inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ABBA

Written By: belmont22 on 10/29/12 at 9:29 am

Am I the only person that thinks ABBA were not only good but brilliant and up there with the Beatles in terms of how legendary they are as a pop act?

Subject: Re: ABBA

Written By: warped on 10/29/12 at 12:41 pm

I think ABBA was a very good band with an excellent sound. I'm certainly a fan. One of the first album I purchased was ABBA's "Arrival". ABBA's popularity was at their highest when I was in high school.

Since I am a huge Beatles fans, I think nothing comes remotely close to them. But that's just me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/29/12 at 12:50 pm

ABBA were brilliant right from the start, from their entry in the Eurovision Song Contest back in 1974, "Waterloo" went on to win it.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/12 at 1:41 pm

I like ABBA, they had a lot of good hits during the 1970's era.

Written By: Emman on 10/29/12 at 6:01 pm

Am I the only person that thinks ABBA were not only good but brilliant and up there with the Beatles in terms of how legendary they are as a pop act?

Yes, Benny and Bjorn are both genius songwriters, I consider them The Beatles of the '70s, their "uncool" image comes from them being associated with cheery europop music but even then there was some melancholic elements in their music. They are great at the whole "wall of sound" thing Phil Spector pioneered in the early '60s(check songs like Ring Ring, SOS, Waterloo, Dancing Queen, ect). They mixed it with their earlier folk influences, in fact, Benny and Bjorn were in two separate folk-rock bands in the '60s .

Written By: whistledog on 10/29/12 at 10:03 pm

As the 70s came to a close, ABBA's popularity waned in North America.  Two of my favourites:  Summer Night City in 1978 (failed to chart in the US Hot 100) and Angel Eyes in 1979 (only reached US #64) both saw the Top 40 in Canada, but just barely (#34 and #39 respectively). 

Written By: whistledog on 10/29/12 at 10:16 pm

Post-ABBA related Top 40 hits in North America:  There were only 3 of them ...

Frida - I Know There's Something Going On (1982)
(featuring Phil Collins on drums and backing vocals)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz5DkTF2RW8

Agnetha Faltskog - Can't Shake Loose (1983)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPkBssjfz48

Murray Head - One Night in Bangkok (1984)
(written by Benny Anderson and Bjorn Ulvaeus)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9mwELXPGbA

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/29/12 at 10:25 pm

ABBA is one of the greatest groups of all time, IMO.  Their sound is like no one else.  I will forever be a fan.

Written By: amjikloviet on 10/30/12 at 4:02 pm

My mother loved ABBA and their music when she was growing up in the '70s, she tells me. She still likes them even today.

Written By: warped on 10/30/12 at 4:38 pm

As the 70s came to a close, ABBA's popularity waned in North America.  Two of my favourites:  Summer Night City in 1978 (failed to chart in the US Hot 100) and Angel Eyes in 1979 (only reached US #64) both saw the Top 40 in Canada, but just barely (#34 and #39 respectively).

"Angel Eyes" is a fabulous song. It should have been one of the best songs of that year.

Written By: Headphones1989 on 10/30/12 at 5:00 pm

Mamma Mia!

Written By: Howard on 11/04/12 at 2:40 pm

What about the 1980's?  ???

Written By: Howard on 11/04/12 at 2:42 pm

ABBA is one of the greatest groups of all time, IMO.  Their sound is like no one else.  I will forever be a fan.

But how come they died out in the 1980's? ???

Written By: Howard on 11/04/12 at 2:43 pm

Mamma Mia!

There was also the musical based on ABBA.

Written By: Emman on 11/04/12 at 4:23 pm

I think it was because they got associated with disco, although they were mainly a pop/rock group that only made one full disco album.

Written By: warped on 11/04/12 at 4:27 pm

Abba consisted of 2 married couples. One of the couples got divorced in 1979, the other in 1981. For those of you who are divorced, you can imagine how difficult it would be to continue and perform musically together with your ex. That was one of the factors.

Written By: Paul on 11/14/12 at 1:17 pm

In actual fact, the group never officially split...obviously, tensions were a factor, but no statement was ever issued by the group (or their management) saying, in effect, that they were calling it a day...

But they did leave some fantastic stuff behind...and just imagine trying to write countless million-sellers in anything other than your own language! Impressive!

Written By: warped on 11/14/12 at 4:13 pm

In actual fact, the group never officially split...obviously, tensions were a factor, but no statement was ever issued by the group (or their management) saying, in effect, that they were calling it a day...

But they did leave some fantastic stuff behind...and just imagine trying to write countless million-sellers in anything other than your own language! Impressive!

True, there were so statement that I've ever seen. From the documentary I watched, they stopped getting together because of the marital divorces within the group, it was too difficult, esp for the ladies and Agnetha is particular.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/14/12 at 7:41 pm

Kinda like how the Korean War technically never ended.

Written By: Kryllith on 11/15/12 at 12:05 am

Freaked my wife out when my my bought her Mamma Mia a few years back. I knew/sang every song in the movie, with the exception of the one written specifically for the movie.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/15/12 at 10:41 am

My impression is that they were huge during the 70s and even early 80s. :P

Written By: 80sfan on 11/15/12 at 10:43 am

I think ABBA was a very good band with an excellent sound. I'm certainly a fan. One of the first album I purchased was ABBA's "Arrival". ABBA's popularity was at their highest when I was in high school.

Since I am a huge Beatles fans, I think nothing comes remotely close to them. But that's just me.

Sales wise, no band or artist has beat them, at least not yet!

Written By: miles on 12/19/12 at 8:48 pm

Abba sucked...still suck & will always suck.Your not the only one that likes them, but I wouldn't brag about them
or tell anyone you like Abba. 8-P

Written By: Paul on 12/20/12 at 3:55 am

Abba sucked...still suck & will always suck.Your not the only one that likes them, but I wouldn't brag about them
or tell anyone you like Abba. 8-P

Hey folks, seems like we have a troll in the audience! Don't feed it...

Written By: belmont22 on 12/20/12 at 4:26 pm

I heard that Bjorn Ulvaeus wants the ABBA museum to be a success so his grandkids will know his legacy. Now if that isn't enough to make a child of the Seventies feel old.  :D

Written By: Howard on 12/21/12 at 6:37 am

Didn't one of ABBA have a hit in 1985?  ???

Written By: Emman on 12/21/12 at 12:55 pm

Probably Frida.

Written By: Paul on 12/21/12 at 2:36 pm

Not as performers...the girls' efforts both hit in 1982/83...

You may be thinking of Murray Head's 'One Night In Bangkok' which was written by the two guys (plus Tim Rice) as part of the 'Chess' musical in late '84 - the song was big, but the musical wasn't...

Written By: Howard on 12/21/12 at 7:25 pm

Probably Frida.

I think it was Frida.

Written By: whistledog on 12/22/12 at 9:11 am

I think it was Frida.

See below, or see page 1 of this thread

Post-ABBA related Top 40 hits in North America:  There were only 3 of them ...

Frida - I Know There's Something Going On (1982)
(featuring Phil Collins on drums and backing vocals)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz5DkTF2RW8

Agnetha Faltskog - Can't Shake Loose (1983)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPkBssjfz48

Murray Head - One Night in Bangkok (1984)
(written by Benny Anderson and Bjorn Ulvaeus)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9mwELXPGbA

Written By: whistledog on 12/22/12 at 9:14 am

Not as performers...the girls' efforts both hit in 1982/83...

You may be thinking of Murray Head's 'One Night In Bangkok' which was written by the two guys (plus Tim Rice) as part of the 'Chess' musical in late '84 - the song was big, but the musical wasn't...

Shame the Chess musical bombed.  I always liked 'I Know Him So Well' by Elaine Page / Barbara Dickson, but that one never made big noise in North America

Written By: Howard on 12/22/12 at 7:33 pm

See below, or see page 1 of this thread

"I Know There's Something Going On" plays a lot on the radio.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/14 at 3:07 pm

http://entertainment.iafrica.com/news/887094.html

Legendary Swedish pop group ABBA could reunite next year to mark the 40th anniversary since they won the Eurovision Song Contest and were catapulted to global stardom, singer Agnetha Faltskog revealed

Written By: 80sfan on 05/13/14 at 4:32 pm

Legendary Swedish pop group ABBA could reunite next year to mark the 40th anniversary since they won the Eurovision Song Contest and were catapulted to global stardom, singer Agnetha Faltskog revealed

Shocking!

Written By: Howard on 05/13/14 at 7:13 pm

Wonderful! :)

Check for new replies or respond here...