inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1976 in retrospect

Written By: Ryan112390 on 04/15/13 at 1:21 pm

1976 seems to be to be sort of a transitional year in retrospect. It was America's bicentennial, which was a huge event. It was an election year--the choice between Ford and Kissinger, or between the Washington outside, Jimmy Carter, with Reagan making his name known throughout the country. Disco had already reached mainstream popularity by 1975 and continued it's upward clime to being the biggest genre in music in 1976, it would hit it's peak in 1977 and 1978; Punk was starting to stir and become slowly recognized. Bands like KISS and Aerosmith were starting to become really popular, and the Old Guard in Rock--The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin, who had dominated the early 70s--were slowing down, as was Progressive Rock, and electronic music, which would come into full bloom in the late 70s and early 80s, was beginning around then.

Many of the popular looks that most associate with the 70s--the Farrah Fawcett and John Travolta haircuts, the platform shoes, etc--were big in '76 an well established. The look of the 70s that is most remembered in popular culture today--the post Hippie, loud, gaudy, Disco/Funk/Punk influenced look--was really established in 1976.

In 1976, movies began moving away from the New Wave inspired, thought provoking, deeper films of the early 70s to the more fun, mindlessly entertaining films that would define the rest of the decade and become hot in the '80s.

It was the first year after the fall of Saigon; Vietnam was truly, 100% over; the Civil Rights movement and Women's Lib movements were winding down, with gay rights coming up. America began to move in a more Conservative direction.

I just feel that, if there are certain years in which decades find their identity, 1976 is it for the '70s. The year that the '70s became "The '70s" we remember today.

Subject: Re: 1976 in retrospect

Written By: warped on 04/15/13 at 1:33 pm

Thanks for telling me what 1976 was like when you didn't even experience it.  ;)

I was in high school in 1976. The most popular musical acts in school were the Stones, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen, Genesis and Yes. Disco was not popular at all in my high school. You were actually shunned if you admitted to liking disco.

The years that defined the 70s for me was 1970-1979. Every year was important. I do not look back at the 70s and think "1976" only. I think of the early 70s, mid 70s, late 70s. Very distinct from each other.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/15/13 at 1:41 pm

Thanks for telling me what 1976 was like when you didn't even experience it.  ;)

I was in high school in 1976. The most popular musical acts in school were the Stones, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen, Genesis and Yes. Disco was not popular at all in my high school. You were actually shunned if you admitted to liking disco.

The years that defined the 70s for me was 1970-1979. Every year was important. I do not look back at the 70s and think "1976" only. I think of the early 70s, mid 70s, late 70s. Very distinct from each other.

Totally!

Cat

Written By: Howard on 04/15/13 at 2:27 pm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c9/Taxi_Driver_poster.JPG/220px-Taxi_Driver_poster.JPG

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Rocky-rocky-207417_1024_768.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d7/Carrieposter.jpg/220px-Carrieposter.jpg

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/15/13 at 6:48 pm

Agreed, 1976 was an important and pivotal year in the decade, but not the only important year.  Nonetheless it seemed things evolved a lot culturally during the course of the year.  From my recollection, the Bicentennial celebration was built up a lot beforehand but didn't quite live up to the hype, despite it being pretty cool.  About Disco, it did seem that at the beginning of the year, it "played nice" with other music formats, whereas by the end of the year Disco "took over".  Certainly the election of Jimmy Carter was a big deal.  On a personal note, I was a H.S. Junior then a Senior, and the summer between I cemented my career interest (participating in a university sponsored program to introduce HS students to Engineering), having fun in the process.  The songs from the summer of '76 take me roaring back to that fun time.  :)

Written By: Howard on 04/16/13 at 6:13 am

I was 2 years old and still my baby crib.  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 04/16/13 at 10:32 am

In 1976, I was just an itch in my dad's shorts lol

1976 was the year of this song that I really love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iet8xcsJmg0

Written By: Paul on 04/22/13 at 12:52 pm

Ask any Brit who was around in 1976 and I guarantee they'll respond with one word...

...drought!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/22/13 at 10:18 pm

Henry Kissinger couldn't be president because he is Jewish, I mean, because he wasn't born here.  He was born in Germany.

Check for new replies or respond here...