inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were the 70's better for nerds?

Written By: singer on 06/25/12 at 5:06 pm

Is it me or nerds flourished in the 70's, especially in the early-mid part of the decade and also during the late 60's? I get the feeling that being a studious nerd in the 70's wasn't as bad as being a nerd in the 80's, the 90's and even now. Nerdy types from back then were not computer nerds, but bookish kids that were excelling in school subjects and liked reading books. Since the 80's and the 90's most nerds are into computers and now computer nerds are regarded in a better way that studious types who are not that into computers. It's like we now have two herds of nerds and the computer ones are regarded in a better way.

Another thing about the late 60's/early/mid 70's - there were a lot of Velma-like nerdy girls with glasses (and I like that type of girl! :)), but they have since almost disappeared.

Subject: Re: Were the 70's better for nerds?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/25/12 at 5:46 pm

Nah, folks didn't appreciate nerds until everybody had a computer that needed to be fixed!
8)

Written By: singer on 06/25/12 at 6:17 pm

To be honest, I miss non-computer and non-anime nerds. Nowadays it seems like all nerds are either into computers; anime or both.

Written By: 9symphony9 on 08/16/12 at 10:53 am

I'm trying to go back to the book thing. I'm learning Spanish and Japanese.

Written By: Howard on 08/16/12 at 2:17 pm

Nah, folks didn't appreciate nerds until everybody had a computer that needed to be fixed!
8)

or if you owned a pen pocket.

Written By: belmont22 on 09/13/12 at 5:23 am

To be honest, I miss non-computer and non-anime nerds. Nowadays it seems like all nerds are either into computers; anime or both.

I'm a nerd and I'm not really into hacking that much, or anime.  8)

Written By: Martin on 10/23/12 at 7:04 am

@ 54:18 you can see a typical 70s/80s nerdy girl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC5qdkXPBCQ

Written By: Kitten on 10/29/12 at 11:31 pm

Like, Hi,

"Dorks"/ "Nerds" may have been in style during the 1970s, unless, of course, you went to a high school wherein everybody subscribed to the "Carrie" philosophy of bullying. 

I swear, I've read more horror stories about high school kids who were treated badly during the 1970s (Ie: Yogurt poured into their lockers each day, tacks placed on their homeroom chairs, etc.).  Was it really that bad for some kids during the 1970s, or were kids actually much nicer back then?  Did it all depend upon a kid's location (Ie: The country Vs. the city)?

In my experience, the kids of the late 1980s/ early 1990s were the mean kids.  From about fourth grade (1988-1989) through about eighth grade (1992-1993), I was shoved into the boys' bathroom, chased about by a girl who was carrying a plastic Godzilla, and threatened with physical harm by the class bullies.  The snobs made certain that I knew that I wasn't cool because I didn't wear the most expensive clothes (I finally got some Guess jeans during about 1988/1989, but they were tight and uncomfortable, and the only kid who liked me any better after I was wearing the jeans was the girl who had told me that I should wear them), but the really mean kids were even more of a threat to me. 

I went to high school from 1993 through 1997, and some people were snobs, but the cruelty of the kids whom I knew stopped, more or less, at making somebody feel as though they just weren't cool enough.  I WAS made fun of for wearing blue and purple eye shadow, so instead of being my 1980s-type self, I immediately began wearing NOTHING but shades of brown eye shadow.  I looked a lot like Nala from "The Lion King" when I was wearing tan eye shadow all over my eyelids, and when I'd wear the pink-brown hues, my mother would always say that I looked as though I'd been crying.

If I'd grown up during the 1970s, would kids have been nicer to me?  I was born during the last year of the 1970s.
8)

Written By: The Valley Goth on 10/29/12 at 11:36 pm

Like, Hi,

Sorry.  "Kitten's" message was really written by me (The Valley Goth), but I'm new, and I didn't realize that I wasn't logged into the site.  OOPS! :-[  Sorry.
8)

Check for new replies or respond here...