inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did hippie dies out?

Written By: youngerderek on 04/20/11 at 6:29 pm

Of course they never really did, but when did that psychedelic feel end?

Subject: Re: When did hippie dies out?

Written By: whistledog on 04/20/11 at 6:49 pm

My hippies are ready to die out.  Must be all that McDonalds food I eat.  It packs on the pounds :D

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/20/11 at 7:26 pm

The #1 factor that stymied the hippie movement - disillusionment.  Based on loose memory, I recall the fade started sometime around early '72-ish.  Around that time the 1970's started to firm up its own identity - although IMO 70's ideas had started transitioning in by late '68.  It was upon the psychedelic wave that the 60's rode its transition into the 70's.   8)

Written By: Shiv on 04/20/11 at 11:11 pm

Around 1977...the beginning of the disco era.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/21/11 at 12:24 am

It never really died.  It was a question of sheer numbers.  My dad and his friends were in the first wave vanguard of hippiedom in the early 1960s.  Then the Baby Boomers came of age and the whole movement university intellectuals started under the aegis of earlier muses from Allen Ginsberg to Buckminster Fuller bloomed into the Summer of Love (1967) and the fabled "Flower Children" of the Baby Boom generation proper.  Then the Boomers got out of college, started careers, and families, and found themselves too busy to protest and party. 

No doubt the economy and culture changed in the 1970s, but the serious believers kept on being hippies.  There was a commune down road from us in NH called "Another Place."  Stephen Gaskin kept The Farm going until it died from attrition in the early '80s. 

My older sister (b. 1963) wanted to be a hippie.  So did a lot of kids who joined organizations such as the Unitarian Church's LRY (Liberal Religious Youth).  And so they were.  There hippie and stoner cliques in most high schools and colleges...there still are in 2011.

The problem again was numbers.  The Baby Boomers were getting into their thirties and forties by 1980 and they simply had far fewer children than their parents. 

It is true, some turned cynical and became Wall Street yuppies and got co-opted into EST and/or Scientology and the whole Human Growth Potential Movement of the 1970s, which was a platform for egotism and selfish values.

That legendary Woodstock force with which the youth thought they would change the world with free love, good dope, and rock 'n' roll was short lived.  The moment of altruism and good will was left unguarded against the vagaries of hedonism and excess.  Worse yet, all that fun stuff got extremely exploited by commercial forces.  The spiritual and ideological end of it got deracinated and we were left with just a bunch of sex-crazed egomaniacal college kids on Ecstasy.  Hence, Woodstock '99. 

The guys my dad went to Brown and Harvard with in the 1960s are in their early '70s now.  They don't have long hair (heck, most of 'em are lucky to have any at all) and they don't dress like Wavy Gravy, but they're still wise, gentle, and benign forces in world.  My dad was sort of the odd man out among them, being a total prick. 

If I had to pick a specific time for the end of the hippie era, I'd pick the fall of 1980.  It was the one-two punch of the election of Ronald Reagan and the assassination of John Lennon. 

And of course, Angela Davis is still around...
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/fro.gif

Written By: youngerderek on 04/21/11 at 2:28 am

It's sad how old the hippies are getting. Soon (like within 25 or 30 years), there won't be any left among us.  :\'(

Written By: 80sfan on 04/21/11 at 3:14 am

Around the mid-70s I think.

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/21/11 at 6:26 am

Around the mid-70s I think.

This link sums up hippie's popularity pretty much to a T:
http://news.google.com/archivesearch?as_q=&num=10&hl=en&btnG=Search+Archives&as_epq=hippies&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_user_ldate=&as_user_hdate=&lr=&as_src=&as_price=p0&as_scoring=a

The punks seemed to be a suitable successor to hippies as well, as the earliest signs of what would become "punk" was borne out of the psychedelic movment. Hippies no doubt peaked in 1967-69 in popular usage if you go to the Google News Archive and search "hippies". Then the graph shows a decline in 1970, 1971, and 1972 so that by the time we get to 1973, hippies are pretty much a thing of the past, with a mild revival in the mid-to late '80s (it was quite mild with all the stuff we enjoy from the '80s nowadays overshadowing it) with the '60s nostalgia wave and a smaller, secondary revival since about 2005 as this generation is approaching the "Grandfather's time". Either way, hippies have, and probably will never be as prominent as they were from 1967-69, and to a lesser degree, 1970 and 1971. It's been a bygone era ever since the punk/disco scene took over.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/21/11 at 7:56 am

http://news.google.com/archivesearch?as_q=&num=10&hl=en&btnG=Search+Archives&as_epq=hippies&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_user_ldate=&as_user_hdate=&lr=&as_src=&as_price=p0&as_scoring=a

The punks seemed to be a suitable successor to hippies as well, as the earliest signs of what would become "punk" was borne out of the psychedelic movment. Hippies no doubt peaked in 1967-69 in popular usage if you go to the Google News Archive and search "hippies". Then the graph shows a decline in 1970, 1971, and 1972 so that by the time we get to 1973, hippies are pretty much a thing of the past, with a mild revival in the mid-to late '80s (it was quite mild with all the stuff we enjoy from the '80s nowadays overshadowing it) with the '60s nostalgia wave and a smaller, secondary revival since about 2005 as this generation is approaching the "Grandfather's time". Either way, hippies have, and probably will never be as prominent as they were from 1967-69, and to a lesser degree, 1970 and 1971. It's been a bygone era ever since the punk/disco scene took over.

You know it's interesting, I used to believe the '70s was just like kind of a second '60s, but really the two decades are not only quite different, but the '70s actually began pretty early on too. You can see traces of what would become the Seventies as far back as 1968 (think of Sly and the Family Stone's "Dance to the Music") and I would say by 1971 or 1972 it became the dominant culture. The disco era is really just a part of the '70s, the Brady Bunch era of 1970-1974 is just as much 70s, though it certainly does overlap in some regards with the sixties.

Written By: Shiv on 04/21/11 at 12:29 pm

It's sad how old the hippies are getting. Soon (like within 25 or 30 years), there won't be any left among us.  :\'(

Psh, there were still plenty of hippie kids in my high school, and that was 2005-2009.

Written By: Hud on 04/21/11 at 9:34 pm

I'm normally too lazy to take 15 secs to look up a definition and this is no exception, but suffice to say that in my mind a hippie represents drugs, long hair, hip-hugger big-bell-bottoms (poster boy Robert Plant), psychedelic everything (acid, lava lamps and black light posters make for one fun eve, I guess), disillusioned, idealistic, peace-loving (apologies to Manson clan for that slur), tree-hugging, anything goes as long as you don't hurt someone on purpose folk that hate The Man and authority until reality sets in and catches up and they begin to (ugh! wretch vomit) conform and head back into the flow of civilization and pop culture they were repulsed by during the phase. There is still the "baseball camp" of Burning Man, however.
Some in their teens and twenties just seem prone to believing a certain philosophy is original and untried until they get older and wiser and realize it's just another version of rebellion in a different era that never quite seems to endure.
In a nutshell, to me, the true hippie era peaked in the late '60's and was fast waning by the mid '70's.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/21/11 at 11:42 pm

Charlie Manson was not a hippie.  He was a Beatnik.  He said so himself.
::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/22/11 at 1:18 am

Hippies do not die, they just fade away.

Written By: dave on 04/24/11 at 4:12 pm

Psh, there were still plenty of hippie kids in my high school, and that was 2005-2009.

Ya, I went to high school from 2004-2008. OK, if u meant those liberal ******s who hung out at Starbucks, smoked cigarets, and listened to Arcade Fire, then yes I went to high school with them too! But I also knew a few "hippies" who had long hair, did a lot of shrooms, but they all lived within the confines of their parent's home and rules!

Written By: Shiv on 04/24/11 at 7:36 pm

Ya, I went to high school from 2004-2008. OK, if u meant those liberal ******s who hung out at Starbucks, smoked cigarets, and listened to Arcade Fire, then yes I went to high school with them too! But I also knew a few "hippies" who had long hair, did a lot of shrooms, but they all lived within the confines of their parent's home and rules!

Those are hipsters. They're basically an updated form of hippie so I guess they count too.

Written By: SuperDude526 on 05/05/11 at 3:07 pm

Politically I'm somewhere between SDS and the hippies, if that counts. :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/14 at 11:22 am

Should this topic read as:

When did hippies die out?

Written By: Howard on 05/27/14 at 7:20 pm

between 1975-1980

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/14 at 1:28 pm

between 1975-1980
Old hippies never die!

Written By: Howard on 05/30/14 at 7:36 pm

I think it was after the Vietnam War.

Written By: tv on 05/31/15 at 11:58 pm

I think the "hippie-revival" was more of a 1988-1989 thing.

Written By: Howard on 06/01/15 at 6:57 am

https://sixties-social-movements-3.wikispaces.com/file/view/1960s-Hippies-Fashion-300x261.jpg/312188006/1960s-Hippies-Fashion-300x261.jpg

It first started in the 1960's.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/01/15 at 12:10 pm

https://sixties-social-movements-3.wikispaces.com/file/view/1960s-Hippies-Fashion-300x261.jpg/312188006/1960s-Hippies-Fashion-300x261.jpg

It first started in the 1960's.

Around 1964/1965.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/01/15 at 12:52 pm

Peace, Flowers, Freedom, Happiness!

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/15 at 12:57 pm

Cat
Summer of Love, 1967!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/01/15 at 1:43 pm

Summer of Love, 1967!

I was wondering if anyone would get my reference-and it wasn't the "Summer of Love"-though that could have been the influence to my reference.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 06/01/15 at 2:08 pm

Around 1964/1965.

I would say so too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/15 at 3:55 pm

Cat
Hare Krishna?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/02/15 at 11:56 am

Hare Krishna?

Sort of. I was trying to find the original (which is called "Be-In" but I couldn't.  :\'(  )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LTf-E7jv3g

BTW, the original Broadway album is SOOOOO much better if you have the desire and/or time to listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYjz7gxo8k4

Cat

Written By: Howard on 06/02/15 at 2:16 pm

Hare Krishna?

What is a Hare Krishna? ???

Written By: Howard on 06/02/15 at 2:19 pm

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z358/squidoodle/Clip%20Art%20Peace%20Signs/Peace-Sign-Clip-Art.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/02/15 at 2:26 pm

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z358/squidoodle/Clip%20Art%20Peace%20Signs/Peace-Sign-Clip-Art.jpg
First designed in 1958 and is used today for Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/02/15 at 3:09 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hare_Krishna_%28mantra%29

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/03/15 at 4:26 am

It is the religion George Harrison took up when the Beatles took a break between concerts and recording in 1967.

Written By: Howard on 06/03/15 at 2:24 pm

First designed in 1958 and is used today for Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament.

and hippies used to wear them as a necklace.

Written By: Howard on 06/03/15 at 2:26 pm

http://www.bcswami.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/IMG-20111230-00738.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/15 at 6:22 am

and hippies used to wear them as a necklace.
If it was not
http://www.fastfancydress.co.uk/templates/imagedirectory/metal%20hippie%20lg.jpg

It was
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-rUwVLE7k5Ts/Ti25OOrJVKI/AAAAAAAAAF4/eJnUK2mRjU4/s1600/My+Necklaces+006.JPG

Written By: Howard on 06/04/15 at 2:10 pm

http://www.fastfancydress.co.uk/templates/imagedirectory/metal%20hippie%20lg.jpg
That's a cool necklace.

Written By: Howard on 06/04/15 at 2:11 pm

https://meanredsniceblues.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/hippies11.jpg?w=500&h=300

Written By: #Infinity on 06/08/15 at 8:42 pm

Probably sometime in 1973, since the Paris Peace Accord was signed that year, stripping the counter-culture of their Vietnam War to protest.  Also, disco first became popular during the early part of the year with the success of Love Train, shifting the youth population away from the protest gatherings and instead towards the discotheques.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/08/15 at 10:41 pm

Towards the end of the 20th century, a trend of "cyber hippies" emerged, that embraced some of the qualities of the 1960s psychedelic counterculture. The hippie subculture is also linked to the psychedelic trance or psytrance scene, born out of the Goa scene in India

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/09/15 at 8:17 pm

A couple of "hippies" references from 70's culture:

1972: James Brown song "Get On The Good Foot" - "Said the long hair hippies and the afro blacks\They all get together across the tracks\And they party..."

At that time, I thought of "long haired hippies" as being cool  8)

1976: Movie "Silver Streak" -  "Does this look as if we're stopping?" "No, the hell it don't!" "I better go pull the emergency cord." "The emergency cords have been cut!" "Damn hippies!!!"

Conversely at that time, I thought of "hippies" as a joke, not cool at all  ???

What a difference 4 years made  ;D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/09/15 at 9:38 pm

What do you mean "die out". What do you call all those skateboarders in Cali with those things they call dreadlocks...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rV2GhS7ndcY/UWhtb2Zm_GI/AAAAAAAABRs/O3mrH_7pfHc/s1600/Dreadlocks2.jpg

Those ain''t dreads, but God bless them for trying...

Written By: Howard on 06/10/15 at 2:22 pm

I would say the end of 1967.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/15 at 2:23 pm

I would say the end of 1967.
How can you then account for the hippies that attended Woodstock in 1969?

Written By: Howard on 06/11/15 at 3:28 pm

How can you then account for the hippies that attended Woodstock in 1969?

That was one website mentioned, 1967.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/08/15 at 11:20 pm

It never really died.  It was a question of sheer numbers.  My dad and his friends were in the first wave vanguard of hippiedom in the early 1960s.  Then the Baby Boomers came of age and the whole movement university intellectuals started under the aegis of earlier muses from Allen Ginsberg to Buckminster Fuller bloomed into the Summer of Love (1967) and the fabled "Flower Children" of the Baby Boom generation proper.  Then the Boomers got out of college, started careers, and families, and found themselves too busy to protest and party. 

No doubt the economy and culture changed in the 1970s, but the serious believers kept on being hippies.  There was a commune down road from us in NH called "Another Place."  Stephen Gaskin kept The Farm going until it died from attrition in the early '80s. 

My older sister (b. 1963) wanted to be a hippie.  So did a lot of kids who joined organizations such as the Unitarian Church's LRY (Liberal Religious Youth).  And so they were.  There hippie and stoner cliques in most high schools and colleges...there still are in 2011.

If you're out there, I think you'd enjoy the following write-up on the rise and fall of hippie culture, including photographs from someone who was in the middle of it: 

In 1967, just after the Summer of Love, The Atlantic published “The Flowering of the Hippies,” a profile of San Francisco’s new youth culture. “Almost the first point of interest about the hippies was that they were middle-class American children to the bone,” the author noted. “To citizens inclined to alarm this was the thing most maddening, that these were not Negroes disaffected by color or immigrants by strangeness but boys and girls with white skins from the right side of the economy ... After regular educations, if only they’d want them, they could commute to fine jobs from the suburbs, and own nice houses with bathrooms, where they could shave and wash up.”

A middle-class boy from the right side of the economy: That was my mother’s cousin Joe Samberg. When they were growing up, she spent every Thanksgiving at his family’s home in the upscale Long Island suburb of Roslyn Heights. His father was a successful businessman who, somewhat incongruously, had far-left sympathies. Throughout the 1960s, Joe and his four brothers became more and more radical. Two of the Samberg boys eventually went down to Cuba to cut sugar cane for Castro’s revolution.

In 1969, when Joe was 22, he moved out to California. By then, the Haight-Ashbury scene described in the Atlantic article had mostly migrated across the bay to Berkeley’s Telegraph Avenue. Rents were a little cheaper there, and for those who couldn’t pay rent at all, the weather was a little warmer. The college town was also more sympathetic to the long-haired kids who crowded the sidewalks day and night—talking, protesting, kissing, dancing, fighting, and taking lots and lots of drugs.

- Jennie Rothenberg Gritz, The Death of the Hippies, July 8, 2015.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/09/15 at 12:29 am

I thought they were all the skateboarders in California...

Written By: Howard on 07/09/15 at 7:33 am

There weren't any hippie skateboarders in the 1960's.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/23/15 at 8:11 am

I think the hippie culture started to die out in the early 70s, when disco culture started to fade in.

Written By: Howard on 07/23/15 at 3:29 pm

I think the hippie culture started to die out in the early 70s, when disco culture started to fade in.

I think you're right, people were starting to fade away from hippie culture and more into a new era.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/23/15 at 6:35 pm

That's a cool necklace.

I think I had one like that.

Cat

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/23/15 at 6:43 pm

LAWL! Having hippies as skateboarders is pretty cool, man.

Check for new replies or respond here...