inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did you ever read Mad magazine when you were a kid?

Written By: sargentphilco on 03/18/12 at 2:30 pm

I used to love some of the stuff in there; Spy VS Spy, ABC's Wild World Of Sports, Board games we'd like to see, and all kinds of other stuff. I saw an episode of 60 Min. once where they interviewed the writers at Mad. It was pretty funny; the interviewer asked them if their sattire was harmful to kids, to which Mad replied," We'll rot their brains but not their teeth".

Subject: Re: Did you ever read Mad magazine when you were a kid?

Written By: gibbo on 03/18/12 at 6:26 pm

I was a big fan (and still have a handful of old mags). I really enjoyed the satires, Spy V Spy and one page the cartoons. The back cover was usually clever too.

I also have some old Cracked magazine (who were rivals at the time) ... but NOT as good as MAD. People said I looked like Alfred E. Neuman. I wasn't overly impressed with that ... but I WAS a freckle-faced kid with a gap between his teeth ... and big ears!  :-\\ I didn't stand a chance!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/19/12 at 3:47 pm

What? Me worry?

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/20/12 at 11:14 pm

I also have some old Cracked magazine (who were rivals at the time) ... but NOT as good as MAD.

Funny how things work out.

Long as I'm fessing up to silly things for which I paid money, I own a legitimate copy of Spy vs. Spy, 8-bit style. 

(136 MB video of C-64 version illustrating 2-player-1-keyboard gameplay?  Do Want!  It was more fun than it looked, especially when your opponent was a human and not the AI.)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/21/12 at 12:18 am

I was a big Al Jaffee fan!

http://tytempletonart.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/mad-snappy.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/21/12 at 1:05 pm

I always liked Don Martin.

http://home.comcast.net/~noslensj/dm-frog4.JPG

Cat

Written By: gumbypiz on 03/21/12 at 5:06 pm

Did you ever read Mad magazine?
Are you kidding me? I LIVED Mad magazine. Had stacks of them, super specials, reprints, paperbacks the whole shebang.

I collected them from when I was about 11. My Mom would drag me to U of MD campus while she was working on her PhD and let me loose (you could do that back in the 70’s w/o issue). I spent most of my time in the campus library and bought every Mad paperback, magazine and special edition that was at the campus bookstore. (Cracked  & Crazy too, but not as much).

I had a collection that filled half of a closet, but lost it all in a flood in ’89.  :\'(

I loved and miss Dave Berg’s Lighter Side Of… , Spy Vs Spy, Sergio Aragones’s strange little ‘toons on the edges.(I didn’t even notice most of his drawings until after the second or third time I read the magazine usually).

Don Martin was my favorite, the strange sound effect written out that he’d come up with had me on the floor.

I mean how would you,  or could you come up with “FLaaaCarLuUUUGFluugggG” as a sound a human could make and not laugh?

I hold Mad magazine responsible for my still twisted sense of humor. Mad also lead me to the “harder” stuff, i.e. National Lampoon in my mid teen years…

Written By: Porfle Popnecker on 03/22/12 at 3:00 am

When you were a kid in a boring situation (long car trip, doctor's office waiting room, slow day at home) there were few things better than a nice fat issue of MAD (or one of the reprint paperbacks) to get lost in.  The movie and TV show satires were my favorites.  The song parodies inspired me to write my own.  The Don Martin and Sergio Aragones comics were a big influence on my own sense of humor and drawing style. 

Later, I discovered the whole wonderful world of first-wave MAD with the brilliant work of Harvey Kurtzman, Wil Elder, Wally Wood, Jack Davis, etc. and such demented gems as "SuperDuperMan", "Starchie", "Howdy Dooit", "Dragged Net", "Ping Pong", and "Bat Boy and Ruben" (I think I got all those titles right).  This was the same company that also put out those great EC horror comics like Tales From the Crypt and The Vault of Horror.

My avatar character is inspired by Alfred E. Neuman. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/23/12 at 9:07 pm

I hold Mad magazine responsible for my still twisted sense of humor. Mad also lead me to the “harder” stuff, i.e. National Lampoon in my mid teen years…

Mad was partially responsible for mine.  The parents, in a rare bit of strictness, didn't allow it in the house.  Said I was too young for it, or it was too young for me, and forgot which excuse they were using.  Spy vs. Spy was a perfectly subversive satire of the Cold War, and I didn't appreciate just how brilliant it was until I read 1984 in 8th grade.

I forgive my folks for trying to shield me from subversive humor.  They must have done something right.  Gaining a new understanding of the Cold War didn't change which side I was on (though I can see why the older generation might have worried about that), it just made me take the world a whole lot less seriously: all of a sudden, the cold war wasn't life-or-death, it was just a game being played by the white spy vs. the black spy, through the use of increasingly-improbable and spectacularly-expensive gadgets, booby-traps, and geopolitical pranks.  But like Wile E. Coyote vs. the Road Runner (if the Coyote ever caught the Road Runner, or if he actually died while trying to catch him, the show would be over, and the desert would be a whole less amusing), neither side really wanted to call the other's bluff. 

Mad Magazine (by the authors' intent) and Warner Bros. cartoons (by my childhood brain overthinking it - Road Runner goes back to 1948, long before the Cold War had begun in earnest, and Warner Bros. was pretty consistent in concentrating on the fun and avoiding political satire) were how I stopped worrying and learned to love the bomb.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/23/12 at 11:51 pm

^ I remember a lot kids' parents didn't allow Mad magazine in the house if for no other reason than they thought it was junk and wanted their kids reading literature.  Fair enough.  They just read it at my house!
;D

Truth be known, I was jaded by the time I was eleven, and I'm in therapy to this very day...but none of this had ANYTHING to do with Mad, or National Lampoon, or R-rated movies and everything to do with my stark-raving crazy dysfunctional family! 

No, Dad, what about you?

F****K YOU!!!

Something like that.

And furthermore, I'll say this for Dave Berg's Lighter Side of Life was a hell of a lot more thought-provoking than "The Hunger Game," "Twilight," or any of the other violent swill they're pushing on tweens nowadays.
::)

http://mikophoto.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/DAVE-BERG-MAD_208-LIGHTER-SIDE-OF-THE-ME-GENERATION_8-ORIGINAL-ART.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/24/12 at 3:15 pm

Mad was partially responsible for mine.  The parents, in a rare bit of strictness, didn't allow it in the house.  Said I was too young for it, or it was too young for me, and forgot which excuse they were using.  Spy vs. Spy was a perfectly subversive satire of the Cold War, and I didn't appreciate just how brilliant it was until I read 1984 in 8th grade.

I forgive my folks for trying to shield me from subversive humor.  They must have done something right.  Gaining a new understanding of the Cold War didn't change which side I was on (though I can see why the older generation might have worried about that), it just made me take the world a whole lot less seriously: all of a sudden, the cold war wasn't life-or-death, it was just a game being played by the white spy vs. the black spy, through the use of increasingly-improbable and spectacularly-expensive gadgets, booby-traps, and geopolitical pranks.  But like Wile E. Coyote vs. the Road Runner (if the Coyote ever caught the Road Runner, or if he actually died while trying to catch him, the show would be over, and the desert would be a whole less amusing), neither side really wanted to call the other's bluff. 

Mad Magazine (by the authors' intent) and Warner Bros. cartoons (by my childhood brain overthinking it - Road Runner goes back to 1948, long before the Cold War had begun in earnest, and Warner Bros. was pretty consistent in concentrating on the fun and avoiding political satire) were how I stopped worrying and learned to love the bomb.

Going off topic here for a moment: Wile DID catch the Road Runner once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJJW7EF5aVk

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/24/12 at 4:22 pm

I remember reading Mad at least a bit when I was a little kid (late 60s-ish).  I remember thinking it was wacky fun but I didn't get some of the humor, as I was a bit young for it.  :-\\  Overall, I liked it.  We never seemed to own Mad magazine ourselves; I often found it at someone else's house or maybe at a dentist office.

Written By: wm on 03/25/12 at 4:36 am

Hi; Does anybody remember the issue of Mad Magazine on the inside cover they gave you a square piece of thin cardboard white on the back and the front had like a plastic material and it was a version of a small record with a thin hole in the middle like a 78rpm spindle to play on you stereo . And there was a song on this little record called " Its a gas" and the song started out slow an then got real fast. It would say like it a gas in the song and somebody would Burp. First low and then louder and faster. At that time and age well laugh and laugh and laugh. Thank you!

Written By: sargentphilco on 03/25/12 at 10:30 am

Hi; Does anybody remember the issue of Mad Magazine on the inside cover they gave you a square piece of thin cardboard white on the back and the front had like a plastic material and it was a version of a small record with a thin hole in the middle like a 78rpm spindle to play on you stereo . And there was a song on this little record called " Its a gas" and the song started out slow an then got real fast. It would say like it a gas in the song and somebody would Burp. First low and then louder and faster. At that time and age well laugh and laugh and laugh. Thank you!
I dont think I saw that one but I do remember a cardboard record in one issue that had a 2 or 3 min. spoof on All In The Family that was called  Gall In The Family. It was classic Mad material, starring    Starchy Bunkerhill and his wife Ding a ling.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/25/12 at 11:50 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J-LvMxKvFY

Cat

Written By: robby76 on 03/25/12 at 11:55 pm

The back cover was usually clever too.

I loved the back cover!!! I always used to try and fold it whilst in the magazine store and try not to crease it. I bought quite a few issues back in the day - I remember loving the Cosby Show spoof issue.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/26/12 at 10:10 pm

I loved the back cover!!! I always used to try and fold it whilst in the magazine store and try not to crease it. I bought quite a few issues back in the day - I remember loving the Cosby Show spoof issue.

Al Jaffee was the mad genius of Mad.  One of my childhood heroes!

http://twi-ny.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/mad-fold-in.jpg

Here's one of my all-time favorite issues:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/MAD-MAGAZINE-SUPER-SPECIAL-Fall-1981-Comics-Over-Years-/00/s/MTAyNFg3Njg=/$(KGrHqZ,!lQE5Y70R00YBOeB,9rKbw~~60_3.JPG

8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/28/12 at 12:54 am

Going off topic here for a moment: Wile DID catch the Road Runner once.

I remember that cartoon.  If the early Road Runner vs Coyote cartoons were the Cold War, that moment of supreme joy from my childhood is comparable to my reaction to the fall of the Berlin Wall the capture of Saddam Hussein and the eventual termination of Osama bin Laden.  Much like White Spy vs. Black Spy, it was just one more comical episode in a story that didn't end. 

"I know Darth Vader's really got you annoyed, but remember, if you kill him, then you'll be unemployed"
  - Weird Al Yankovic, Yoda

But a long-term contract we have signed, says we'll be readin' these comics 'til the end of time...

Written By: Neil in PA on 04/01/12 at 9:23 pm

You new it was June when the Sept issue of MAD hit the stands.  They were always months off on purpose.  I was exposed to popular standard songs throught the "sung to the tune of" strips, although I didn't now the tunes and had to ask my mother.  How did an 8 year old know "Girl from Ipenema or Fly me to the moon, etc?"  Interestingly, the "sung to the tune of" campaigns led to a landmark Supreme Court ruling on song parodies.  Look it up - who knew?  MAD is American history on so many leveles. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/02/12 at 12:34 am

http://www.illsellyourstuff.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/michael-mad.jpg

Written By: Cherie70 on 04/07/12 at 10:35 am

Yes, I subscribed to Mad Magazine.  I tell you all this reminds me that people do not have imagination all the great ideas came from the 70's minus twitter, facebook and my space.  But imagaination left with our generation.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/07/12 at 10:38 am

I still have my Mad Magazine collection from the 1970's, and I do wish to acquire more copies to try and make a complete run.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/07/12 at 10:47 am

I still have my Mad Magazine collection from the 1970's, and I do wish to acquire more copies to try and make a complete run.

Those are probably worth $$$$ or in your case ££££.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/07/12 at 10:54 am

Those are probably worth $$$$ or in your case ££££.

Cat
I am hoping that is the case. Possibly even more for there are British editions.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/15/14 at 8:51 pm

If I see a copy of MAD I am bound to read it as an adult!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/16/14 at 12:19 am

Oh yes!  I loved Mad when I was a child and teen.  I'm not really sure why I stopped getting them.  They were really intelligent humor which I could appreciate (then and now.)

I really should start reading them again, I have way less funny stuff in my life now and I need to cheer myself up pronto.

Written By: Howard on 12/16/14 at 7:14 am

If I see a copy of MAD I am bound to read it as an adult!

same here, I enjoyed Mad magazine growing up.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/16/14 at 7:33 am

This was the same company that also put out those great EC horror comics like Tales From the Crypt and The Vault of Horror.

Not only put out by the same company, but was a direct result of the 1954 United States Senate subcommittee about the effect of comics (namely Crime comics and horror comics of EC) as the cause of Juvenile Delinquency.  It pretty much destroyed the company of EC comics.  So the banning of such subjects of comics led to the creation of Mad magazine to stay afloat.  Of course, now, we know it was a bunch of hooey, but thankfully the comics survived as reprints (where I came to love them as a child.)  xr62iKBwQTM  It is kind of a fascinating read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_Subcommittee_on_Juvenile_Delinquency

Written By: Butterball on 02/20/16 at 8:37 pm

I once had a magazine, don't know if it was MAD or Cracked. There was a parody of Clint Eastwood in "The Enforcer" called "The Enfoycer". In the end when Clint shoots the LAWS rocket at the tower. In the parody he shoots the helicopter out of the sky with Captain McKay in it. A link to this magazine would be appreciated.

Written By: ralfy on 09/07/16 at 7:48 pm

"A MAD magazine cartoonist shows how growing up poor sparks creativity"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2016/09/07/a-mad-magazine-cartoonist-shows-how-growing-up-poor-sparks-creativity/

Check for new replies or respond here...