inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Question About The Brady Bunch...

Written By: apollonia1986 on 08/21/11 at 11:43 am

Hey Y'all.

I grew up watching reruns of The Brady Bunch--thanks to TVland--and I was wondering about something. I know it's a blended family with Carol marrying Mike with her 3 kids. Did they ever say what Carol's name was before she became a Brady? Random, I know, but I was curious.

Thank you!

Subject: Re: Question About The Brady Bunch...

Written By: King Tut on 08/21/11 at 12:12 pm

Hi,
Good question. Her maiden name was Tyler. Her first husband's last name was Martin.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 08/22/11 at 7:11 pm

Thank you Tut!  :) I didn't even knowthey had ever mentioned her name.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/23/11 at 10:29 pm

Hi,
Good question. Her maiden name was Tyler. Her first husband's last name was Martin.

Why did the old man dump her?
???

Written By: King Tut on 08/23/11 at 11:21 pm

Why did the old man dump her?
???

I think he died. Effective way to dump someone  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/23/11 at 11:36 pm

I think he died. Effective way to dump someone  :D

What about Mike's first wife?  Maybe she didn't like him donning the ballerina costume and dancing under the light of the gibbous moon, but Carol dug it, thought it was a real turn-on!
???

Written By: King Tut on 08/23/11 at 11:52 pm

What about Mike's first wife?  Maybe she didn't like him donning the ballerina costume and dancing under the light of the gibbous moon, but Carol dug it, thought it was a real turn-on!
???

She also died. No reason was provided as to why.
Maybe one day she came home, found the ballerina costume and some polaroids of him and (?) dancing under the light of the gibbous moon. Potential suicide?  ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/24/11 at 1:23 am

She also died. No reason was provided as to why.
Maybe one day she came home, found the ballerina costume and some polaroids of him and (?) dancing under the light of the gibbous moon. Potential suicide?  ???

They both died?  Maybe the Burbank smallpox epidemic of 1967?  Same one that got Mr. Eddie's Father's wife?
???

Written By: Ellen on 09/25/11 at 8:35 am

They both died?  Maybe the Burbank smallpox epidemic of 1967?  Same one that got Mr. Eddie's Father's wife?
???

The creators of the show had to portray Mike and Carol as widowers because divorce was way too controversial back then!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/11 at 4:50 pm

The creators of the show had to portray Mike and Carol as widowers because divorce was way too controversial back then!

Controversial, but on the rise. 

It was not explicitly stated Mike and Carol were widowers.  The Bradys looked like more and more families in the 1970s...even if their problems were solvable in 23 1/2 minutes!

Now children watching the Brady Bunch would assume Mike and Carol were never married in the first place!
::)

Written By: King Tut on 09/25/11 at 8:17 pm

Other shows during that time which had single parents as widowers.

- Julia
- The Courtship of Eddie's Father
- The Doris Day Show

First TV show where a main character was divorced..Was it Maude?  :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/11 at 11:52 pm

- Julia
- The Doris Day Show

Sanford & Son

Written By: Davester on 10/02/11 at 11:13 pm

Controversial, but on the rise. 

And finally, reluctantly accepted.  Or maybe grappled with - Alice, One Day At A Time.  Single mothers as the heroes...

Now children watching the Brady Bunch would assume Mike and Carol were never married in the first place!
::)

The "hook-up", or is that term outdated..?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/11 at 7:13 am

Carol topped Alice.
:-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/03/11 at 11:58 am

- Julia
- The Doris Day Show

The Ghost & Mrs. Muir.

Cat

Written By: King Tut on 10/03/11 at 12:15 pm

The Ghost & Mrs. Muir.

Cat

That's right! Missed that one  :-\\
Wonderful show.  You probably watched Dark Shadows during the day and (a much less scarier) Ghost of Mrs Muir at night.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/03/11 at 12:48 pm

That's right! Missed that one  :-\\
Wonderful show.  You probably watched Dark Shadows during the day and (a much less scarier) Ghost of Mrs Muir at night.

As a kid, I loved the Ghost & Mrs. Muir. As an adult, I FINALLY saw the original movie and just LOVED it. Now, I'm sure if I were to see the series, it just couldn't stack up against the original movie.

Cat

Written By: King Tut on 10/03/11 at 1:03 pm

As a kid, I loved the Ghost & Mrs. Muir. As an adult, I FINALLY saw the original movie and just LOVED it. Now, I'm sure if I were to see the series, it just couldn't stack up against the original movie.

Cat

Going a little off topic here, but I know you like Harry Nilsson. Here he is on the TV show "Ghost & Mrs. Muir."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhr3zbAvljg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/03/11 at 1:18 pm

Going a little off topic here, but I know you like Harry Nilsson. Here he is on the TV show "Ghost & Mrs. Muir."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhr3zbAvljg

I saw that clip not too long ago-can't remember where. Karma for remembering that I like Harry Nilsson.

Oops, owe you some karma.

Cat

Written By: King Tut on 10/03/11 at 3:23 pm

Karma for remembering that I like Harry Nilsson.

Cat

Sure, I remember that. You like Harry Nilsson, Pat Benatar, Dark Shadows and (some others I forgot :-\\)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/03/11 at 5:10 pm

Sure, I remember that. You like Harry Nilsson, Pat Benatar, Dark Shadows and (some others I forgot :-\\)

Bill Bixby.

Cat

Written By: King Tut on 10/03/11 at 8:05 pm

Bill Bixby.

Cat

Mr. Eddie's father.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/11 at 9:49 pm

Cat

See, if they could show stuff like the Ghost & Mrs. Muir on TV Land instead of rolling over the Andy Griffith show again and again, I might watch!
:)

Written By: King Tut on 10/03/11 at 11:26 pm

See, if they could show stuff like the Ghost & Mrs. Muir on TV Land instead of rolling over the Andy Griffith show again and again, I might watch!
:)

Max, you never saw this episode?

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/2/14/128790975754021547.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/11 at 11:33 pm

Max, you never saw this episode?

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/2/14/128790975754021547.jpg

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/happy1.gif

Could never quite figure Andy.  He had that one lady friend for a long time, but they didn't seem to do much other'n hold hands and go out for ice cream.  I guess maybe my relationships will last longer if I never go further than that!
8)

Written By: King Tut on 10/03/11 at 11:38 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/happy1.gif

Could never quite figure Andy.  He had that one lady friend for a long time, but they didn't seem to do much other'n hold hands and go out for ice cream.  I guess maybe my relationships will last longer if I never go further than that!
8)

It was a family show. Do ya think Aunt Bea would approve if Andy went "9 1/2 weeks" on her?  8)

Andy was a widow. I think he killed her and because of his position sheriff, he kept the murder under wraps. Who else is gonna figure it out? Barney Fife?
Floyd the Barber ---> potential accomplice to Andy.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/11 at 11:55 pm

It was a family show. Do ya think Aunt Bea would approve if Andy went "9 1/2 weeks" on her?  8)

Andy was a widow. I think he killed her and because of his position sheriff, he kept the murder under wraps. Who else is gonna figure it out? Barney Fife?
Floyd the Barber ---> potential accomplice to Andy.

I just figured Sheriff Taylor could explain it all in that nice plainspoken small town patter:

"See, son, sometimes when a man and a woman like each other a whole lot...or in Aunt Bea's case a woman and a woman, or in Barney's case, a man and a man...well, they like to do special things together, like see midnight movies and register as Mr. and Mrs. John Smith at the old motel on the outskirts of town..."
???

Check for new replies or respond here...