inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone ever wish we had the old telephones?

Written By: sargentphilco on 03/12/12 at 11:10 pm

Every time the phone rings its like a scavenger hunt trying to find the phone because the kids talk on it till the battery runs down, then they just abandon it where it died at. Then I cant find it to put on the charger. I remember the good ole days when a phone was limited to how long the cord was and they werent battery powered. :-\\

Subject: Re: Anyone ever wish we had the old telephones?

Written By: danootaandme on 03/13/12 at 7:15 am

I gave up my land line just a few months ago, and still miss it. 

Written By: basscatfrank on 03/13/12 at 9:07 am

We had one phone and it was out in the hallway. It resided on a piece of furniture known as a "gossip bench". It was similar to a school desk with a small area to place the phone and enough space to keep a pad and pencil to take messages. It also had storage underneath for telephone directories. Our phone, rotary dial of course, had a piece of paper in the center of the dial with your phone number on it. Ours began with MOnument 6 which meant the first three digits of our number were 666.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/13/12 at 10:01 am

We actually had 3 phones-one in the living room, one in the kitchen (a wall mount) and another one in the basement (another wall mount). Why we had one in the basement I will never know. Well, I think my parents had the intention of making the basement into a family room. It was finished and there were bookshelves up and such but we never really used it. We also had the #AX7-****. No one uses the letters anymore.

After my parents split and we moved, we had one phone and it had a little pen holder & pen attached to it. As everyone sat there on the the phone, that pen was put to use-drawing on the phone book, drawing on the phone! Yes, it was a rotary dial-and every hole had a circle drawn in it. After the phone book was just about completely covered with drawings & doodlings, one of my sisters wrote: "DO NOT WRITE ON THE PHONE BOOK!"  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: amjikloviet on 03/13/12 at 10:54 am

I do! There were so many different styles and colors to choose from too!

The last time I used a telephone was in the mid 90's. It was one of those rotary wall telephones in white that my parents had at home.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/13/12 at 9:53 pm

We actually had 3 phones-one in the living room, one in the kitchen (a wall mount) and another one in the basement (another wall mount). Why we had one in the basement I will never know. Well, I think my parents had the intention of making the basement into a family room. It was finished and there were bookshelves up and such but we never really used it. We also had the #AX7-****. No one uses the letters anymore.

After my parents split and we moved, we had one phone and it had a little pen holder & pen attached to it. As everyone sat there on the the phone, that pen was put to use-drawing on the phone book, drawing on the phone! Yes, it was a rotary dial-and every hole had a circle drawn in it. After the phone book was just about completely covered with drawings & doodlings, one of my sisters wrote: "DO NOT WRITE ON THE PHONE BOOK!"  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sounds familiar!  The phone book used to get beat to hell, but the phone company sent you a new one every year.  It gave me a great sense of identity to look us up in the White Pages!

As far as we've come in telecommunications, here's what I miss about the old days...I mean even before we had answering machines!
a. If I'm not home I can't be expected to answer the telephone.
b. If you hear a busy signal it means I'm talking to somebody else and you have to call back later.  Deal with it.  (A luxury lost to a satanic plot known as "Call Waiting")
c. Calling long-distance is prohibitively expensive so if you head down to Key West I'll write you a post card.  So long!

:)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/13/12 at 10:03 pm

My dad so loved the rotary dial phones that he got the one my aunt was getting rid of and installed it next to his "spot".  (He commandeered one corner of the table in the kitchen (and has his own chair and half the kitchen table.)  He put the rotary phone on the wall and it had a relatively short cord, so if my friends called, I'd have to sit at his feet talking (at least until I annoyed him enough and he made me hang up.)  ;D

It is still hanging on the wall 25 years later, although they got rid of the home phone service and are strictly cell phones now.

Can't say as I miss it all that much, dialing phone numbers with 9's and 0's took forever and were really hard on my index finger (until I got smart and used a pen instead of my finger.)  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/13/12 at 10:17 pm

My dad so loved the rotary dial phones that he got the one my aunt was getting rid of and installed it next to his "spot".  (He commandeered one corner of the table in the kitchen (and has his own chair and half the kitchen table.)  He put the rotary phone on the wall and it had a relatively short cord, so if my friends called, I'd have to sit at his feet talking (at least until I annoyed him enough and he made me hang up.)  ;D

It is still hanging on the wall 25 years later, although they got rid of the home phone service and are strictly cell phones now.

Can't say as I miss it all that much, dialing phone numbers with 9's and 0's took forever and were really hard on my index finger (until I got smart and used a pen instead of my finger.)  ;D

My parents always got push button phones.  That's what I learned.  Then I'd go to my friend's house:

Can I use your phone?
Sure, it's right over there.
Oh one of these things shhhhvip...click click click click,  shhhhvip...click, click, click, shhhhvip...click click click click click...
:D

My other seventies phone remarks.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_7PBXumNf_hA/THG2fSHvicI/AAAAAAAAMh4/9HdgXmHtf3g/s1600/orange-phone.png

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/14/12 at 11:00 am

We had one phone and it was out in the hallway. It resided on a piece of furniture known as a "gossip bench". It was similar to a school desk with a small area to place the phone and enough space to keep a pad and pencil to take messages. It also had storage underneath for telephone directories. Our phone, rotary dial of course, had a piece of paper in the center of the dial with your phone number on it. Ours began with MOnument 6 which meant the first three digits of our number were 666.

The 1970s feels like another dimension in the world of telephony. People were still excited about simply having touch-tone dials, and an answering machine was considered a status symbol at the time, with cellphones nearly non-existant. Most telephone ads at the time were either Bell System ads about how some basic functions work, or basically you local company often with a graphic purpose; non of this complicated plans/what's new stuff. Also, even though by the '70s lettered exchanges were fading fast and was mostly just numbers looking at some media from this era, the area code was still only for some long-distance calls, so memorizing seven digits was the norm. Toll-free numbers were brand new and only found on a few services (they were only 800 numbers, no 888's and beyond yet). And, businesses always had a live person on the other side of the line and there was no voicemail at the time, and of course none of that background music/messages while on hold. And most importantly, telephone booths wee very abundant and is probably what I miss the most if I could go back to the '70s personally. However, people often forget how expensive long distance calls were, particularly overseas ones.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 03/14/12 at 12:13 pm

I'm only 21 yet up till around the time I was 10 we still had cord phones and just up to a few years ago, my grandma still had the old rotary phone. It's amazing to think that I'm just 21 yet cord phones are by and large something of a bygone era.
Hell, when I was born (1990), it was still the Cold War and the USSR still existed. It's amazing in some ways just how much the world has changed just since 1990....

In 1990, there was no real internet as we know it, cable was something rather new for most average people, VCR's reigned supreme, DVDs were still about half a decade away, CDs were relatively new and they along with Cassettes dominated the music industry; Vinyl albums still had a good sized chunk of the market especially among the Boomers, Arcades were still a big thing, Film cameras were pretty much the only kind of camera for photos and movies....

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/14/12 at 1:13 pm

Prior to 1984, Ma Bell owned the telephone service in the U.S. In 1984, it was forced to break up into different "Baby Bells" due to antitrust laws. After the breakup, many of the "Baby Bells" merged again-to seem like they were reforming the BIG Ma Bell (AT&T). Now, there are other companies out there-Sprint, Comcast, etc. that makes it hard for Ma Bell to create that monopoly it once had. I don't count Verizon because I believe they are part of AT&T-but I could be wrong.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/14/12 at 1:45 pm

Prior to 1984, Ma Bell owned the telephone service in the U.S. In 1984, it was forced to break up into different "Baby Bells" due to antitrust laws. After the breakup, many of the "Baby Bells" merged again-to seem like they were reforming the BIG Ma Bell (AT&T). Now, there are other companies out there-Sprint, Comcast, etc. that makes it hard for Ma Bell to create that monopoly it once had. I don't count Verizon because I believe they are part of AT&T-but I could be wrong.

Cat

On the one hand, you were stuck with Ma Bell.  On the other hand, you didn't have to fret over which long distance plan was better.
::)

Written By: Lindee on 03/15/12 at 11:15 am

When I was a kid our (only) phone was an old black rotary one was in the kitchen on a shelf which was secured onto the wall. Right around the corner was the door and steps going to the upstairs bedroom (for my sister and I). If you wanted any privacy we had to take the phone off the shelf and go around the corner and sit on the hard wood steps and partially close the door. Talk about backaches. We also had a party line; anybody remember those? I was always jealous of my friends who had extensions in their rooms.

Now I have one touch-tone corded and two cordless phones. I also have an old rotary wall mounted dial phone in the basement (left by previous owner). I love my cordless phones and won't give them up. At least I can sit comfortable while talking and not get all those backaches like I did when I was a kid.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/15/12 at 7:00 pm

My parents always got push button phones.  That's what I learned.  Then I'd go to my friend's house:

Can I use your phone?
Sure, it's right over there.
Oh one of these things shhhhvip...click click click click,  shhhhvip...click, click, click, shhhhvip...click click click click click...
:D

You know you're old when you can remember phones that went "shhhhvip...click click click click,  shhhhvip...click, click, click, shhhhvip...click click click click click..."  :D

The first phone I can remember my folks having was an old Trimline rotary, which had the classic 1970's color of baby-poop green:

http://img1.etsystatic.com/il_fullxfull.210551353.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/15/12 at 8:04 pm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/07/Enea_Bossi_Sr_-_USA%2C_1930s.JPG/601px-Enea_Bossi_Sr_-_USA%2C_1930s.JPG

When you used to literally "hang up" the telephone!

Written By: AussieSurf on 04/14/12 at 1:44 am

Me!  I do.  I liked them and I hate how everywhere in Australian society, mobile phones make their dreary presence felt.  I go to the gym and the young girls there sit on equipment and read FB or send texts.  Boring!  >:(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/14/12 at 6:04 pm

I had to get rid of my Smartphone.  I couldn't afford the bills.  However, I rarely used it for anything other than a phone.  I didn't like using the Internet on the tiny screen with the tiny buttons.  I don't text.  I can if I must, but I don't and I tell people not to text me because I won't answer.  My familial tremor made the phone camera an awkward instrument.  I was never sold on complicating my life with all that "apps" crap. 

Hell, I don 't even make phone calls every day, that's how weird I am!

So I won't miss it much.

Yeah, the Smartphone was flashier than the stripped down cheapo phone I have now, but to pay thousands of dollars for flash is the height of crass consumerism.  I couldn't justify doing that even if I could afford to.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/16/12 at 5:40 pm

I had to get rid of my Smartphone.  I couldn't afford the bills.  However, I rarely used it for anything other than a phone.  I didn't like using the Internet on the tiny screen with the tiny buttons.  I don't text.  I can if I must, but I don't and I tell people not to text me because I won't answer.  My familial tremor made the phone camera an awkward instrument.  I was never sold on complicating my life with all that "apps" crap. 

Hell, I don 't even make phone calls every day, that's how weird I am!

So I won't miss it much.

Yeah, the Smartphone was flashier than the stripped down cheapo phone I have now, but to pay thousands of dollars for flash is the height of crass consumerism.  I couldn't justify doing that even if I could afford to.

Hubby and I never really bought into that stuff either.  Waste of money to us.  We never got a MP3 player, I-pod, I-pad, tablet, bluetooth, smart phone.  The most tech-saavy we got was that he has a camera in his phone (but it takes lousy photos).  I carry my digital camera wherever I go so I'd rather use that.  I dunno, it just never seemed like something we had to have. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/16/12 at 11:14 pm

Hubby and I never really bought into that stuff either.  Waste of money to us.  We never got a MP3 player, I-pod, I-pad, tablet, bluetooth, smart phone.  The most tech-saavy we got was that he has a camera in his phone (but it takes lousy photos).  I carry my digital camera wherever I go so I'd rather use that.  I dunno, it just never seemed like something we had to have.

I'm in a college town surrounded by privileged kids who just have to have the latest gizmo and the newest doo-dad.

It's gotten to the point, btw, where a laptop is a MUST for taking college classes on campus.  You are expected to have one. 

The kids at my radio station plug the CDs into their laptops and copy them.  I don't mind because they're not stealing from me like they used to.  However, my 2004 Powerbook died a screaming death last fall and money is too tight for me to consider a laptop.  The main reason I don't want a laptop is, however, I want to leave my computer work and my computer play at home.  I don't venture out into a beautiful spring day to sit in the park and stare at a computer screen.  Call me old and sentimental if you like.  Anyway, I copy music onto CD-Rs, and I refused to log them into my hard drive because I don't want my thousands upon thousands of CDs and CD-Rs to clog up my computer's memory!
::) ::) ::)

Written By: karen on 04/17/12 at 2:12 am

My phone happens to have a camera, but I bought it because I wanted one small enough to fit into the phone pocket in my bag!

Back to phones from the seventies.

We didn't have a telephone at home in the 70s.  Not many people I knew did have one.  If we absolutely had to make a call we either went to my grandparents or a neighbour depending on how urgent it was.  Odd really because my dad actually worked for Post Office Telecommunications (as it was called then)!

Written By: Cherie70 on 05/04/12 at 1:24 pm

I miss some of the 70's nostalgia so much that I bought a touchtone phone and a rotary phone.  Mt touch tone goes with my office decor.  And then the Sage rotary phone I use in the winter my assistant has the cordless phone.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/04/12 at 11:41 pm

Speaking of phone books, do any of you still receive them? We DO still get one or two every year, but I don't really use them.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/04/12 at 11:46 pm

Verizon's currently independent.  (After the breakup, it was Bell Atlantic, which ate NYNEX, and which then ate GTE, and renamed itself "Verizon", and then ate MCI after the collapse of Worldcom.)

Back in the pop culture world, I think it was someone here who helped remind me of the 1984 parody track inspired by the Bell telephone breakup.  Thanks!

pryvM-2HFpM

- American Comedy Network, Breaking Up Is Hard On You, 1984. (parody of Breaking Up Is Hard To Do.)

The deal is going down, doobie-down-down-down,
The rates are going up, uppie-up-up-up...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/05/12 at 12:39 pm

Verizon's currently independent.  (After the breakup, it was Bell Atlantic, which ate NYNEX, and which then ate GTE, and renamed itself "Verizon", and then ate MCI after the collapse of Worldcom.)

Back in the pop culture world, I think it was someone here who helped remind me of the 1984 parody track inspired by the Bell telephone breakup.  Thanks!

pryvM-2HFpM

- American Comedy Network, Breaking Up Is Hard On You, 1984. (parody of Breaking Up Is Hard To Do.)

The deal is going down, doobie-down-down-down,
The rates are going up, uppie-up-up-up...

I TOTALLY remember that parody.

BTW, my sister worked for Worldcom as they were imploding.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/06/12 at 12:27 am

Speaking of phone books, do any of you still receive them? We DO still get one or two every year, but I don't really use them.

I'll bet there's a market for old phone books.  Like, if you had a Saginaw directory from 1975 in mint condition, some geek would buy it from you on eBay.
8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/06/12 at 3:11 pm

I'll bet there's a market for old phone books.  Like, if you had a Saginaw directory from 1975 in mint condition, some geek would buy it from you on eBay.
8)

You are right. I never thought of phone books but we have sold several old catalogs.

I just did a quick eBay search on phone books and many sold. Here is one that may interest you.  ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item4601628e23&item=300670946851&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=NAv%252FjZS%252F1erOZq23Npd3cdvkFeM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/07/12 at 12:30 pm

One of the libraries that I used to work at kept old phone books.  They come in handy when doing historical or geneological research.  My grandma used to have a 1980s phone book up until just a couple years ago that she still used.  I always said that I'd like to get that phone book for the library collection when she passed away.  I'm sure it's gone now.  :-\\

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/07/12 at 12:33 pm

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/298159_249416648435050_100001001516226_725138_531440091_n.jpg

The best? of both worlds...  :D

Written By: wildcard on 05/07/12 at 3:49 pm

my mom has been trying to see if I can hear from a telephone now and it seems I cant make out anything from them.  I went online and read an article that the that the cell phone signal and the CI signal mess each other up.  Why didn't I think of that?  We do still have an old phone, but I cant hear well enough to understand a conversation yet.

Written By: Gustav on 05/08/12 at 9:41 am

Nope, hurting my fingers dialing to many 8's and 9s.

Written By: Goodogbadog on 06/08/12 at 9:50 pm

Every time the phone rings its like a scavenger hunt trying to find the phone because the kids talk on it till the battery runs down, then they just abandon it where it died at. Then I cant find it to put on the charger. I remember the good ole days when a phone was limited to how long the cord was and they werent battery powered. :-\\

Me, I JUST LOVE carrying my phone around. No more... "can't... quite... reach.... hold on a sec, I gotta go get that pencil...."

Written By: Dude111 on 07/15/19 at 12:44 am

I miss the good quality we had from a reg landline.....

This digital crap is aweful..... Keeps dropping calls,etc.......

All the years we had landline service I only remember 1 dropped call..... I was talking to a friend and all of a sudden a dial tone came on! (Like someone at the switch reset my line)

Written By: Howard on 07/15/19 at 5:25 am

I miss the good quality we had from a reg landline.....

This digital crap is aweful..... Keeps dropping calls,etc.......

All the years we had landline service I only remember 1 dropped call..... I was talking to a friend and all of a sudden a dial tone came on! (Like someone at the switch reset my line)

I don't really miss the old telephones, In a way I do because of nostalgia.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/15/19 at 10:03 pm

I was 4 or 5 when I saw my first pushbutton phone, so 1980-81 or so.

I still have a corded phone.  It works when the power goes out and I can call and report the outage.  Someone I knew in 2012 had a huge snowstorm and power was out so long the nearby towers went dead.  The landline was the only thing that let anybody know that her and her 80 year old dad were in trouble.

I still have my landline but nobody calls it anymore.  Just for dialup, since Charter has the monopoly on the cable, and AT&T has the monopoly on the landlines.  The electric company is installing fiber optic but still undecided whether they will actually come to my area, if they do it will be over a year from now.

I did just get an Iphone but the signal drops out often in these parts, so use is limited.  I still have a week to return it if I don't think the hefty cost is worth it.

Written By: Howard on 07/16/19 at 7:31 am

Who still has a rotary dial phone?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/611IvqKNZFL._SX425_.jpg

Written By: Dude111 on 07/16/19 at 2:02 pm

Its interesting Howard you ask that....

I have an older style cordless phone (1980) which only has pulse dialing (rotary) and a reg phone that I can switch to PULSE and our cable modem dials the correct touch tone if I use rotary... So if I dial ZERO (or click the switch hook 10 times) in pulse mode,the modem will dial 0 in tone....

I like to experiement often... I have tried clicking it 11 times but the modem doesnt dial anything then ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/16/19 at 2:07 pm

Its interesting Howard you ask that....

I have an older style cordless phone (1980) which only has pulse dialing (rotary) and a reg phone that I can switch to PULSE and our cable modem dials the correct touch tone if I use rotary... So if I dial ZERO (or click the switch hook 10 times) in pulse mode,the modem will dial 0 in tone....

I like to experiement often... I have tried clicking it 11 times but the modem doesnt dial anything then ;D

Is it hooked up and are you still using it Dude?

Written By: Cherie70 on 07/19/19 at 10:14 pm

I actually have 2 one I use in my 70's decorated office and touch tone and a dial phone.

Written By: annimal on 07/19/19 at 10:42 pm

old or just a phone that's still just a phone

Written By: Dude111 on 07/19/19 at 11:53 pm

Ya Howard the one I can switch to pulse is :)

I use it often........

Written By: Retrolover on 07/20/19 at 12:14 am

Who still has a rotary dial phone?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/611IvqKNZFL._SX425_.jpg

I wasn’t a fan of the rotary dial phones. My fingers always got stuck in them.

I would much rather own a racing car phone or Garfield phone in the old days than the rotary.

Written By: Howard on 07/20/19 at 2:29 pm

Ya Howard the one I can switch to pulse is :)

I use it often........

How much are they going for these days?

Written By: Howard on 07/20/19 at 2:30 pm

I actually have 2 one I use in my 70's decorated office and touch tone and a dial phone.

What color are they?

Written By: Dude111 on 08/10/19 at 12:56 pm

Gosh I dont know Howard,ya could look em up on ebay buddy :)

Written By: Howard on 08/10/19 at 4:08 pm

Gosh I dont know Howard,ya could look em up on ebay buddy :)

Would you want me to let you know how much they're selling for? ???

Written By: Dude111 on 08/11/19 at 12:02 pm

I sense around $50 or more......... (I havent checked lately)

Written By: Howard on 08/11/19 at 1:59 pm

I sense around $50 or more......... (I havent checked lately)

Around $30-50$ (the most)

Written By: Dude111 on 06/20/20 at 7:36 am

But they had much better quality!

Written By: Howard on 06/20/20 at 8:09 am

But they had much better quality!

You referring to the old rotary dials?

Written By: wixness on 06/20/20 at 10:10 am

I would argue they're still handy to have around if someone were to, like:
Be in touch with those way outside their time zone
Not have money to be even able to pay for charging up their phones
Those who are blind or have visual difficulties and do not necessarily benefit from a smartphone
I'm not really talking so much about rotary phones since even more modern landline phones with push buttons on them and payphones are going the way of the dodo too.

Written By: Howard on 06/20/20 at 1:47 pm

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/611IvqKNZFL._AC_SX425_.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41JzAIkNRnL._AC_.jpg

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/20/20 at 9:45 pm

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/611IvqKNZFL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Those old desk phones were built like tanks. One of the best things about them was that when you got really mad at someone you could hang up on them by slamming the receiver down into the cradle really hard and the bell inside would clang. And those phones were so tough and durable that no matter how hard you slammed the receiver down you couldn't break them. ;D

But yeah, sometimes I do wish we still had the old phones. Smartphones are convenient and all, but I feel like they've completely taken over our lives. Instead of our phones being tethered inside our homes, now we are tethered to our phones.  :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 06/20/20 at 10:58 pm

One of the best things about them was that when you got really mad at someone you could hang up on them by slamming the receiver down into the cradle really hard and the bell inside would clang. And those phones were so tough and durable that no matter how hard you slammed the receiver down you couldn't break them. ;D

Fucc yeah!  It was very satisfying to slam the receiver down lol

Written By: Howard on 06/21/20 at 7:17 am

Fucc yeah!  It was very satisfying to slam the receiver down lol

I agree when you got angry you'd hear a clanging sound. ;D

Written By: karen on 07/15/20 at 1:35 am

We still have a landline at home. We have one corded phone and two cordless phones.

I think maybe the pricing structure in the U.K. meant that more people kept their landlines. I haven’t looked at it recently,  but it used to cost more to call a mobile (cell) phone and there were different call charges from one mobile to another if you were with different phone companies

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/15/20 at 11:20 am

The landline and a good old fashioned corded phone is handy to report a power outage. Or when cell service is down.

Written By: Howard on 07/15/20 at 2:29 pm

I miss push button and rotary dial phones.

Written By: robby76 on 07/15/20 at 10:55 pm

Yep there was definitely a satisfying tangible feel from using both rotary and push button phones.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/16/20 at 12:51 am

I miss the old trimline phones we had when I was growing up. I liked how they came in different colors!

Does anyone remember Shoe phones?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/20 at 12:55 am

I miss the old trimline phones we had when I was growing up. I liked how they came in different colors!

Does anyone remember Shoe phones?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/30/DonAdams.jpg/340px-DonAdams.jpg

Written By: Howard on 07/16/20 at 4:51 am

Yep there was definitely a satisfying tangible feel from using both rotary and push button phones.

Remember the sounds of rotary dialing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jALYy01DoM0

Written By: Howard on 07/16/20 at 4:52 am

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/30/DonAdams.jpg/340px-DonAdams.jpg

I wonder if shoe phones still sell?

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/16/20 at 6:37 am

We had one where the dial was in the handset and was smaller and had a soft feel. Definitely addictive to use.

Written By: Howard on 07/17/20 at 1:34 pm

We had one where the dial was in the handset and was smaller and had a soft feel. Definitely addictive to use.

What did it look like?

Written By: karen on 07/17/20 at 3:06 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHNEzndgiFI

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/17/20 at 4:55 pm

What did it look like?

https://i.etsystatic.com/6651491/r/il/59f703/1846030884/il_794xN.1846030884_53be.jpg

I found they call it a trimline rotary phone.  Ours was off white like this.

Written By: Howard on 07/18/20 at 2:49 pm

https://i.etsystatic.com/6651491/r/il/59f703/1846030884/il_794xN.1846030884_53be.jpg

I found they call it a trimline rotary phone.  Ours was off white like this.

Oh Yeah, I do remember those phones.

Written By: Katluver on 07/27/20 at 10:59 pm

I miss the days when call display was rare, and we would make prank calls!  :D

Written By: Howard on 07/28/20 at 7:25 am

How many times did you make prank calls throughout the day?

Written By: karen on 07/28/20 at 7:50 am

Can I speak to Mr Wall please?

Oh, he’s not there? Then can I speak to Mrs Wall please?

What, there’s no Walls there at all? Then what holds your roof up?

Written By: Howard on 07/28/20 at 1:57 pm

https://imgaz2.staticbg.com/thumb/view/oaupload/banggood/images/06/E3/32b80f69-f07a-402d-99ab-3e90a6125604.jpg

Anyone remember these phones?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/28/20 at 2:01 pm

https://imgaz2.staticbg.com/thumb/view/oaupload/banggood/images/06/E3/32b80f69-f07a-402d-99ab-3e90a6125604.jpg

Anyone remember these phones?
Only in the movies.

I used to know a special trick you could do with phones.

Written By: robby76 on 07/28/20 at 6:46 pm

Our family had one of these marble phones. Don't think we ever had it plugged in and not sure how or where we got it from...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0a/24/b8/0a24b81bee444baf608833a342616cec.jpg

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/28/20 at 7:15 pm

Our family had one of these marble phones. Don't think we ever had it plugged in and not sure how or where we got it from...

It's a beautiful object though, just to have as a collectible.

Written By: Howard on 07/29/20 at 3:30 pm

Only in the movies.

I used to know a special trick you could do with phones.

What was the trick?

Written By: Howard on 07/29/20 at 3:31 pm

How far back do those phones go?

Written By: robby76 on 07/29/20 at 8:38 pm

How far back do those phones go?

I researched similar ones and they get listed as 1950s French designed. Though the marble stays the same, I've seen different styles of plastic attachments, so I think they were mass produced to some extent. Not worth a crazy price now either.

I asked my Mum yesterday and she said some gifted it to us, and yeah we used it for display only lol.

Written By: Howard on 07/30/20 at 7:27 am

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9f/0c/72/9f0c726b034383213108deb8aa204425.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...