inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "AWARD" hanging on the walls of 70s - 80s Tv Show sets

Written By: zed300 on 04/24/13 at 3:23 pm

Has anybody ever noticed on MANY sets of TV shows from the 70s – 80s there is a generic “AWARD” hanging on the wall?  It says AWARD across the top in capital letters and usually has a red circle in the lower left hand corner (though I have occasionally seen the circle in other colors), and is probably 8X10 or slightly bigger in size.  I can’t even guess at how many shows I’ve seen this on, but off the top of my head I can remember seeing it on Mary Tyler Moore, Barney Miller, Quincy, WKRP In Cincinnati and countless other shows.  I swear it must have put in an appearance on almost every show made in the 70s/80s.  I tried Google to see if there was any info, but came up empty.  I was just wondering if anyone here also noticed this ever present prop.

Subject: Re: "AWARD" hanging on the walls of 70s - 80s Tv Show sets

Written By: snozberries on 04/24/13 at 10:19 pm

It's set dressing. They need "awards" to hang on walls in offices to make people look like the characters achieved stuff and need to use generic ones ie ones that dont have to be cleared because they use actual names or real affiliations so they went the generic "award"

Check for new replies or respond here...