inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone wish Disco was still big?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 10/17/10 at 1:53 pm

I for one am a HUGE fan of Disco music, it's so fun and light hearted, I kinda wish that sound was still big.

Subject: Re: Anyone wish Disco was still big?

Written By: Davester on 10/17/10 at 3:01 pm

It still is, in a way, in-between this retro craze and that.  Many, if not most, if not all disco tracks are available, in one form or another, online or elsewhere...

I only wish decent pop music was still big...

Written By: Emman on 10/17/10 at 4:49 pm

I for one am a HUGE fan of Disco music, it's so fun and light hearted, I kinda wish that sound was still big.

I like quite a bit of 70s disco too, the overall "classic disco sound"(string orchestra, acoustic instruments) died out around 1980 but it has been a huge influence on most dance/pop music afterward and even some 80's new wave . The french house sound of the late 90's/early 00's was kind of a neo disco style(esp. artist like Daft Punk, Modjo), the 70s revival was going strong around 2000 too, like the remake of Shaft, flare jeans.

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/18/10 at 8:07 am

It still is in a way; it's just not the same going by a more politically correct term ever since (Dance music in the '80s, Techno in the '90s, and Electro dance-pop in recent years). All there is nowadays is a DJ with some digital device using the songs with crappier music. Sadly, disco is now as nostalgic today as to what Big Band/Swing music was during Disco's heyday, and you can clearly see the relationship between the Big Band/Swing, Disco, and today's Electropop have to one another. Disco brought back some of the orchestras from the swing era, yet also introduced some electronic sounds that laid the foundation for its evolution over the next few decades; which is why I now find disco music to be "the ideal dancing music", with a mix of contemporary and modern sounds. Electropop today has some of the electronic effects introduced during disco, but many songs are Autotuned and is more robotic. Disco is still around if you do a Google News Search for "disco dancing", however if you know wherer to look.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/19/10 at 12:30 am

College kids love seventies disco nowadays!  The whole "Disco Sucks" thing is in the dustbin of pop culture history.  Kids today will listen to anything that sounds cool.  I've heard this one on a disco show hosted by a 24-year-old friend of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGNrufyCC-0

He wasn't even born when the song was popular.  I barely remember it.  I was nine or so.  I had to Google the lyrics!

In my day "Let's All Chant" morphed into "Join in the Chant"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0HsjYtdAKM

Written By: Nostalgic on 10/19/10 at 6:32 am

Yes, I do.  :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/20/10 at 1:14 am

It still is in a way; it's just not the same going by a more politically correct term ever since (Dance music in the '80s, Techno in the '90s, and Electro dance-pop in recent years). All there is nowadays is a DJ with some digital device using the songs with crappier music. Sadly, disco is now as nostalgic today as to what Big Band/Swing music was during Disco's heyday, and you can clearly see the relationship between the Big Band/Swing, Disco, and today's Electropop have to one another. Disco brought back some of the orchestras from the swing era, yet also introduced some electronic sounds that laid the foundation for its evolution over the next few decades; which is why I now find disco music to be "the ideal dancing music", with a mix of contemporary and modern sounds. Electropop today has some of the electronic effects introduced during disco, but many songs are Autotuned and is more robotic. Disco is still around if you do a Google News Search for "disco dancing", however if you know wherer to look.

Karma for this, BTW.  Well said. 

The Trance/Rave music in the '90s often had an exhilarating atmosphere, which was closer to the atmosphere of Disco, and less so to the dark electronics of Nitzer Ebb or Front 242.  However, Trance artists such as Cosmic Baby and Oliver Lieb seemed to draw their electronic orchestration more from minimalism (Terry Riley, Steve Reich) than the more tonal and flowery orchestrations you would hear in Disco.  Producers such as Giorgi Moroder and Arthur Baker -- and Kraftwerk -- pushed the robotic sound as early as the mid-'70s.

I don't think you'll ever get that carefree Disco culture back, though.  Not after AIDS.  Not after we've seen over and over again: Drugs really are bad for you!  Even at its most hedonistic, the pop culture of the seventies celebrated  love and unity more than in the Reagan/Thatcher era.

Written By: mooster on 10/26/10 at 4:37 am

Yes, I do.  :-\\

Me too! Though it's still big in my world 8)

Written By: sherry on 11/01/10 at 8:17 am

bring back club 54  the seventies that was dancing actually had moves and the music words not like most of this garbage you actually had dance steps not some movements that look like seizure attacks

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/02/10 at 1:01 am

bring back club 54  the seventies that was dancing actually had moves and the music words not like most of this garbage you actually had dance steps not some movements that look like seizure attacks

"That's Studio 54, sweetie, and, no, you can't come in!"

--Steve Rubell
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/teufel.gif

Written By: Nostalgic on 11/02/10 at 1:03 am

I was just thinking that going to Studio 54 is my other wish!

Written By: whistledog on 11/02/10 at 9:58 am

Lots of DJs and Dance Artists keep Disco alive through samples in their music.

NY DJ Armand Van Helden re-hashed the 1979 classic 'Gotta go Home' by Boney M, for use with his project Duck Sauce and their new single 'Barbra Streisand', that is a International Smash, and now rising up the Canadian chart.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/06/10 at 4:07 pm

I'm quite neutral towards disco, but I would rather listen to it than all the plant fertilizer on the radio right now.  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 11/06/10 at 5:46 pm

Cool, I am a fan of disco for exactly the same reasons. :)

Like some people have said, disco hasn't gone away it has just metamorphosed into something else. This is more likely to do with the onset of better technology and less emphasis on electric bass guitar moreso than anything else.

Lots of DJs and Dance Artists keep Disco alive through samples in their music.

NY DJ Armand Van Helden re-hashed the 1979 classic 'Gotta go Home' by Boney M, for use with his project Duck Sauce and their new single 'Barbra Streisand', that is a International Smash, and now rising up the Canadian chart.

I was thinking of this song as I was typing, Jason. It is doing really well over here in the UK too but, too be honest, I think it is pretty awful and lazy of the DJs to come up with something like this.   :)

Written By: HeartsAfire on 11/09/10 at 4:01 pm

Disco was all over the radio when I was a young gal and I still love listening to it today.  The BeeGees, Tavares, Gloria Gaynor,  Peter Brown, The Silver Convention, etc. all frequently find themselves enjoying a spin inside my CD player.

I agree that disco has morphed into different styles of dance music that we hear on the radio today. I enjoy listening to some of those songs but nothing will ever replace the sound I grew up with.

Written By: moycon2000 on 11/17/10 at 10:36 pm

I think disco was pretty decent music. Was just fun and energetic. I was pretty young in the 70's. Can't really say I was into music much during that time. Going back now and listening to some of those old songs is a real treat. I even picked up an old stereo system from an antique shop this past year and have been on the lookout for cheap LPs. Kicking back, drinking a beer, listening to records now really makes me wish I had been a bit older back in those days. It's great fun, but unfortunately I don't really have anyone to kick back with. I mean my GF would no doubt join me, but try and do that when you have about 5 or 6 people over and they are like, "what is this some sort of goofy theme party?"

*sigh*

Would be nice to make a night of it, just sitting around, shirt unbuttoned, collar up, maybe a thick gold chain around the neck, smoking a cigar, drinking beer out of a tall glass and listening to disco records.

Good times I think.

Written By: Hud on 11/30/10 at 2:27 pm

I guess this is about as closely related a topic as I'll find without starting a whole new thread, but here's a site for bad fads, even tho it's very brief and doesn't list many.

http://www.badfads.com/

Written By: KKay on 11/30/10 at 2:30 pm

I do!

1. I love the 70s.
2.  I look awsome in disco clothes.
3.  Everyone looks awesome in disco clothes.

Written By: zcrito on 11/30/10 at 5:52 pm

Anyone wish Disco was still big?

No.
But this my new current favorite Disco song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOx81aG-EN4

Grade-A Disco music from 1978 (album 1977).

Written By: RG1995 on 11/30/10 at 8:48 pm

meh. Disco is awesome

Written By: Step-chan on 11/30/10 at 10:15 pm

I was born late in the disco era, so I'm not sure what to think.

But there are a few songs here and there that I like from the disco genre.

Written By: Tia on 12/01/10 at 11:06 am

I'm quite neutral towards disco, but I would rather listen to it than all the plant fertilizer on the radio right now.  ;D
dittos, rush! long as it's not autotuned, sign me up.

Written By: KKay on 12/01/10 at 10:09 pm

dittos, rush! long as it's not autotuned, sign me up.

On a good, scratchy LP..get out the soundtrack to You Can't Stop The Music

Written By: CeeKay on 12/01/10 at 10:45 pm

I'm in!  Disco dancing was fun.  I took lessons with my cousin and "the girls from the neighborhood."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/01/10 at 11:52 pm

I'm in!  Disco dancing was fun.  I took lessons with my cousin and "the girls from the neighborhood."

I dunno, it was kinda hard to get disco fever going up in the swampy farms of New Hampshire, but they sure did try at the sock hop at the high school gym!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/yelclap.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...