inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did Led Zeppelin peak in popularity (in the US)?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 04/15/13 at 1:12 pm

What years would you put as Led Zeppelin's peak of popularity--when they were in essence in the biggest band in the US? I myself would say between 1971 and 1976.

Subject: Re: When did Led Zeppelin peak in popularity (in the US)?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/16/13 at 1:04 pm

Zep was a constant among early Gen-X.  People who were in high school in the late seventies.  I think they were even more popular with Gen-X than with the Boomers.  I'd say they were most universally loved in the late seventies and early eighties.  Their touring and recording career was earlier, but Zep was such a staple on FM radio that their popularity didn't die down until the nineties.  Zep-Zep IV, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti, and Presence were standard issue for just about every kid who liked rock music.  Even my little brother, who was all about the Dead Kennedys and The Cramps, went through a Led Zeppelin phase.  That was all he listened to for months and that was 1991!
8)

Written By: warped on 04/16/13 at 4:26 pm

I'm not in the U.S but I'll answer this from a Canadian's viewpoint.

I can't speak for the early 1970s (since I really didn't know who they were), but I was made aware of them in 1973 or 1974.

Zeppelin were very popular when I was in high school (1975-1980). Without a doubt, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and the Stones were the 3 most popular bands/acts during that period at my high school, and also that reflected in what was getting FM radio play in my area.

Furthermore, I'd say Zeppelin was popular based on their material from Led Zeppelin 1 all the way through to Physical Graffiti. "Presence" wasn't a great album (other than "Achilles last stand" and a few others) and "In through the out door" sucked compared to their early stuff.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/16/13 at 8:08 pm

I'm not in the U.S but I'll answer this from a Canadian's viewpoint.

I can't speak for the early 1970s (since I really didn't know who they were), but I was made aware of them in 1973 or 1974.

Zeppelin were very popular when I was in high school (1975-1980). Without a doubt, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and the Stones were the 3 most popular bands/acts during that period at my high school, and also that reflected in what was getting FM radio play in my area.

Furthermore, I'd say Zeppelin was popular based on their material from Led Zeppelin 1 all the way through to Physical Graffiti. "Presence" wasn't a great album (other than "Achilles last stand" and a few others) and "In through the out door" sucked compared to their early stuff.

"All My Love" is a great song.  It brings back strong memories of the early eighties.  Like I said, it was on the radio constantly.  Never released as a single.  Never charted.  It was all AOR radio play.  That was another era for radio.  The DJs had some discretion over what they were going to play.  Imagine commercial radio where you could choose a side 2 deep cut and listeners would call up and request it over and over!  Nowadays it's all handed down from corporate headquarters in San Antonio.  F*ck, you don't even get and album anymore, you just press the buttons on the computer and shill for the sponsors.  Anyway, I'm ranting...
::)

Written By: warped on 04/16/13 at 9:11 pm

"All My Love" is a great song.  It brings back strong memories of the early eighties.  Like I said, it was on the radio constantly.  Never released as a single.  Never charted.  It was all AOR radio play.  That was another era for radio. 

It did get lots of airplay, on both AM and FM radio. So did "Fool in the rain". 
About the time "Fool in the rain" was released as a single, a buddy of mine broke up with his girlfriend. He was depressed and went outside into his backyard. It was pouring rain. He lifted his arms up (so he told me) and sang "Fool in the rain", while in the rain.

"Now my body is starting to quiver, and the palms of my hands getting wet
I've got no reason to doubt you baby, It's all a terrible mess
I'll run in the rain till I'm breathless, when I'm breathless I'll run till I drop, hey
The thoughts of a fool's kind of careless, I'm just a fool waiting on the wrong block"

His mom found it very odd behavior, so he told me later that night on the phone.

Oh Andy.

Written By: Lindee on 04/17/13 at 2:19 pm

Same here.  I was in HS from 1976-1979.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/17/13 at 3:24 pm

"All My Love" is a great song.  It brings back strong memories of the early eighties.  Like I said, it was on the radio constantly.  Never released as a single.  Never charted.  It was all AOR radio play.  That was another era for radio.  The DJs had some discretion over what they were going to play.  Imagine commercial radio where you could choose a side 2 deep cut and listeners would call up and request it over and over!  Nowadays it's all handed down from corporate headquarters in San Antonio.  F*ck, you don't even get and album anymore, you just press the buttons on the computer and shill for the sponsors.  Anyway, I'm ranting...

"All of my Love" reminds me so much of high school.

Cat

Written By: warped on 04/23/13 at 6:56 pm

Same here.  I was in HS from 1976-1979.

Basically if you were in high school at the time (1975-80) and you didn't like Led Zeppelin, you were treated as something was wrong with you. Alternatively, if you liked disco, you were treated as something was wrong with you.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/23/13 at 7:58 pm

Basically if you were in high school at the time (1975-80) and you didn't like Led Zeppelin, you were treated as something was wrong with you. Alternatively, if you liked disco, you were treated as something was wrong with you.

In my Highschool it was Neil Young. Clabo, as we called him, was God. Other than that, there were two factions:
those who were in the Zeppelin camp and those who were in The Who's camp. I was a Who.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/23/13 at 10:46 pm

There was.  If you liked disco, you were a f*g.  If you liked New Wave, you were a weirdo and a f*g.  If you asked me, I'd say if you like Led Zep, you're a burnout. 

It was all such a shame because it kept people from enjoying great music based on stupid cliques.

Written By: Howard on 04/24/13 at 6:28 am

There was.  If you liked disco, you were a f*g.  If you liked New Wave, you were a weirdo and a f*g.  If you asked me, I'd say if you like Led Zep, you're a burnout.

So they would make fun of you whatever genre you listened to.

Written By: warped on 04/24/13 at 7:01 am

So they would make fun of you whatever genre you listened to.

No, they made fun of you if you liked disco and New Wave.  I can't recall 1 singled incident when anyone made fun of you for liking rock.

There was.  If you liked disco, you were a f*g.  If you liked New Wave, you were a weirdo and a f*g.

That's pretty much how it went.

It was all such a shame because it kept people from enjoying great music based on stupid cliques.

I'm sure it did in some cases.  So there I am at home, I have my Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones and Bee Gees albums...and I'm thinking...either eveyone likes me, or hates me.  ;D    Actually I didn't care. I listen to what I like. Always have.

Check for new replies or respond here...