inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is your favorite animation/kids production company of the '70s?

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/14/12 at 10:10 am

I've done a similar poll for the '80s, but the '70s was the decade in which Saturday Morning  with the occassional TV special exerted the greatest influence on the medium. Disney and Warner Bros were having their mid-life crises (I haven't included them since this was a low point for each company), while Hanna-Barbera continued to grow its presence on TV, plus Sid & Marty Kroft, Rankin-Bass, and Filmation were competing with them with their own products, both animated and live action. However there was also the Children's Television Workshop which had huge hits with Sesame Street and the Electric Company. Being before VHS released a new supply of animation, it was pretty tightly knitted in these four companies during the '70s, making it a simpler time for children's programming.

Subject: Re: What is your favorite animation/kids production company of the '70s?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/14/12 at 1:50 pm

Rankin-Bass.  Stop animation at it's finest.

Subject: Re: What is your favorite animation/kids production company of the '70s?

Written By: warped on 12/14/12 at 3:11 pm

Hanna-Barbera. Just because I watched shows like Scooby Doo, Josie and the Pussycats, Hong Kong Phooey, Wacky Races, Speed Buggy, Banana Splits and others in the early 1970s.

Written By: Howard on 12/14/12 at 7:12 pm

Children's Television Workshop which brought you Sesame Street And The Electric Company.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/14/12 at 9:33 pm

Rankin-Bass.  Stop animation at it's finest.

And The Hobbit.

Written By: gibbo on 12/15/12 at 12:26 am

Hanna-Barbera. Just because I watched shows like Scooby Doo, Josie and the Pussycats, Hong Kong Phooey, Wacky Races, Speed Buggy, Banana Splits and others in the early 1970s.

Totally agree with you on this one...

Written By: robby76 on 12/15/12 at 11:23 pm

Purely for the 70s output, I'm going for Filmation. Their live-action series like Secrets of Isis and Shazam were great, not to mention cartoons like Fat Albert and The Archies.

I think Hanna-Barbera are more 60s for me (though equally as good).

Written By: meesa on 12/16/12 at 4:04 pm

Rankin-Bass

Check for new replies or respond here...