inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: John Carpenter's Halloween returning to theaters in October!

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 09/10/12 at 7:06 pm

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3190729/john-carpenters-halloween-back-in-theaters-this-october/

http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/WanadooFilms/Thriller/HalloweenLoomis.jpg

Michael Myers will be terrorizing cinemas once again as John Carpenter's seminal masterpiece/classic returns to theaters this October not only to celebrate Halloween, but also in anticipation of the film's 35th anniversary next year. This will be a nationwide release, the biggest such theatrical release since its original 1978 run. Screening before the film will be a brand new mini-doc entitled "You Can't Kill the Boogeyman: 35 Years of Halloween," by Justin Beahm, HalloweenMovies.com webmaster and author of the upcoming Halloween: The Complete Authorized History book.

Re-releases have become a big trend in Hollywood lately, and a good one at that. The Lion King, Titanic, Beauty & The Beast, Jaws, Casablanca, Taxi Driver, and others have reutnred to theaters in some form or another recently; Raiders of the Lost Ark is playing in IMAX (Don't know about 15/70mm, but it's playing digital), and Finding Nemo is coming soon.

I can't tell you how excited I am.  :D ;D :o 8) Reportedly, this will be a new HD remaster that is different from the one used on the 2007 Blu-ray, which reportedly had color-timing issues; Anchor Bay/Starz reportedly ditched the Dean Cundey-approved print used for the DVD in favor of the print used for the DiviMax/SuperBit DVD. Who knows if this will lead to a new 35th anniversary Blu-ray with the Cundey print upgraded to 4K (or 1080p at the least) and who knows what else.

Adding to the speculation is a Blu-ray.com entry for Halloween: 35th Anniversary Edition. It claims to be "1 movie, 2 cuts" and will supposedly include Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and Dolby Digital mono. The 2007 Blu-ray has uncompressded PCM 5.1 (instead of Dolby TrueHD), Dolby Digital mono, and also Dolby Digital 5.1 mixes.

Subject: Re: John Carpenter's Halloween returning to theaters in October!

Written By: robby76 on 09/17/12 at 1:38 am

Fantastic! The first Halloween is my all-time horror favourite. Would love to get the whole cinematic experience seeing as I was far too young to see it first time round.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/17/12 at 1:57 am

I might have to go to this one!
:)

Written By: Howard on 09/17/12 at 6:28 am

But what number are they up to this time?  ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/17/12 at 9:28 pm

But what number are they up to this time?  ???

This is a re-release of the 1978 classic "Halloween."  The first one, baby!
:)

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 09/17/12 at 10:16 pm

Love this movie! I actually got a chance to see it on the big screen two years ago in October. It really is a whole different experience.

Written By: Howard on 09/18/12 at 6:25 am

Halloween (1978)
Halloween II (1981)
Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)
Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989)
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995)
Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998)
Halloween: Resurrection (2002)
Halloween II (2009)

Written By: meesa on 09/18/12 at 1:10 pm

This would be a great opportunity! I was v. young when I saw it first time, and was scared to death so spent most of the time hiding my eyes.  :) 

Written By: Howard on 09/18/12 at 2:04 pm

Halloween (1978)
Halloween II (1981)
Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)
Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989)
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995)
Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998)
Halloween: Resurrection (2002)
Halloween II (2009)

Halloween 3 scared the crap out of me!  :o

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 09/19/12 at 5:32 pm

Hey, Howard, you forgot Halloween (2007). If you were going to omit one, I would recommend it be:

Halloween III (because it's its own separate entity)
Halloween: Resurrection (because it sucked for the most part)
Halloween II (2009) a.k.a. RZH2 (because it was so craptacular, it makes Howard the Duck look like It's a Wonderful Life; I'd rather watch Busta Rhymes karate-chop Michael Myers! :-\\ I would have walked out even if I were watching it on an airplane.  ;D)

Altogether, there are ten movies (including Season of the Witch), with an 11th in development hell since RZH2 flopped epically. It wasn't a John Carter sized failure, but it did perform poorly with critics, audiences, fans, and at the box office. This re-release of the original Halloween is a step in the right direction.

Written By: Howard on 09/19/12 at 7:12 pm

http://www.toplessrobot.com/halloween.jpg

Who remembers playing Halloween for Atari? ^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7xOCKLYnD0

Check for new replies or respond here...