inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Five Man Electrical Band

Written By: whistledog on 03/26/11 at 9:56 pm

Five Man Electrical band were/are a 5 piece rock band from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada fronted by lead singer Les Emmerson.  Originally known as The Staccatos, the group changed their name to Five Man Electrical Band in 1969, which was the title of their third album.

Often known as one hit wonders for their 1971 hit 'Signs', there's actually more to the group than you may know ...

THE STACCATOS
1965 | Small Town Girl
1965 | Move to California
1966 | It's A Long Way Home
1966 | C'mon Everybody
1966 | Let's Run Away
1968 | Didn't Know the Time

FIVE MAN ELECTRICAL BAND
1969 | It Never Rains on Maple Lane
1969 | Private Train
1969 | Sunrise to Sunset
1970 | Moonshine (Friend of Mine)
1971 | Hello Melinda Goodbye
1971 | Signs
1971 | Absolutely Right
1972 | Devil and Miss Lucy
1972 | Julianna
1972 | Money Back Guarantee
1973 | I'm A Stranger Here
1973 | Baby Wanna Boogie
1974 | Werewolf
1975 | Johnny Get A Gun

LES EMMERSON
1973 | Control of Me
1973 | Cry Your Eyes Out
1974 | Cliches
1975 | Watching the World Go By

NOTABLE COVER SONGS
1973 | Moonshine (Friend of Mine) - John Kay
1991 | Signs - Tesla

Subject: Re: Five Man Electrical Band

Written By: gibbo on 03/27/11 at 4:56 am

Signs?  Is that the one that has " and the sign said no long haired freaky people need apply"?  If so, I liked that song...

Written By: Dagwood on 03/27/11 at 7:46 am

Signs?  Is that the one that has " and the sign said no long haired freaky people need apply"?  If so, I liked that song...

That is the song.

Written By: Paul on 03/27/11 at 12:55 pm

Fine song, which of course, meant zilch in Britain (we were too busy with the delights of T.Rex and The New Seekers (?!)...

(And this all ties in nicely with the early 70s Canadian Invasion of the US, which I'm not entirely sure has been equalled since...)

Written By: whistledog on 03/27/11 at 7:49 pm

Fine song, which of course, meant zilch in Britain (we were too busy with the delights of T.Rex and The New Seekers (?!)...

(And this all ties in nicely with the early 70s Canadian Invasion of the US, which I'm not entirely sure has been equalled since...)

One of the rarities of that bunch is Pagliaro with Lovin' You Ain't Easy
And also one not mentioned on there is one not many know is Canadian:  'Conquistador' by Procul Harum

Written By: Paul on 03/28/11 at 5:22 am

One of the rarities of that bunch is Pagliaro with Lovin' You Ain't Easy

Fine song...and also 'rare' insofar as it was recorded here in Britain!

And also one not mentioned on there is one not many know is Canadian:  'Conquistador' by Procul Harum

Ah, but only Canadian by 'default'... ;)

Written By: Henk on 03/28/11 at 5:45 am

Both "Signs" and "Absolutely Right" were minor hits over here, though they failed to make Top 40.

Written By: Paul on 03/28/11 at 7:26 am

And speaking of 'invasions', that man's (^) fellow countrymen (and women) made a quick foray into the top end of the US charts around the same time, with Shocking Blue, The Tee Set and George Baker all hitting within months of the start of the 70s...

Only 'Venus' made it over here, which is a pity, as the other two were very good...

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/28/11 at 3:56 pm

I like both "Signs" and "Absolutely Right"

Written By: Henk on 03/28/11 at 4:10 pm

And speaking of 'invasions', that man's (^) fellow countrymen (and women) made a quick foray into the top end of the US charts around the same time, with Shocking Blue, The Tee Set and George Baker all hitting within months of the start of the 70s...

Only 'Venus' made it over here, which is a pity, as the other two were very good...

If you think George Baker is very good, you haven't heard his 1980's songs. :D ;)

As for The Tee Set... their international success came to an abrupt halt with the release of 'She Likes Weeds'.  I wonder why...

Written By: warped on 08/10/13 at 12:30 pm

This was an excellent band. Grew up with their music and Les Emmerson`s solo work.

These songs

1971 | Signs
1971 | Absolutely Right
1972 | Money Back Guarantee
1973 | I'm A Stranger Here
1974 | Werewolf
1973 | Control of Me
1973 | Cry Your Eyes Out

Are on my `Canadian songs`playlist on my ipod.  They never got the credit they deserved. Great band.

Written By: Howard on 08/10/13 at 3:09 pm

"Signs" is all I know from that band.

Written By: Paul on 08/13/13 at 5:19 pm

'Signs' has a complicated history...

It was first released as a B side (on two different labels!) with a running time of four minutes - then it was re-promoted as the A side, but radio dictated 4 minutes was too long, so forty seconds was shaved off! (The intro, I think)

Somehow, this radio edit found its way onto some shop copies and that shortened version was the one released in the UK!

Check for new replies or respond here...