inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rare Sex Pistols disc is 'most valuable vinyl'

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/22/11 at 2:06 am

A rare recording of God Save the Queen by the Sex Pistols has been named the most valuable vinyl disc of all time, with experts saying it is worth £8,000.

The single was originally produced by A&M Records. But the group were dropped before it was released and most of the copies were destroyed.

Record Collector magazine have compiled a list of the 51 most collectible vinyl records.

The Rolling Stones and the Beatles both feature in the top five.

"There is something of an investment market in mint-condition copies of iconic albums," said Record Collector editor Ian McCann.

"The problem is people love them and play them to death, making it increasingly rare to find them in mint condition."

The Beatles' Please Please Me on the Black and Gold label is ranked in second place with an estimated value of £3,500, while the Rolling Stones self-titled debut record from 1964 - valued at £1,000 - is fifth.

Between them on the countdown are jazz saxophonist Hank Mobley's self-titled album from 1957 and rocker Wil Malone's own self-titled release from 1970.

The prices are based on an assessment by the magazine but there are examples of individual records fetching higher values at auctions in the past.

In 2009, a rare copy of unreleased 1965 single Do I Love You (Indeed I Do) by Frank Wilson was sold for £25,742.

Subject: Re: Rare Sex Pistols disc is 'most valuable vinyl'

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/22/11 at 6:58 am

How about some of the "least valuable vinyl?"

Besides records that are scratched (unless if highly rare), I find the majority of vinyl albums only sell for around $1 in decent condition (more for hard rock/rare soul, less for country/most east listening). I have a 45 record collection of over 15,000 singles (almost all different) and have a couple dozen rare "Northern Soul" 45s totalling around $2000 there, but most stuff is only worth around 15-35 cents, depending on the artist/era. I also have over 1,000 picture sleeves. I only have around 500 LPs, however and around 200 78s, many from the 1910s and 1920s. With 45-playing jukeboxes pretty much antiques nowadays and turntables still in production, the lure of cover art/liner notes will continue to draw interest.

Check for new replies or respond here...