inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Book

Written By: JohnnyVirgil on 05/04/11 at 9:00 pm

I'm not sure if this is allowed or not, since I haven't been here all that long, but I thought some people here might enjoy this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0615386938/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=12AVQ261XEH82TEC1QTN&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Subject: Re: Book

Written By: snozberries on 05/04/11 at 10:43 pm

Just a suggestion. You might want to post a pic of the book and tell people something about it. Start a dialogue. Did you read it? Did you enjoy it? Why? Etc.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/11 at 1:27 am

I wonder who wrote the book?

Written By: snozberries on 05/05/11 at 2:06 am

I wonder who wrote the book?

I didn't look at that. Wasn't really interested enough.  Did he write the book?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/11 at 2:07 am

I didn't look at that. Wasn't really interested enough.  Did he write the book?
His name is on the cover, unless it has been ghostwritten.

Written By: snozberries on 05/05/11 at 2:09 am

His name is on the cover, unless it has been ghostwritten.

I guess he did write the book. He really should a better job at promoting himself  ;D

Hey guys I wrote this really cool book about whatever his book is about if you're interested it's actually available on amazon.  Etc

Written By: lorac61469 on 05/05/11 at 9:29 am

I did read the first chapter.  Looks like it would be pretty funny.  Now I need to find the story you wrote about the JC Penny's catalog.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/11 at 9:56 am

This book was published in April last year, and can it be that sells of this book be falling?

Written By: snozberries on 05/05/11 at 12:51 pm

This book was published in April last year, and can it be that sells of this book be falling?

Perhaps. I think this would be great opportunity to get us excited about the book. Get us talking about it and entice us to read it. Maybe he'll come back and do that. Or maybe carol will tell us about she read or the jc penny thing if she finds it.

Written By: lorac61469 on 05/06/11 at 7:14 am

Perhaps. I think this would be great opportunity to get us excited about the book. Get us talking about it and entice us to read it. Maybe he'll come back and do that. Or maybe carol will tell us about she read or the jc penny thing if she finds it.

I found Johnny Virgil's blog and it really is quite funny (he does have the website in his profile).  The JC Penney Catalog stuff made me have flash backs to my childhood.

As far as the book goes, I think I'm gonna go to Books-A-Millions and see if they have it, unless my friend Johnny wants to send me one and then I can really promote it.  :D  Just kidding Johnny.    ;D

Written By: snozberries on 05/06/11 at 11:07 am

I found Johnny Virgil's blog and it really is quite funny (he does have the website in his profile).  The JC Penney Catalog stuff made me have flash backs to my childhood.

As far as the book goes, I think I'm gonna go to Books-A-Millions and see if they have it, unless my friend Johnny wants to send me one and then I can really promote it.   :D  Just kidding Johnny.    ;D

I like the way you think... I wish I had time to read I just don't....

Written By: JohnnyVirgil on 05/25/11 at 7:58 pm

Yep, I wrote it.  I wasn't trying to hide that fact, just wasn't sure if I was allowed to post a link or not.  I actually published it in December of last year.  Sales are pretty good, actually!  Couple hundred a month, which equates to about nothing in real dollars since amazon takes 70% of the $2 Kindle cover price.  I only sell about 20 copies of the print version a month.   I just thought you guys might like it.  Huh. I guess I do suck at self-promotion.  :)  I was a free-range kid growing up in surburbia in the late 60's and early 70's.  It was a pretty great time to be a kid, I think.  Anyway, check it out it you grew up under similar circumstances -- you might think it's funny.

I actually just stopped in to see if you guys could remember the name of a particular toy I had that I've been trying to track down, but that's a topic for a different post.  

Written By: snozberries on 05/26/11 at 12:24 am

Yep, I wrote it.  I wasn't trying to hide that fact, just wasn't sure if I was allowed to post a link or not.  I actually published it in December of last year.  Sales are pretty good, actually!  Couple hundred a month, which equates to about nothing in real dollars since amazon takes 70% of the $2 Kindle cover price.  I only sell about 20 copies of the print version a month.   I just thought you guys might like it.  Huh. I guess I do suck at self-promotion.  :)  I was a free-range kid growing up in surburbia in the late 60's and early 70's.  It was a pretty great time to be a kid, I think.  Anyway, check it out it you grew up under similar circumstances -- you might think it's funny.

I actually just stopped in to see if you guys could remember the name of a particular toy I had that I've been trying to track down, but that's a topic for a different post.  

Well congrats! And good luck with future sales. Sux that amazon takes so much it's still cool tho!

Please post the link for your toy thread here in case I missed it.
Never mind. Found it. Looks like it got answered.

Written By: JohnnyVirgil on 05/26/11 at 3:57 am

Thanks Snoz! Hey, do you have a Kindle by any chance?  I could send you a copy if you want.

Written By: lorac61469 on 05/26/11 at 10:00 am

Thanks Snoz! Hey, do you have a Kindle by any chance?  I could send you a copy if you want.

HEYYYYYY!!!  >:( What about me, I was the one who actually read some of it on-line. 

Everyone else was like "Did he write the book?...Blah-blah-blah".  "Sales must be bad, blah-blah-blah!!".

I even read your blog...Penney's catalog, strange boss, towel animals in the hotel, eye-ball stickers  ::).

I sound like a total whacko for remembering this stuff. ;D :D ;D

I'm just kidding but if I had Kindle I would hit you up for a copy.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 05/26/11 at 12:13 pm

That'd be awesome... I have an iPad with a Kindle app....does that count?  :)

Written By: snozberries on 05/26/11 at 12:14 pm

HEYYYYYY!!!  >:( What about me, I was the one who actually read some of it on-line. 

Everyone else was like "Did he write the book?...Blah-blah-blah".  "Sales must be bad, blah-blah-blah!!".

I even read your blog...Penney's catalog, strange boss, towel animals in the hotel, eye-ball stickers  ::).

I sound like a total whacko for remembering this stuff. ;D :D ;D

I'm just kidding but if I had Kindle I would hit you up for a copy.  ;D

Carol was totally responsible for me being interested in the book!  8) O0

Written By: JohnnyVirgil on 05/26/11 at 2:12 pm

Ha! I got you guys confused.  No kindle?  What about an iphone or itouch? The kindle reader for your PC?  I'll still send you one. :)

Written By: JohnnyVirgil on 05/26/11 at 2:14 pm

That'd be awesome... I have an iPad with a Kindle app....does that count?  :)

Yeah, that totally counts!  Your email address seems to be "hidden" though....

Written By: snozberries on 05/26/11 at 2:19 pm

Yeah, that totally counts!  Your email address seems to be "hidden" though....

I'll PM you..

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/30/11 at 6:04 pm

Way cool. Just wondering, did you get a publisher or did you self-publish? My sister just came out with her 4th book that she decided to self-publish this time around-which means she needs to do the self-promotion, too. That is all the part of being a published author.

BTW, why don't you stick around here for awhile. We don't bite....hard.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 05/31/11 at 3:57 pm

I am currently sitting on a sidewalk in Becerly Hills, waiting for a Paley Event, and I have been reading your book.
The chapter 'The Artist Formerly Known As....' has me laughing so hard I started crying. Then I started choking. Now I can't breathe so I decided to take a break and tell how much I'm enjoying your book. I never read any more. Ever. I'm glad I made an exception for you! 

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/01/11 at 4:16 pm

I am currently sitting on a sidewalk in Becerly Hills, waiting for a Paley Event, and I have been reading your book.
The chapter 'The Artist Formerly Known As....' has me laughing so hard I started crying. Then I started choking. Now I can't breathe so I decided to take a break and tell how much I'm enjoying your book. I never read any more. Ever. I'm glad I made an exception for you!   

Funny, huh?  I can't wait to read it.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 06/01/11 at 6:01 pm

Funny, huh?  I can't wait to read it.   :)

It really is...

Written By: danootaandme on 06/01/11 at 6:17 pm

It was good enough to be published, one of our own in the big time.  Congrats and stick around, you could write a book about some of crap that goes on here and you couldn't ask for a better cast of characters.

Written By: JohnnyVirgil on 06/01/11 at 7:08 pm

Thanks Snoz. Sorry about the choking. :)

Way cool. Just wondering, did you get a publisher or did you self-publish? My sister just came out with her 4th book that she decided to self-publish this time around-which means she needs to do the self-promotion, too. That is all the part of being a published author.

BTW, why don't you stick around here for awhile. We don't bite....hard.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

I did self-publish, with the hope of maybe getting lucky and catching the eye of Amazon Encore.  They cherry pick the books they think will sell, and then put some marketing money and promotion behind them. Hasn't happened yet, but who knows.  People of "our" generation really seem to connect with it.  And there's a LOT of us.

Funny, huh?  I can't wait to read it.  :)

Should go out tomorrow. So according to the magic of modern snail mail, you should have it in 2 to 9 days.  I like how they give themselves some breathing room, like the cable guy.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/01/11 at 9:38 pm

I think I'll add this to my list of books to buy when I get caught up on bills and auto repair.  I have a couple on my list already, a high school friend of mine fairly recently self-published a novel called "Bum magnet" which sounds promising.  Also would like to get a couple of our other "resident author" 80sTrivMeister, Mike has published several books that I intend on buying at some point.

Written By: snozberries on 06/01/11 at 11:18 pm

Thanks Snoz. Sorry about the choking. :)

I did self-publish, with the hope of maybe getting lucky and catching the eye of Amazon Encore.  They cherry pick the books they think will sell, and then put some marketing money and promotion behind them. Hasn't happened yet, but who knows.  People of "our" generation really seem to connect with it.  And there's a LOT of us.

Should go out tomorrow. So according to the magic of modern snail mail, you should have it in 2 to 9 days.  I like how they give themselves some breathing room, like the cable guy.

I survived the choking....just barely but I managed....mostly tho it's the laughing till I cried part that got me. I haven't done that in YEARS!!!!

one of these days I'll have to pick your brain about self publishing...the how-tos and the cost etc. I have been toying with the idea but have yet to put paper to pen  finger to keyboard......  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 06/01/11 at 11:25 pm

I have officially shared it with my 265 friends on Facebook!  ;)

Twitter here I come.... well I'll do that tomorrow when more people are awake to see the tweet!

Written By: JohnnyVirgil on 06/03/11 at 4:56 am

I have officially shared it with my 265 friends on Facebook!  ;)

Twitter here I come.... well I'll do that tomorrow when more people are awake to see the tweet!

Wow, thanks.  What's your twitter name?  I'm @johnnyvirgil

Written By: snozberries on 06/03/11 at 6:13 pm

Wow, thanks.  What's your twitter name?  I'm @johnnyvirgil

@snozberries44  one of my friends just told me via FB that she bought the book. so that's one sale!!!  8)  ;D

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/07/11 at 4:42 pm

Got the book today...If you have more artwork from your childhood you need to do an entire book of just that.  I didn't choke but I had tears rolling down my face.

Thanks so much!!  I'll be finished in no time.  :\'(

Written By: JohnnyVirgil on 06/08/11 at 11:01 pm

Glad it got there in one piece!  I'm happy to know you got a laugh out of it.   :)

Written By: loki 13 on 01/01/12 at 4:52 pm

My daughter gave me an e-reader for Christmas and this was the first book I bought for it. I am
glad I did for it's a freaking riot. Seldom will a book make me laugh out loud, it is usually a small
chortle but parts of this one had me laughing hysterically. Very good job!!!

Written By: snozberries on 01/01/12 at 5:31 pm

My daughter gave me an e-reader for Christmas and this was the first book I bought for it. I am
glad I did for it's a freaking riot. Seldom will a book make me laugh out loud, it is usually a small
chortle but parts of this one had me laughing hysterically. Very good job!!!

I know right? It's super funny... a couple of my co-workers got it and are enjoying it as well.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/01/12 at 6:35 pm

I know right? It's super funny... a couple of my co-workers got it and are enjoying it as well.

I can relate to a lot of the stories, to this day we put a construction paper angel I colored in the first
grade on our tree. As well as a water cup alterboy and a baby food jar snowglobe. I think what makes
it really funny is that we can see ourselves in the story.

The Boy is reading now and he too is laughing so it does span the generations.

Written By: snozberries on 01/01/12 at 6:44 pm

I can relate to a lot of the stories, to this day we put a construction paper angel I colored in the first
grade on our tree. As well as a water cup alterboy and a baby food jar snowglobe. I think what makes
it really funny is that we can see ourselves in the story.

The Boy is reading now and he too is laughing so it does span the generations.

that's awesome.

I'm a girl... i was a tomboy but still a girl... mostly I just spent my time laughing at how stupid boys are  ;D

Written By: loki 13 on 01/01/12 at 7:03 pm

that's awesome.

I'm a girl... i was a tomboy but still a girl... mostly I just spent my time laughing at how stupid boys are  ;D

Yeah, I always thought the things we did were brave a daring and impressed the girls but as I got older I
realized we were just idiots and put here for your amusment.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/01/12 at 7:07 pm

Yeah, I always thought the things we did were brave a daring and impressed the girls but as I got older I
realized we were just idiots and put here for your amusment.  ;D

with age comes much wisdom.... unless you're a dude then you just get some... you seem to have gotten more than most. lol

Written By: karen on 01/02/12 at 10:59 am

A tough question for people to answer.

How US based would you say the book is? 

Written By: snozberries on 01/02/12 at 11:10 am

actually I don't think it is us based. It's mostly about the childhood of a mischevious and adventurous boy. While some of the stuff he talks about are nostalgic and there are pop culture references I'm inclined to say the experiences themselves are universal and there are plenty of pics/illustrations to accommodate what might be unfamiliar.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/02/12 at 11:20 am

If you click on the link it will take you to Amazon. There is a place under the photo that says, "Search inside this book" and it will give you a sample of it-and you can judge for yourself.

Cat

Written By: Little_devil_rider on 01/06/12 at 11:02 pm

:D I just finished the book. It's was really good. I laughed so much. The art work, first boob, or the go kart was the best to me. And it's really funny how most of this book reminded me of my dads stories from his childhood.

Check for new replies or respond here...