inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rocky Horror Picture Show

Written By: belmont22 on 10/10/12 at 5:02 am

Today an older friend of mine told me (born in 1954) he's seen it several thousand times since its release in the 70's  ;D

Do you think it influenced later cult-classic movies like Princess Bride and Snakes on a Plane?

Subject: Re: Rocky Horror Picture Show

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/10/12 at 10:45 am

RHPS was basically a fluke. When it first came out, it was a totally flop. It wasn't meant to be an audience participation film. However, something happened a long the way. The audience started getting involved in the film-showing up in costumes, acting out parts, getting up and dancing, etc. It wasn't a passive experience. Instead of just having the movie entertain you, the audience was also entertaining you or YOU yourself were doing the entertainment. With that, it made each time going to see it VERY different which is why you hear people saying that they went to see it hundreds, sometimes thousands of times. Unlike when you went to see a "normal" movie-the experience was always the same. I LOVE RHPS but it just loses something when I watch it at home. You NEED the audience to really make it.

I don't recall any other movie, cult classic or not, having the audience basically part of experience. So to answer your question, No, I don't think it really influenced the later films.

Cat

Written By: meesa on 10/10/12 at 11:08 am

I don't recall any other movie, cult classic or not, having the audience basically part of experience. So to answer your question, No, I don't think it really influenced the later films.

Cat

I have to agree. It is an unique experience-I have friends who have only watched the dvd and couldn't understand the raving over why it is so fun. It is the participation that makes it fun. Unless you have gathered a bunch of RHPS freaks in your living room to reenact it, you won't understand (and that still won't work, I don't recommend RHPS in your living room or anywhere outside of a theater).

As to the general question of influences for cult classic in general, Cult classic films become 'cult classic' because each and every one has it's own special mojo that made it so. There is no formula to cookie cut films to 'make' them cult classics beforehand by borrowing from previous films, they are happy accidents.  :)

BTW, love all three of these films mentioned.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/10/12 at 9:25 pm

My guess is the RHPS influence is in LGBT kitsch rather than other cult movies.  I mean, it wasn't a particularly "gay" thing to go see RHPS any more than going to see David Bowie was a "gay" thing.  Gay theater, however, was Rocky Horr's origins and its legacy.

Written By: gibbo on 10/11/12 at 5:04 am

I saw it when I was 15 at the drive in theatre (geez ... they used to be fun  :-[) It was showing on a double feature with 'Phantom of the Paradise. They went pretty well together.I immediately loved the music and went again the next night. The same week I went out and bought the album. There was no audience participation at that point. That started more around the late 70's after the film had been playing it certain smaller theatres around here for more than 2 years.

Strangely, It was not a 'gay' following at all (in Brisbane at least). I saw the film many times with various friends, girlfriends etc over the following years. I agree that it doesn't work at all on the small screen ... and like a true prude ... I rather my teenagers didn't see it! :-\\. I used to sing out the words loudly while taking a shower. I don't know what my parents must have thought hearing their son singing " I'm just a sweet transvestite " (in my sexiest Tim Curry inflected voice).  ;D They must have been worried at the time...

I also agree that I can't see an influence on other films that followed.

Written By: Howard on 10/11/12 at 6:59 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwUjJXxoGy4

Written By: warped on 10/11/12 at 7:12 am

Strangely, It was not a 'gay' following at all (in Brisbane at least).

It wasn't a 'gay' following in Canada either, and I don't think it was much of an influence on other films. A very unique type of film. Either you never saw it, or saw it (and participated) many times. I tried to watch it once. Not very interesting to me. I don't even think I saw the whole thing.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/11/12 at 11:17 am

I saw it when I was 15 at the drive in theatre (geez ... they used to be fun  :-[) It was showing on a double feature with 'Phantom of the Paradise. They went pretty well together.I immediately loved the music and went again the next night. The same week I went out and bought the album. There was no audience participation at that point. That started more around the late 70's after the film had been playing it certain smaller theatres around here for more than 2 years.

Strangely, It was not a 'gay' following at all (in Brisbane at least). I saw the film many times with various friends, girlfriends etc over the following years. I agree that it doesn't work at all on the small screen ... and like a true prude ... I rather my teenagers didn't see it! :-\\. I used to sing out the words loudly while taking a shower. I don't know what my parents must have thought hearing their son singing " I'm just a sweet transvestite " (in my sexiest Tim Curry inflected voice).  ;D They must have been worried at the time...

My parents were as prudish as you are. Whenever I went to see it as a teen, I would see it when I was spending the night at a friend's house. One time, the stage show was coming locally and I so wanted to see it but my parents wouldn't let me.  >:( >:( >:(  They thought because of the audience participation, it would get out of hand. Oy vey! What a couple of fuddy duddies.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/11/12 at 1:09 pm

So this film was more of a comedy horror? ???

Written By: warped on 10/11/12 at 1:12 pm

So this film was more of a comedy horror? ???

It's more of a musical, it's not a horror for sure.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/11/12 at 4:36 pm

Well...

What's for dinner?

MEATLOAF!!!!!

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/11/12 at 7:48 pm

My parents were as prudish as you are. Whenever I went to see it as a teen, I would see it when I was spending the night at a friend's house. One time, the stage show was coming locally and I so wanted to see it but my parents wouldn't let me.  >:( >:( >:(  They thought because of the audience participation, it would get out of hand. Oy vey! What a couple of fuddy duddies.

Cat

My church youth group went to see it...

It was a Unitarian youth group, of course, and going to see the midnight screening of RHPS was one of our activities!
8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/12/12 at 12:06 am

Well...
What's for dinner?
MEATLOAF!!!!!

"What's the matter, Columbia? You always swallowed when you ate him!"

Written By: Howard on 10/12/12 at 3:06 pm

Aren't they reviving the musical?  ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/12/12 at 3:37 pm

Aren't they reviving the musical?  ???

It is preformed somewhere at any time-either the stage production or the movie (at midnight of course). Our local college put it on a few years back. The theatre was PACKED!!!!

Cat

Written By: belmont22 on 10/13/12 at 4:29 am

I might go see it at the theatre near here soon. Still a 'virgin' as they say.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 10/13/12 at 6:35 am

Does anybody think Tim Curry could do a Frank N.Furter now at his age of 66? ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/13/12 at 8:06 pm

Does anybody think Tim Curry could do a Frank N.Furter now at his age of 66? ???

Yes!
8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/14/12 at 1:32 am

I might go see it at the theatre near here soon. Still a 'virgin' as they say.  ;)

You need to do this.  The power of the googles and the widespread availability of audience participation recordings makes it a lot easier to know what to expect.  My first time was... still funny as all hell, but the first half hour was pretty awkward until I got the joke.

One thing to keep in mind:  most of the memes the crowd spouts out were spread by word of mouth and by typewritten/photocopied transcripts, before the Internet, and before most electronic forms of communication even existed.  If anything seems lame and dated, be amazed that it took off at all.  It's comparatively easy to make something go viral these days - in the 80s, this was pretty much unprecedented.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/14/12 at 11:26 pm

Rocky Horror fans wreck screenings of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/15/12 at 11:03 am

You need to do this.  The power of the googles and the widespread availability of audience participation recordings makes it a lot easier to know what to expect.  My first time was... still funny as all hell, but the first half hour was pretty awkward until I got the joke.

One thing to keep in mind:  most of the memes the crowd spouts out were spread by word of mouth and by typewritten/photocopied transcripts, before the Internet, and before most electronic forms of communication even existed.  If anything seems lame and dated, be amazed that it took off at all.  It's comparatively easy to make something go viral these days - in the 80s, this was pretty much unprecedented.

I have seen it is different areas of the country and each place has their own way. One time, I saw it in San Antonio, TX at the theatre that just recently started to show it. This was the mid-80s. I am from NY State and I was with a friend who was from PA. I can't remember what was going on or what the audience was doing. Some guy who was sitting in front of us, turned and asked, "Are they doing it right?" We both said, "No." But, at least they were trying.

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/17/12 at 10:06 pm

I have seen it is different areas of the country and each place has their own way. One time, I saw it in San Antonio, TX at the theatre that just recently started to show it. This was the mid-80s. I am from NY State and I was with a friend who was from PA. I can't remember what was going on or what the audience was doing. Some guy who was sitting in front of us, turned and asked, "Are they doing it right?" We both said, "No." But, at least they were trying.

Cat

It's really awesome that in the age where everyone clicks on the first thing that Google returns, and/or grabs a copy of "the" audience participation album from 1983, that there are still regional differences from cast to cast and theater to theater.  Even after you've seen it a few times, it's always fun to hear new lines coming from out of nowhere.  Doubly so if only two or three people are saying them; sometimes those are the funniest ones of all.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/18/12 at 12:47 pm

It's really awesome that in the age where everyone clicks on the first thing that Google returns, and/or grabs a copy of "the" audience participation album from 1983, that there are still regional differences from cast to cast and theater to theater.  Even after you've seen it a few times, it's always fun to hear new lines coming from out of nowhere.  Doubly so if only two or three people are saying them; sometimes those are the funniest ones of all.

Very true. We saw the stage show at our local college (where Carlos retired from). I can't remember the line but someone yelled it out that I never heard before and it was so funny.

One thing I can't get straight is the back row. When I first went, it was "Yay Back Row" but then it turned in to "F**k Back Row." I guess it depends on where.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/18/12 at 7:07 pm

That's why they record the soundtrack in Doubly.
;)

Written By: belmont22 on 10/27/12 at 5:37 pm

I wonder if eventually it will all be done the exact same way. :(

Written By: loki 13 on 10/27/12 at 6:11 pm

One thing I can't get straight is the back row. When I first went, it was "Yay Back Row" but then it turned in to "F**k Back Row." I guess it depends on where.  :-\\

Cat

In theaters around here the back row was an argument of the seating halves. F***k the back row, you f**k the
back row, then the whole theater says, we'll all f**k the back row, gang bang the back row.

the same line is repeated for Sue Blane. Once when her name appears on the screen, the other is when Frank
sings,"But maybe the rain is not really the blame." crowd "No Sue's the blame...

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/31/12 at 10:00 pm

In theaters around here the back row was an argument of the seating halves. F***k the back row, you f**k the
back row, then the whole theater says, we'll all f**k the back row, gang bang the back row.

Where I'm from, that battle gets fought, and usually concludes with the back row accepting the rest of the theater's offer via a hearty "YEAH BACK ROW!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/31/12 at 10:56 pm

When are they gonna make the Bukkake Horror Picture Show?
???

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/01/12 at 12:27 am

???

I don't know!

http://blog.nj.com/entertainment_impact_celebrities/2008/03/large_kids9.jpg

But I do know that you can't do that in a movie theater!

Written By: Howard on 11/04/12 at 2:27 pm

???

Who will star in it?  ???

Written By: ralfy on 11/18/15 at 11:28 am

"Susan Sarandon, Tim Curry reunite with Rocky Horror Picture Show cast for film’s 40th anniversary"

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/movies/susan-sarandon-tim-curry-reunite-with-rocky-horror-picture-show-cast-for-films-40th-anniversary/news-story/2107a1925649f4e9ed4c17ed943c9592

Written By: ralfy on 10/21/16 at 10:59 am

"'Rocky Horror Picture Show': 5 Things We Learned"

Last night, something hideously unnatural and eminently appropriate for the Halloween season took place on Fox: Executives exhumed a 40-year-old cult classic and reanimated it with Frankensteinian mad-scientist abandon.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/rocky-horror-picture-show-5-things-we-learned-w445736

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/14/20 at 7:35 pm

Why would it have inspired The Princess Bride??    Different genres.  RHPS is one of those things you have to be in the mood for.

Check for new replies or respond here...