inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: weird fad memory..

Written By: JohnnyVirgil on 06/03/11 at 4:55 am

OK, this may be something that happened just in my school, but I think somewhere in the late 60's/early 70's everyone was making these swirly bottles.  Right now I can't even think of how they were made, but kids used to make them and sell them.  They would take a clear jar and put something in it (silver or gold ink and colored water?)  -- I really have no idea -- but then when you were done you'd have this bottle of "stuff" that you could swirl around and it would generate all these weird patterns in the liquid.  I know the two substances didn't mix, so when it just sat there all the silver or gold would settle out to the bottom of the bottle.  Does anyone remember doing this or am I just nuts?

Subject: Re: weird fad memory..

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/11 at 8:01 pm

OK, this may be something that happened just in my school, but I think somewhere in the late 60's/early 70's everyone was making these swirly bottles.  Right now I can't even think of how they were made, but kids used to make them and sell them.  They would take a clear jar and put something in it (silver or gold ink and colored water?)  -- I really have no idea -- but then when you were done you'd have this bottle of "stuff" that you could swirl around and it would generate all these weird patterns in the liquid.  I know the two substances didn't mix, so when it just sat there all the silver or gold would settle out to the bottom of the bottle.  Does anyone remember doing this or am I just nuts?

I remember those, but I don't remember what they were called.

My sister had one on her window sill.  She made it art class.  I knocked it off the sill by accident while the window was open with no screen.  It hit the porch roof below and rolled off, smashing on the cement steps below.  Boy, was she pissed!

http://c1.craftingagreenworld.com/files/2010/06/Sand-Art-in-Recycled-Containers.jpg

Written By: Claybricks on 06/04/11 at 8:25 am

According to some Google searching, it's called Genie Bottles or Hippie Swirls

Hippie Swirls

http://teenprograms.pbworks.com/w/page/20404845/HippieSwirls

Genie Bottles

"When I was in first grade (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth; 70's), I remember a craft our teacher did with us. We kids each brought in a clear cleaned glass bottle (mine was a Wishbone salad dressing bottle) and the teacher put a quantity of something she wouldn't let us touch (I think it was a "magic powder" but it might have been a liquid), let us add a couple drops of color of our choice, and then the bottle was filled with liquid (water? I don't remember) and sealed. The fluid inside was opaque, pearlescent, and swirled like magic smoke, sort of silver metallic tinted with the chosen color. You could turn it over and shake it and whatever and it would keep making swirls, rather than homogenizing. We called them "Genie Bottles"."

"I think you're talking about a liquid used to demonstrate Brownian Motion. I seem to recall that it's some kind of fish scales/scale powder in suspension with food coloring. Hope that helps."

http://ask.metafilter.com/140926/70s-Genie-Bottles-of-DEATH

Make Your Own Bubbling Lava Lamp

http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/experiment/00000035

Make Your Own Lava Lamp

http://www.oozinggoo.com/howto.html

Dan

Written By: JohnnyVirgil on 06/05/11 at 11:01 am

Thanks! I tried googling it, but never thought to google "hippie swirls"  I have no recollection of what was actually in them.  I know it probably wasn't good for you.  Genie Bottle sounds familiar.  I'm thinking that may be what we called them. 

Written By: Claybricks on 06/05/11 at 2:41 pm

Thanks! I tried googling it, but never thought to google "hippie swirls"  I have no recollection of what was actually in them.  I know it probably wasn't good for you.  Genie Bottle sounds familiar.  I'm thinking that may be what we called them. 

In your descripton, you stated "everyone was making these swirly bottles" and everyone back then was a hippie! lol

Dan

Written By: Jana on 06/11/11 at 10:53 am

I had some of this "stuff" and will try to research what it was and come back to post later. 

Written By: JohnnyVirgil on 06/11/11 at 11:31 am

I think I remember metallic ink and maybe turpentine or rubbing alcohol?  They were probably just a rag away from being a molotov cocktail.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/21/11 at 1:44 pm

I remember those. We used to make them at fairs.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...