasus on it somewhere...and my bedspread...  I still like them.  I wish I could find adult sized t-shirts with a little unicorn embroidered on it... maybe they don't necessarily need to be leaping over a big bright rainbow anymore, but that is something i always look for when I go the thrift stores.

Silly, I know... but what can I say.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/20/10 at 2:17 am

I was really into unicorns in the late 70's, early 80's.  I think probably half of my shirts had a unicorn or a pegasus on it somewhere...and my bedspread...   I still like them.  I wish I could find adult sized t-shirts with a little unicorn embroidered on it... maybe they don't necessarily need to be leaping over a big bright rainbow anymore, but that is something i always look for when I go the thrift stores.

Silly, I know... but what can I say.

Unicorns, pegasuses (pegasi?), heart, rainbows, kittens...all very popular for girls' accessories in the early '80s!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/butter.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...