inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: .

Written By: whistledog on 10/07/10 at 6:47 pm

Subject: Re: CANCON Triple Play 1 - Soft Rock

Written By: gibbo on 10/07/10 at 9:13 pm

I'm at work presently (and can't access youtube)...but can see the titles. Gary and Dave's "Could You Ever Love Me Again" is one of my all time favorite songs. One of those I would have on my ipod (if I wasn't a dinosaur and owned one).  ;)

Written By: Frank on 10/07/10 at 11:04 pm

Being from Canada , I know there songs very well. I agree with gibbo, "Could You Ever Love Me Again" is one of my favorite songs as well.
Jerry Doucette has some good songs in that time period.  I don't think I know other songs by Tom Middleton.

Written By: gibbo on 10/07/10 at 11:41 pm

Being from Canada , I know there songs very well. I agree with gibbo, "Could You Ever Love Me Again" is one of my favorite songs as well.
Jerry Doucette has some good songs in that time period.  I don't think I know other songs by Tom Middleton.

I also really liked Edward Bear's " Last Song". He was canadian too...wasn't he?  :-\\

Written By: nally on 10/07/10 at 11:42 pm

I also really liked Edward Bear's " Last Song". He was canadian too...wasn't he?  :-\\

I thought Edward Bear was a group and not a soloist. I could be wrong though. Names of some music acts can be deceiving.

Written By: Frank on 10/08/10 at 12:06 am

I thought Edward Bear was a group and not a soloist. I could be wrong though. Names of some music acts can be deceiving.

Edward Bear was a band.  They had a lot of nice songs, perhaps we shall hear more about them in this thread in the future.

Written By: gibbo on 10/08/10 at 1:27 am

Edward Bear was a band.  They had a lot of nice songs, perhaps we shall hear more about them in this thread in the future.

Interesting...I remember an old vidoe of them singing Last Song and assumed that the drummer (I think he was singing) was Edward Bear. I must be getting old...I am having deja vu about Whistledog already telling me this stuff!  :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 10/08/10 at 10:12 am

Edward Bear took their name from the bear that inspired Winnie the Pooh.  It is a common misconception it was one singer much like the UK groups Jethro Tull, Matt Bianco and Danny Wilson.

Written By: nally on 10/08/10 at 11:05 am

Edward Bear took their name from the bear that inspired Winnie the Pooh.  It is a common misconception it was one singer much like the UK groups Jethro Tull, Matt Bianco and Danny Wilson.

...and Tommy Tutone, an American band that sang about a particular phone number in the early 80's. And Wilson Phillips, an early 90's female group (also American).

I haven't heard any of them, but I'm sure they are good ones. :)

Written By: Frank on 10/08/10 at 6:25 pm

...and Tommy Tutone, an American band that sang about a particular phone number in the early 80's. And Wilson Phillips, an early 90's female group (also American).

I haven't heard any of them, but I'm sure they are good ones. :)

It's all early to mid 70 songs. Pleasant, easy listening tunes.

Written By: nally on 10/09/10 at 12:20 am

It's all early to mid 70 songs. Pleasant, easy listening tunes.

I will try to find some of their music on Youtube.

Written By: Henk on 10/09/10 at 2:15 am

From yours truly, I present a little piece of Canada.  Each week, a set of 3 Canadian 70's songs in a random category that may or may not have made it outside of Canada.  Enjoy!

First volume is Soft Rock

GARY AND DAVE - Could You Ever Love Me Again (1973)
America had Seals and Crofts, we had Gary and Dave.  A number one hit in Canada, #7 in Australia and #96 in the States

DOUCETTE - All I Wanna Do (1978)
You don't have to be in the Top 40 to have a popular hit, and Jerry Doucette proved that when this song only made it to #56 in Canada. 

TOM MIDDLETON - It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference (1973)
The 70's was full of covers, and alot of ones done by Canadians, were of songs that never made the charts in Canada such as the Todd Rundgren original of this.  Reached #13 in Canada

These are all pretty good songs. :) None of them made Holland, though. (But then, vice versa, there are plenty of good songs by Dutch artists that never made it to Canada). I imagine there are plenty of radio stations that still play those songs on a regular basis (if only because of Cancon regulations LOL!).

That Gary and Dave song reminds of some other song, but I can't put my finger on it.

Written By: whistledog on 10/09/10 at 9:00 pm

I imagine there are plenty of radio stations that still play those songs on a regular basis (if only because of Cancon regulations LOL!).

On the station I listen to, they play lots of 70s CANCON, but these three are rare.  Alot of CANCON is so long forgotten, it's always a surprise to hear them.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/10/10 at 12:47 am

"Gary and Dave"  I'm thinking "Bob and Doug"...
8)

Subject: Re: CANCON Triple Play 2 - Disco

Written By: whistledog on 10/13/10 at 8:24 pm

Written By: Frank on 10/17/10 at 11:56 pm

VOLUME 2 - DISCO

CLAUDJA BARRY - Boogie Woogie (Dancin' Shoes) (1979)
Jamaican born Canadian.  It reached #11 in Canada and #32 in Australia. Though it only reached #56 in America, it was Top 10 on the US dance chart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qccqVL71eSE

TROIANO - We All Need Love (1979)
The late Italian born Canadian Domenic Troiano (in the clip, he's the guitarist with the moustache) had been a member of several bands including the James Gang and The Guess Who.  His attempt at fun disco got him to #34 in Canada with this song.  An early 90's cover  by an artist called Double You was an International hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IZguklxbQo

KEBEKELEKTRIK - Magic Fly (1977)
Our International friends may know the original of this by the French group Space.  This cover reached #69 in Canada.  Their name is pronounced "Quebec Electric" and was an alias for producer Gino Soccio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRup2XxrFxg

I know the first 2 very well. Gotta listen to the last one if I know it.
Boogie Woogie (Dancin' Shoes) was pretty popular , I recall.

Written By: whistledog on 10/19/10 at 11:13 pm

That clip of 'We All Need Love' was an appearance on the first season of 'You Can't Do That on Television', so it got American exposure, but it never impacted the US chart.  They missed out on a great song.

Written By: Frank on 10/19/10 at 11:21 pm

That clip of 'We All Need Love' was an appearance on the first season of 'You Can't Do That on Television', so it got American exposure, but it never impacted the US chart.  They missed out on a great song.

I listened to Magic Fly.  Not something I am familiar with.  Since I was 14 and living in Quebec at the time, yoiu think I would have heard it.. I remember other french/bilingual atists of the time ( like Pagliaro, Boule Noire, Plastic Bertrand, Toulouse), but not this one.      Maybe my memory isn't so good anymore

Written By: whistledog on 10/20/10 at 12:08 am

I listened to Magic Fly.  Not something I am familiar with.  Since I was 14 and living in Quebec at the time, yoiu think I would have heard it.. I remember other french/bilingual atists of the time ( like Pagliaro, Boule Noire, Plastic Bertrand, Toulouse), but not this one.      Maybe my memory isn't so good anymore

The clubs ate it up.  I only remember the song through a 70's KTel comp.  Gino Soccio would do better in '79 with 'Dancer', which I still hear from time to time on the radio.

Check for new replies or respond here...