inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Can someone help with this 70's "Christmas" song?

Written By: ADH13 on 08/24/10 at 2:31 am

I just found this song that I hadn't heard in years.  It's called "When The River Meets The Sea" and it's from the John Denver & The Muppets Christmas Together album.  We used to listen to this album so much around the holidays, and I always thought this song was beautiful, and it seemed so Christmas-ey to me as a child.

I just gave it another listen... expected to be flooded with good memories of childhood... only to realize it is about death?!?!  Unless I'm (hopefully) missing something.  I suppose it could be about Jesus... I'm not too good at picking up subliminal meanings... I can't imagine a song about death on a Christmas album geared toward children.

It may not seem like a beautiful song on first listen... I think it's more sentimental for me.. but if anyone knows this song or has a couple minutes to give it a listen and tell me what you think.... because I'm confused.  I'd really appreciate any thoughts...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDiXtvuZOfk

Subject: Re: Can someone help with this 70's "Christmas" song?

Written By: Claybricks on 08/24/10 at 4:43 am

When the River Meets the Sea

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When the River Meets the Sea is a song written by composer and lyricist Paul Williams for Jim Henson's 1977 HBO special Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas. The song was later sung by John Denver and Robin the frog in the 1979 television special John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together.

Though written for one Christmas story and featured in another, the lyrics are not holiday-related, but symbolic of death as a peaceful transition to an afterlife.

The song was performed by Jerry Nelson (the puppeteer of Emmet Otter) and Louise Gold at Henson's memorial service in New York on 21 May 1990.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_the_River_Meets_the_Sea

Dan

Written By: ADH13 on 08/24/10 at 12:58 pm

Yeah, that's pretty much what I got out of it after listening yesterday.

So funny that all through childhood, I heard a beautiful Christmas song.

Written By: Jay on 09/03/10 at 12:49 am

I am almost 42 I love this movie. I take it every christmas to watch this year I will let my (he'll be 22mo) old son watch it. If ya listen it is the circle of life! Flowers, barren sands ,Rivers meeting seas Ect... Take what you will from it but over all it is about giving! Peace, J

Written By: Hud on 09/03/10 at 8:30 am

I was in jr high and HBO was new here when they would run Emmitt Otter in Dec. Heck, we had the cable novelty installed in '74 which upped us to channels 2-13 available. Then channels were gradually added, including a single premium HBO locally. I would have died of embarrassment if I was found out by my friends, but I loved watching that show in my early teens. I'd forgotten about it until now.

Check for new replies or respond here...