inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Year of Watergate (1973-1974)

Written By: Ryan112390 on 04/06/13 at 6:49 am

Beginning around the summer of 1973 and lasting until September 8th 1974, Watergate was approximately a year long melodrama that consumed American politics and played out over the news media. The Watergate Scandal had become increasingly relevant slowly since the break in had occurred in June 1972, but the real melodrama didn't begin until the battle for Nixon's secret tapes began once their existence was revealed to the public in July 1973.  Once that happened, one can say the Year of Watergate began, culminating with the resignation of President Richard Nixon on August 9th 1974 and his subsequent pardon by President Ford a month later.

Do you have any memories of the year of Watergate? Of the scandal in general as it unfolded--The "Watergate Summer" of '73, the Saturday Night Massacre in October '73, Agnew resigning in November 1973, and finally Nixon's own resignation in August '74 and his pardon?

Did you have any parents or relatives who were big Nixon supporters in 1972? How do you remember them reacting to Watergate and Nixon's subsequent fall from grace?

Subject: Re: The Year of Watergate (1973-1974)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/07/13 at 3:10 pm

Beginning around the summer of 1973 and lasting until September 8th 1974, Watergate was approximately a year long melodrama that consumed American politics and played out over the news media. The Watergate Scandal had become increasingly relevant slowly since the break in had occurred in June 1972, but the real melodrama didn't begin until the battle for Nixon's secret tapes began once their existence was revealed to the public in July 1973.  Once that happened, one can say the Year of Watergate began, culminating with the resignation of President Richard Nixon on August 9th 1974 and his subsequent pardon by President Ford a month later.

Do you have any memories of the year of Watergate? Of the scandal in general as it unfolded--The "Watergate Summer" of '73, the Saturday Night Massacre in October '73, Agnew resigning in November 1973, and finally Nixon's own resignation in August '74 and his pardon?

Did you have any parents or relatives who were big Nixon supporters in 1972? How do you remember them reacting to Watergate and Nixon's subsequent fall from grace?

I don't remember too much news (in my early teens).  I disliked Nixon, as did my family.  I remember laughing over Agnew's resignation - to me he was an arrogant clown.  I recall being delighted with the choice of Ford for VP, as I lived in Michigan then.  With the unfolding of Watergate I had a mix of feeling of "I told you so" (didn't trust Nixon) and general sadness that the presidency could sink so low.  I will never forget Nixon's resignation speech - even though I wasn't a Nixon fan it made me incredibly sad, especially sad for our country.  I looked on with amazement that the first president who wasn't elected to be one took the reigns.  After knowing nothing but a president Nixon since I was very young, Ford was a breath of fresh air.

Written By: Howard on 04/07/13 at 3:19 pm

http://images.rarenewspapers.com/ebayimgs/5.55.2012/image087.jpg

My Mother had this newspaper but after almost 40 years it got so yellow that it had to be thrown out cause of the smell^

Written By: warped on 04/08/13 at 7:25 am

I started watching Watergate on TV for alternate reasons. When we came home from school we'd usually watch afternoon programs on TV (reruns of Get Smart, or Gilligan's Island, Dick Van Dyke show and many others.)  But when we came home and all channels were occupied by Watergate, at first I was pissed off (Give me the Brady’s or give me death!!!) , but then I watched with my mom and asked questions. This must have been 1973.

So I took an interest in it, found out what happened, learned about the major people involved and tried to understand it as much as a 10-year-old could.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/22/13 at 10:45 pm

I started watching Watergate on TV for alternate reasons. When we came home from school we'd usually watch afternoon programs on TV (reruns of Get Smart, or Gilligan's Island, Dick Van Dyke show and many others.)  But when we came home and all channels were occupied by Watergate, at first I was pissed off (Give me the Brady’s or give me death!!!) , but then I watched with my mom and asked questions. This must have been 1973.

So I took an interest in it, found out what happened, learned about the major people involved and tried to understand it as much as a 10-year-old could.

I remember my dad going on and on and on and on and on and on about it, but I didn't understand what was going on.  All I knew was Nixon was an asshole and Agnew was a crook.  I didn't get that visceral distrust of the government until Iran/Contra.  But...but...but...THEY'RE LYING!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/23/13 at 12:58 pm

I really didn't pay too much attention to it when it was happening. I just knew it preempted my t.v shows. So, I guess I just went out and played while it was going on. 

I think it was in 1974, I went down to D.C. to visit my dad which was just about the time he moved down there. He was driving us around the city and pointed to a building and said, "That is the Watergate building. That is where it ALL started."

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/23/13 at 10:58 pm

Or Nixon was a crook and Agnew was an asshole.

america can't stand pat. we can't stand pat.
-veep richard m. nixon, nixon-kennedy debate, 1960

Written By: 80sfan on 04/26/13 at 12:49 pm

Ahh, I was born in 1988 so I didn't exist in this dimension yet! 8)

Written By: nally on 04/26/13 at 12:50 pm

Neither did I, as I entered the world in 1980.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/26/13 at 1:43 pm

Neither did I, as I entered the world in 1980.

80s babies unite!  8)

Written By: warped on 04/26/13 at 2:38 pm

just knew it preempted my t.v shows. So, I guess I just went out and played while it was going on. 

That was my life as well. Similar age. Makes sense. I did ask questions though (about watergate)

Written By: Howard on 04/26/13 at 7:11 pm

I was only 6 months old when Watergate took place.

Written By: warped on 04/26/13 at 7:18 pm

I was only 6 months old when Watergate took place.

When Nixon resigned you were 5 months old, yup.

Check for new replies or respond here...